Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Dodgy Brakes.

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training Dodgy Brakes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

My knee hurts today. lol

How do you teach a dog when to put the brakes on? Cass still has a slight tendancy to run into me from a distant recall & yesterday over the field i did a long distance recall but i could see all too late she wasn’t going to stop & she headbutted my kneecap at high speed.

She was ok, she whimpered very faintly because it winded her but she was honestly fine and unhurt – i came off worse myself. Her recall from distance is so sharp & i am really happy with it but i just wish she would put the brakes on in time because she gets up so much speed and hurtles directly at me & i don’t really want airbags fitted to my sandals. LOL

What’s the secret to not being floored at 60km per hour?

wags

move quicker  😉

kizkiznobite

i just answered this  ::)

if clickering then click about 4ft – 6ft away depending on speed and throw treat near feet

Gracie

stand infront of a hedge, fence, brick wall and jump out of her way P+ she will learn to stop  >:D
    (just to clarify i am joking  ;D)

Sweetypye

When you find the answer Mark let me know, I have still to perfect the jump and move to the side manouevre!

*Lassie*

Or tell her to sit or down just BEFORE she kneecaps you ;D ;D

Anonymous

LOL it’s not just me then? Bev silly question – click and throw a treat at her feet or mine?

kizkiznobite

;D – it real hard to explain this

ami was a at ya dog

what i did was let her see the huge treat in hand clicked at about 4 ft away and dropped at my feet to the side slightly about 2ft away – it sort of slowed her down – the click for the decision ( helen phillips idea) sort of slowed her so she then focused on the treat delivey place – once she had that idea we were able to establish some speed control

wags

what i do is put my both my hands palm facing down at the dogs approx appropriate height it seems to slow my dogs right down when they get to me and belive me if you think its scarry having Cass run at you try Flyte what she lacks in body mass she makes up for in speed

kizkiznobite

errrm wags

actually – cass does speed real good so on a ration of mass/speed …give me flyte  😀

Anonymous

pmsl i’m thinking more painful than scary. It’s a bit like being hit by a Rhino.  ;D

hehe Honey dont move quick enough to damage an ants kneecaps let alone mine – all assuming she could reach my kneecaps  😀

*Nat*

Lol Mark I can relate to this, I had Piper and a 9 stone Rottie come through my legs from behind – knocked my feet from under me and I felt straight on my a*se  ;D  ::)

Piper comes flying to me sometimes, always goes one side or the other though  😀 I find it’s best to stand still as if I move you can bet she’s going the same way  😀

Anonymous

Cass did that to me last year, she ran through the back of my legs and i went flat on my back, i sort of landed propped on my elbows and i tried to look really cool so people would think i was sunbathing. lol  ;D

See if i stand still she will run directly at me & she wont go to the side til the very last second & i can’t hold my nerve long enough to stay put because i think she’ll hit me if i stand still.

We walk a great dane who charges past just enough to make you think he’s going to crash into you then changes direction at the last second  ::) 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime