Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

feeding wet + mixer

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health feeding wet + mixer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi,

Since I swapped the dogs to ND/NH + terrier meal the volume of their poop has gone up enormously and I just cannot understand it as I thought the better food – the more of it the dog absorbs?  Instead of one dryish well formed poop a day like on Burns complete I am now getting 2-3 much wetter just about formed poops per dog.  It happened on changeover to ND and is the same pretty much with NH.  I’m not happy about it as it seems like they arent getting nutrients from it ?

Any advice (pleeease dont say raw – I just cant manage it).

Claire x

Anonymous

Why can’t you manage it Claire?

**Woofums**

Claire I’m a veggie & feed mine raw.
    I find doing the baked liver a bit err challenging to say the least, but the Dogs are so well & happy.
    You can by the freeflow tripe (doesn’t smell) & I feed Nature Diet when we go away.

*Nat*

I changed over to Natures Harvest a few months ago then changed to Nature Diet about a month back – Piper still has raw bones and she’ll have raw chicken wings for breakfast with ND and mixer for her evening meal – not noticed any difference in her poos though  :-\

Do they have bones at all Claire?

Anonymous

Hi,

they have bones when aunty bev brings them for us 🙂

i cant manage it because

1. unless i get to certain butcher on certain day and time i cant get any bones

2. i have nowhere to store bones or meat when i get them our freezer is full and so is the fridge most of the week.

3. i dont have any time in the day to spend preparing dog food *I* dont eat till getting on for 10pm some nights as it is !

4. bones make them sick and runny and its me who has to cope with smell in house and cleaning it all up again.

5. the only place they could eat is outside – bit of a problem on rainey days lol !!

Claire x

p.s. i can get AMP stuff but bev told me it not the right thing to have?

whats AMP?

Anonymous

anglian meat products (ppl who make pet food quality frozen animal bits and freeflow mince)

i am seriously thinking of swapping them all back to dry because i’m at my wits end – i dont understand why better food = more poop 🙁

claire x

oh right

sorry ive got no advice, but good luck with what ever you do 🙂 :-*

GSPmad

i have no experience of feeding wet + mixer. but maybe there is simply something in the food that doesn’t suit them? i thought you’d been feeding them on it for a while and they’d been fine – or have they been like this all the time on it? if recent – bad batch of food\ gut infections etc?

also – if they are getting enough fluid in, the poo aint going to be as hard as it would on just dry if they aren’t taking enough in.  🙂 IYSWIM.

Anonymous

Hi,

they went like this as soon as i swapped from Burns (fish + rice) to wet + mixer (all sorts of flavours)

i’m just getting thoroughly fed up of it now and i cannot understand what is happening.

yep ISWYM – one reason i swapped was because Bonnie was constipated all the time from not taking enough water in with the dry food but i might just soak it and see whats what if i swap back.  i am just fed up of it – they seem to poop out more than i give them and still maintain weight, nice coats (better than ever), fit, putting on muscle in mistys case as she needed to etc … no signs that it doesnt suit them in that way.

Claire x

Anonymous

Cass has the Prize Choice stuff from AMP, always has had it & i just add the other stuff to it. Takes about 3 minutes at night time to prepare next days dinners for her. I know it’s one of those things you either do or don’t enjoy the thought of. I have never been able to cook or handle offal of any kind until i started raw feeding. The smell of liver cooking was so bad i had to leave the house, in fact the smell made me so ill my mum stopped making herself liver & onions! lol

GSPmad

if they looking good on it it sounds like they are getting the nutrients they need.  🙂 maybe cut down amounts a little bit?  :-\ think if you give too much you can get fit dogs just getting rid of excess instead of getting fat  :-\ and once misty finds her forever home there will be a third less poo.  🙂

Anonymous

no-one wants her tho 🙁  not one single person in all this time 🙁  i am trying !!

they only get 1/6th of a pack of wet per meal and a hand full of terrier meal as it is !  i’m worried cutting down might make them drop weight?

mark – i dont even prep my own meat lol !!  🙂

to be honest, we struggle to feed ourselves and harry a balanced diet due to lack of time 🙁

Claire x

GSPmad

someone will want her – the right person.  😉 she not been up for homing that long.  🙂

i know f all about feeding – you should see my diet  :-X actually you shouldn’t, i can’t even remember the last time i ate fruit or veg  ::) and as for the rest of it  :-X. but you could try reducing food and if they drop weight up it again.  🙂 or maybe increase mixer and decrease wet?  :-\ like i said never done wet + mixer so don’t know re balance.

[quote author=piglet link=topic=12062.msg231838#msg231838 date=1216749360]
    no-one wants her tho 🙁  not one single person in all this time 🙁  i am trying !!

[/quote]

:'( I want her  :-*

Claire, what about giving the burns again – and giving Bonnie dog something to ‘keep her going’  🙂 maybe some fish in oil that made her loose didnt it so maybe it might be enough to keep her regular but not uncomfortable? Otherwise I really dont know what to suggest  :-\

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime