Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

barking help needed

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training barking help needed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Jenny s

hi all

i havent been on for awhile but now i really could do with your help.

in the next 3/4 weeks we are moving house to a smaller place surrounded by neighbours(thats not the problem)
    my two cavaliers bark constantly if someone knocks the door/rings the bell. they also bark at people going by, the one is frightened by people coming in the house and will bark and bark at them, this started when she was a pup and a friend walked in with bike helmet on and dark clothes. is there anyway i cant teach them to stop barking. lately we have had people come view our house and i just ignored molly who would not stop barking.

please help

.dodger.

Not much advise from me except maybe you could get the bark on cue and then get the quite on cue. It worked with dodger. Other’s will be able to give you some more advise 🙂

kizkiznobite

it depends on how much re-enforcement they have had to date but yes i would get the bark on cue….

what have you said and done in the past to manage this?

Jenny s

i tell them to be quiet or sshh(got that from ceaser’s tv programe) but it never has worked. so now i ignore them.

kizkiznobite

in order for them to understand the off switch…the have to understand the on switch

if someone said mango to you in chinese??  🙂 with me?

there are threads on here re getting the bark on cue….

am a bit busy but am sure someone will find you the link if you can’t get it from the search engine  🙂

Jenny s

thanks bev ive found it. will get the clicker out and make a start.

thanks again ;D

Jenny s

well i still need help. ive followed what the thread said about cues but they dont seem to have learnt anything at all. ive been click and treating like it says below but when i say the word they look at me as if im stupid. the word ive be using is talk.
    what am i doing wrong ???

“she barks, and you encourage her to keep barking  – you say plum – click (or marker such as good girl) then reward  – over and over until she barks every time you say plum”

they dont know what the cue means yet – how many sessions have you done?

Jenny s

its ok now ive got some great help on the way, will keep you posted ;D

Jenny s

well the great help arrived today, and gosh ive learnt so much i dont no were to start.

the dogs are tired lol

i have learnt how to use a clicker, how to do freeshaping and so much more but cant remember all the names.
    i was going completly wrong with training as i was using name, commcand and hand signal all at the same time so no wonder why they didnt learn anything,Bev has shown me how to do it properly with just signals and its working ;D
    molly did some freeshaping and was good at it but Bev noticed that if she didnt do something correctly she would shut down and give up. this i just thought was being thick. shw was soo excited when she was doing it right it was so nice to see.
    the barking problem Bev cured so easily which i can actually do too ;D it seems common sence really the way she showed me how to do it so ive phone every one that comes to the house and told them to wait untill i answer the door to them, hubby was shocked when he came home  😮
    i was in shock when bev got jess(who is a pig) to leave liver cake 5 inches or so from her nose. 😮
    Bev also has shown me who is the pack manager and it turns out i was wrong , i thought it was molly as she is more of a bully but no its jess.

not sure what else to put my brain is tired but am so greatful to bev for coming round.  :-*

.dodger.

wow sounds like you’ve had a good day ;D ;D Glad you’ve got the barking under control now ;D
    think i’m gunna have to find away to get Bev up to see the Big D 😀

kizkiznobite

🙂 they a pair of wee sweeeties..they really are..they a credit to you in many many ways..2 entire girlies of a demanding breed with no real behavioural issues speaks volumes…they wee snugglebums both of them…

you just got lost in the mire a little bit..they will do fine…

nice to meet them.. you and your daughter

hope it wasnt too mind blasting…you will surviive doing the abacab i promise…have you done it with daughter yet  ;D

bet they all tired and sleepysleepy  😀

have a nice quiet evening…everything starts tomorrow  😉

Aww how lovely, sounds like you got a lot out of having Bev visit  ;D

Izzie

Sounds like you gained a lot from Bev’s visit!

Have fun continuing the training!  ;D ;D

Jenny s

well its been a week since bev visited as all is going well.

molly is doing well with people at the door as long as she is allowed to go greet, hand signals are working fab the no the sit, down and wait.

i am really pleased with how they are both doing  but its all down to bev showing me how to do it properly.  ;D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime