Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Intoducing’ Minnie’

Home Archive Forums General Category Puppy talk Intoducing’ Minnie’

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Debs5501

Just dropped by to say hi and introduce Minnie.

Minnie is a 14½ week old Puggle.
    Adorable – but very, very naughty.

She likes nothing better than to chew any part of me she can, which results in me now having several puncture wounds on my hands and forearms – Painful!
    I discipline with a firm NO! and then a smack / tap to the hind quarters, if my voice has no effect.

This just makes her worse and she re-launches herself with even more aggression ???
    I know this is an attempt to assert herself as ‘ Pack-leader’ or ‘Top Dog’
    but is this usual in a pup so small ?

I’m confident that as she matures, the attacks will stop- but there is also a nagging doubt that she’ll get worse.

I do get lots of hugs and cuddles when she’s tired and wants to fall asleep in my arms – so it’s not all bad.

Anyone else had a similar experience ??

Best regards
    Debs

Attachments:

Hi and welcome

First off, dogs don’t grow out of things, they grow INTO things!  If she can bite and get her way now, she’ll do it all the more as a stronger adult.

secondly, when you smack her, she isn’t asserting herself, she’s defending herself!!  What is usual in a puppy is the play biting behaviour which has now turned a corner.  Im thinking she’s more than likely getting excited when things escalate rather than learning the right thing to do.  Remember YOU have to teach her how to behave, she’s only doing what dogs do  :ok:

She’s also getting a bit old for you not to have set the groundrules yet, im off to find you some stuff too read

*Lassie*

I discipline with a firm NO! and then a smack / tap to the hind quarters, if my voice has no effect.

Sorry but that won’t work, she is not trying to be Top dog she just hasn’t learnt bite inhibition yet.

If she bites you yelp and turn away and ignore her, no telling her off, no eye contact. That is the end of play time and contact with you, she will try to make contact – you can then fuss her but if she nips again withdraw all contact and ignore her. She will soon learn that this is unacceptable behaviour and will stop. If you smack her you will make her worse, remember she is a baby and doesn’t know any better.  

Easiest soloution – remove yourself, just get up and walk away if she cant play nice then you dont play at all – once shes calm go back and try again. She will soon realise that biting mummy isnt the way to go. Is worth doing a search on the board too as am sure we have covered this for other owners too  😉 is a common problem.

And hello and welcome – and that is one cute shirt your pups wearing – shes very cute!  😉

xtine

Hi… what’s a puggle?

Pug X Beagle  🙂

Anonymous

A cross breed.  Pug x Beagle.

Debs5501

Hi

A Puggle is a hybrid.
    Mum is a Beagle, Daddy a Pug 

Pure bred x Pure bred  =  F1 Hybrid ( Puggle)

Or in other words a cross breed.

Debs

xtine

thanks  🙂 what a mix

Anonymous

what does the F1 stand for?

Debs5501

F1 or Filial 1

Is the term given to selective breeding of distinctly different parental types.

I’m confident that as she matures, the attacks will stop- but there is also a nagging doubt that she’ll get worse.

[/quote]
    :nono: :nono:
    Don’t smack, its not needed and unfair. Lassies advice was spot on for stopping play biting. As long as you are consistant :ok: Loss of your attention is far more affective than a smack  😉

*Lassie*

[quote author=jaydex link=topic=13069.msg251914#msg251914 date=1226875338]
    [/quote]

F1 Hybrid in plants means a pure cross which is sterile ::)
    Suppose she means both parents were pure bred but as a breeder would not want to use their bloodline to produce x breeds the parents may not have been health checked or KC reg. so no guarantee they were pure bred

[quote author=jaydex link=topic=13069.msg251914#msg251914 date=1226875338]
    [/quote]

Its the first cross  🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime