Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

chestnuts…

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health chestnuts…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    xtine

good or bad for dogs?

And shells? Fritz has been picking up bits of shell off the floor and is clearly enjoying them…

Anonymous

Horse chestnuts are poisonous to dogs. It causes a reduction in red blood cells.

If it’s Water Chestnut eaten uncooked, the surface of the plants can transmit Fasciolopsiasis

[quote author=xtine link=topic=13154.msg253245#msg253245 date=1227813520]
    good or bad for dogs?

And shells? Fritz has been picking up bits of shell off the floor and is clearly enjoying them…
    [/quote]

xtine

are horse chestnuts the ones I’m eating? Am not sure  :-\ def not water chestnuts.. they the ones you put in a stir fry aren’t they?

xtine

am eating sweet chestnuts…

*Lassie*

[quote author=xtine link=topic=13154.msg253248#msg253248 date=1227815169]
    are horse chestnuts the ones I’m eating? Am not sure  :-\ def not water chestnuts.. they the ones you put in a stir fry aren’t they?
    [/quote]

Horse Chestnuts better known as conkers 😉

This taken from wikipedia
    Chestnuts should not be confused with either Horse Chestnuts (genus Aesculus), or Water Chestnut (family Cyperaceae); these are unrelated to Castanea and are named for producing nuts of similar appearance but of no notable edibility in the case of the former, and tubers of similar taste from an aquatic herbaceous plant in the case of the latter.

Diesel73

[quote author=xtine link=topic=13154.msg253248#msg253248 date=1227815169]
    are horse chestnuts the ones I’m eating? Am not sure  :-\
    [/quote]
    If the outer green shell stings like a hedgehog it not a horse chestnut. If it smooth with little spikes it horse chestnut  😉 .

My boys eat chesnuts and wallnuts. They find them themselves. Got of each,about 120 year old trees. Massive harvest this year.

They were selling roasted chesnuts outside asdas today – smelled luverly but i dont like them  😛

Diesel73

Nooooo, fresh from the tree. Never taste better than straight from the tree. Walnuts too. You don’t need a cracker, can crack them with you fingers. Taste is delicious  😉 .

Not really a fan of anything like that……….. 😛

*Lassie*

I love roast chestnuts, to me that is Christmas 🙂

Diesel73

[quote author=*Lassie* link=topic=13154.msg253408#msg253408 date=1227994841]
    [/quote]
    Everybody who lives near me and dares to mention that gets a ‘come on over, what you can pick up and cary, you can have’ from me  😉 .

*Lassie*

[quote author=Diesel73 link=topic=13154.msg253411#msg253411 date=1227995175]
    [quote author=*Lassie* link=topic=13154.msg253408#msg253408 date=1227994841]
    [/quote]
    Everybody who lives near me and dares to mention that gets a ‘come on over, what you can pick up and cary, you can have’ from me  😉 .
    [/quote]

Wish I lived close to you ;D love collecting any of nature’s harvest- it’s free and it tastes better than anything you can buy in the shops

Nature’s harvest is the best!  My grandparents live in Holland as my mam is Dutch, I really miss them and they are really getting old; they have had to move to a maisonette from the house they lived in for 55 years, my mam and aunts and uncle were born in that house so it had many happy memories, as a kid I used to love going out with Opa to get the fallen hazelnuts from the garden, they also had grapes growing up the side of the house and all the vegetables you can imagine growing, I used to eat all day long! 

[quote author=TobyTeaCosy and Angela link=topic=13154.msg253425#msg253425 date=1228045394]
    I used to eat all day long! 
    [/quote]

Me too!  😀  My granda has an allotment, has for as long as i’ve been around.  When it was harvest festival at school, i used to dread it because while the other kids brought in a tin of peas, i had basically the whole garden to carry round to school, i can remember crying coz the bags were so heavy  😀

i’d really like an allotment but its soooo hard to get one and its a big commitment.  My granda used to keep turkeys and all sorts of birds up until a few years ago, it was very hard work.  He would sleep at the allotment in a shed in the nights running up to xmas because people were after the turkeys!  😮

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime