Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Party Tricks

Home Archive Forums Dogs Advanced Dog Training Party Tricks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mudgie

I have got various exercises to teach nooch for Progressive Dog Training. :educated:

One being that I can choose 4 from a list of 10 exercises for him to (hopefully) perform on the day.  He has 5 mandatory and 4 of my choice.  :-\

So I wanted to do a party trick. This is the only one where I can use a bit of imagination so I want to do my usual of “thinking outside the box”. 

It has to display control and enjoyment.  So been thinking about this – he can do the roll over but thought this was rather boring. 

So I thought if I sneezed (which would be my cue) and he brought me a tissue then put the tissue in a bin when I was finished would that be considered a party trick or just a clever pooch.  Then I thought – where is the “enjoyment” in that  ::)

Can your dog do any “party tricks”  :-\  If so, what  ???  Looking for inspiration here.

.dodger.

dodger can sniff out money 😀 Benji can sneeze on cue and Luci can slam herself to the ground playing dead…

not sure what you could do?  ???

you definatly need ‘take a bow’ though :yes:

what are the 5 mandatory one’s?

kendal

you coud teach him to go down on a blanket and rowl over while holding a corner so he will be coverying himself up, like he is going to bed.

Izzie

Get him to put his toys away in the toybox?

Fetch your glasses, slippers and book?

Few suggestions…….

how about a few dance moves  ;D spin and twist, jump over your leg, weave walking OR
    Put all his toys away into a basket on command OR
    Speak (well bark) on command OR
    Get someone to ring your mob or another phone and teach him to fetch it  ;D
    Balance a biscuit on his nose without him moving ( this one is impossible for my labradors!)
    Retrieve objects by name

wags

Oban can do

weave round legs while i walk
    figure of 8 round legs
    if i shoot him with a water pistol he drops down dead
    twist and spin on hind legs
    high 5’s and high 10’s in sit and on hind legs
    lie on a target

uhm will think of more

*Lassie*

We had a best tricks comp at a sheltie show. One little sheltie played a kids piano, collected up the dishes and put them in the washing up bowl. Picked up his toys and put them in the toy box, put the ‘baby’ in a pram and pushed the pram around. He could also count and add up 😮
    Tam can speak, crawl and walk backwards and spin both ways and play’ find the lady’-3 cups, put a treat under one of the cups and move them about, dog has to find the correct cup. Willow can speak, weave, walk backwards and spin both ways. Or you could try to teach him a scent test.

Mudgie

some of the stuff on the list is on the mandatory

Emergency Stop – can do this on whistle
    Going through gate and door – can do this just need to firm up control
    walking to heel off lead – does this when he feels like it so started work on that already
    come back when called – easy peasy but need him to sit when he comes back so working on that – but no issues
    pick up dropped article – starting this one at weekend – I have taught him not to touch stuff on ground and not touch it if it isn’t his so he tends not to even lift toys if he cant scent himself from it.  However I have a cunning plan for this one  😉  Involving gloves and his ball – eventually the ball will disappear from within and he will pick up the gloves  ;D

The stuff I have chosen is

Speak on cue – he can do this
    girve us a twirl – we half way there with this cos he has done before
    knowing different toys – need to introduce names
    search and find – sorted
    jump with control over hurdle – just a be more control needed here.

I only have to do 4 of the chosen out of a possible ten but I have chosen more to up the ante and to see how we get on and really because he is half way there if not all the way with most of them.  I want to do a party trick  ;D

I like the water pistol one wags  ;D

smart arse!  :tease:  :canadian:

Anonymous

hi,

how about teaching him something soft-mouthed like collecting up 2 eggs, a sausage and a slice of bread and place them in frying pan – if you want to go for the full effect, take portable camping stove and balance pan on that and then cue him to bring you matches and a plate when its cooked?

claire x

Izzie

[quote author=piglet link=topic=13338.msg256361#msg256361 date=1230917950]
    hi,

how about teaching him something soft-mouthed like collecting up 2 eggs, a sausage and a slice of bread and place them in frying pan – if you want to go for the full effect, take portable camping stove and balance pan on that and then cue him to bring you matches and a plate when its cooked?

claire x
    [/quote]

I am training Jess to collect eggs and put them in a pot

only problem was she ate the eggs  ::)

😀 😀 😀

Mudgie

[quote author=piglet link=topic=13338.msg256361#msg256361 date=1230917950]
    hi,

claire x
    [/quote]

you honestly think that nacho will put anything edible near his mouth and not eat it  ;D  No chance  ;D  Unless it is penicillin there is no hope of that  ;D

Anonymous

I’d like to teach Loki some more stuff actually – am liking these ideas!

The one people always like that Loki does is walking backwards – he does it either from heel as I walk back – or from a visual cue when i am facing him – or a verbal cue from anywhere – he does it at distance too – don’t know why people like it but they do  ::)

he does High fives, gives paw (left one is different command to right one – both visual and verbal) and does a high ten.

He also does a jump up and kiss you on the cheek thing (an accident when i was trying to put jumping up on cue – only have visual cue for that one) – which you have to brace yourself for, but he is quite gentle  😀

his are all tame tho… love the water pistol one wags  ;D

*Nick*

oooh widget you should teach Loki the backwards weave then, it very impressive  :ok:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime