Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

chased deer

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training chased deer

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    deebee

took max to the airfield today, off lead.

there is a part that is a big piece of grass then small woods then grass the other side of that then woods again. crows on field, he looked like going to chase and i said leave and he did.  bunnys abound near the woods and he went off and had his head down a rabbit hole and it took me walking off to get him away.

next thing i know, he crashes in and i hear a bark and a flash of brown. i think maybe its another dog but out come 3 deer about 50ft away from me with max following behind!

they were heading for the next bit of woods and i hoped he would give up  there but he was not going to stop.

i stood there thinking that deer run across roads, he will lose his direction etc, when they come back out back towards the first woods. he nowhere to be seen. they go in woods and then he appears. because hes lost sight off them, i whistle and he comes. he was a little black dot.

im upset over this because hes had muntjac crossing in front of him before and bunnies near and he has looked but not chased (except bunnies once and i called him off). he found it thrilling and i dont know what to. am i over reacting?

i knew i was heading for a backward step as he has been improving lately but not this. it was as if he had the devil in him today. it was the furthest hes gone from me and been out of sight and it was scarey.

Sweetypye

Whether or not a dog chases or not is down to several factors

the proximits of the prey
    the proximity of the owner
    the degree of SEC (sudden environmental contrast)
    arousal state of the dog prior to chase
    the breed
    how much success it has had

If your dog is in sight hopefully it should give you a clue when it goes into deer alert mode, if it is not, you are not on to a winner!

I would not get too wound up about it, accept the fact that most people do not have 100% recall in 100% of circumstances.

deebee

thanks for replying. that makes sense.

he is usually in front of me unless he finds a smell. this was one such time. first thing i knew about it was when i heard him crashing through the undergrowth. it happened so fast.

he was obviously in the mood by the way he was with the bunnies and my luck that the first time hes in this mood is when the deer are there.

as far as hes concerned it was very successful.

i didnt really expect the recall in the circumstance, it was the disappearing that worried me. he usually doesnt go far at all. the only reason he came back into sight was because the deer turned round and came back.

i know that next time he will be on alert to do it again and go looking.

Hi,

*hugs* to you – i have lost sight of foster dogs in the past and its terrifying i know 🙁

Claire x

deebee

he was devil dog today. not in my good books, not that he seems to care.

Anonymous

They never do…

Loki chased a deer once ages ago… he soon discovered he couldn’t keep up and gave up – but he certainly wasn’t listening to me. So I know how you feel too!

kizkiznobite

did you blow a stop?

he stopped on a bunny when with us…………..
    but yep it the chase…the movement as much as anything….

deebee

i never even thought of the stop! thought alot of things, but not that.

with me, the stop has to be combined with the visual cue. think i need to put in more practice with it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime