Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Leonbergers

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dog Breeds Leonbergers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Monochroma

I’ve been looking for a new dog for a while now, ever since Mickey died to be honest, but I’ve never really had a specific interest in any breed until recently. A few weeks ago I met this absolutely lovely Leonberger (a 4yr old boy called Jacob <3) and he seemed ideal for what I was looking for. I want an active dog but not one that I have to jog to keep up with (I hike and ramble a lot) and from what I could gleam from Jacob's doting owner, the Leonberger fits this perfectly. So I was wondering if anyone else has had experence of this lovely breed, either owning or not?

*Lassie*

Raindog has a Leo pup

https://www.resources.dogclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=14133.msg266173#msg266173
    pictures on this thread 😉

They are a beautiful breed for sure. But check out what health checks they need – i know of someone who bought two unchecked, the male developed serious hd  :-\

Val

Be aware this is a giant breed that has both hip and elbow problems IMO I would not call them a great breed for walking and hiking they suffer from the heat in summer and have to be cared for like other giant breeds
    Val

Sweetypye

Ditto above, they are a cross between the St Bernard and Newfoundland so have all their issues too.

.dodger.

I’m glad you started this thread as i am thinking of getting a Leo in the next couple of years too :yes:

They are a gorgeous dog but as above you have to be careful with hip and elbow’s 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime