Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Residential puppy training

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training Residential puppy training

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    leeatgolf81

Dear All,

I wondered if anyone knows of residential puppy training courses in or around the Braintree, Chelmsford, Colchester kind of area.

Numerous places do it from 6 months, but no younger.

Even better would be a residential pup and owner course.

Any ideas???

sorry can’t help. just wondered why you want to chose this method of training? i really wouldn’t recomend it because when the pup comes back how will you know the techniques to keep up the training? a pup and owner one would be better but don’t know of any  🙂 have you thought about normal weekly training classes?

Stumpywop

Hi,

Are you asking for yourself? How old is your pup? To be hnest, I think you and you alone should train your pup the basics up to AT LEAST 6 months old. I have no scientific basis for saying this – it’s just my opinionan dhow I do things with my dogs.

Also, what breed is your dog? I own GSDs and the oldest in incredibly clingy. Would never let anyone else train him so there are advantages to doing it yourself.

I don’t agree with others training your pup for you. At the end of the day, why would you have a new pup then send it away to be trasined. PArt of the responsibility in my view includes training and as already stated, how would you know what techniques or methods to use.

Having said that, I don’t see what’s wrong with residntial courses forpups and owners, but are there goo dpoints about getting that much training done in such a short time? How much realistically can a young pup take in? After all, these courses aren’t cheap and have to be worth the money for people to attend.

I know of one in Cardiff – nowhere near you I know. I had considered it for my dogs. They run their courses in obedience, agility, security – basically anything you want your dog trainined in – they run a course to cover it. It’s usually over a weekend for about 6-8 weekends, depending on attendance etc. The one an dONLy reason Ichose NOT to go was because I’d have ahd to board my dog(s) at the insititution concerned. There was nowhere nearby that I could stay and take the dogs with me. OK so it would only be for 12 or 2 nights at a time, but with a clingy GSD, he wouldn’t have reaped the full benefit of the course.
    As I recall, the course is approx £50 for the weekend.

There is also “Royvon” residential training who train dogs in all diferent areas (even if just boaridng your dog whilst on holiday) who run courses in South Wales and in Surrey. Is Surrey anywhere nar you? (Sorry – geography isn’t my strong point!)

It’s something I intend to look into again for my furries. Do you want me to send you the details anyway?

Laura xx

Izzie

[quote author=leeatgolf81 link=topic=14237.msg266951#msg266951 date=1242332889]
    Dear All,

I wondered if anyone knows of residential puppy training courses in or around the Braintree, Chelmsford, Colchester kind of area.

Any ideas???
    [/quote]

You dont need a residential training course, you need to get on a pet class and train the dog yourself. there are plenty of decent training clubs you and pup can attend in your area.

**Woofums**

I’ve seen a Dog totally ruined after 2 weeks residential training.(without owner)
    On the final day,the owner was given an hours instruction & sent home.
    The poor Dog was so confused it became a total thug & reverted back to a totally untrained Dog, with terrible seperation anxiety.

This outfit advertise in the Dog press & promise help & aftercare, unfortunately it wasn’t forthcoming.

As young pups learn at different rates & are easiliy overworked, leading them to switch off, an hour session would even be too much.
    They learn more in short positive sessions.
    I know of a great Sunday morning puppy class in Herts (leading onto working trials, security, patrol, agility etc if you want)….P.M me if you’d like details.

Stumpywop

How old is the pup concerned?

As Woofums said, young dogs need short bursts of trianing. they’re the same as us in that they xan only learn so much at a certasin rate and then need a break. You wouldn’t want tooverload him too early.

When he’s older f you want to progress thenlookinto residential training then, But don’t ever leave him to be trained by someone else. After all, you need to know how to do whatever it is he’s being trained for – otherwise he won’t work for you.

I think residential training can be beneficial, but only if the owner is there with the dogs and does their research properly into what’s on offer. Aftercare woul dbe absolutly essential for me. The circumstances have to be right and the dog has to be ready for it. (So does the owner).

Are there no puppy/training classes near to where you live? You could start by going to a 30/60 minutes class once a week and building it up from there.
    Where ever you decide to gofor training,make sure they use only positive methods or reward based methods. This will help to ensure a happy, healthy well trained dog.

My dogs’ training is very intensive at th emoment and I do it every day but I have the time and effort to do it. And they get lots of playtime inbetween too. Bear in mind that whatever training you dcide on, your dog will need breaks from the work and lots more playtime to make up for it.

Laura xxx

kizkiznobite

general levels of criteria in stickies

Anonymous

[quote author=leeatgolf81 link=topic=14237.msg266951#msg266951 date=1242332889]
    Dear All,

Any ideas???
    [/quote]yes train the dog your self you can buy books dvd etc its hard work but fun then your dog can  learn at his on pace as you know every dog learns at a pace he can cope with as some owners are made to feel that their dog is slow to pick things up when you have a dog in the class that does everything faster than all the others good luck and may you have many happy years with your dog

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime