Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Golden retreiver

Home Archive Forums General Category Puppy talk Golden retreiver

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Anybody have golden retrievers??

Myself and my hubby have decided on this breed for our new puppy. we pick her up on the 11th july. Any info/advice much appreciated..

Thank you

Gem & Carl :happy:

kizkiznobite

grew up with them…what do you want to know  🙂

Anonymous

Anything and everything really…

i’ll start with this one a mager question really, do we or do we not get our pup spade?

The breeder had said that spaying the pups changes temperament and ther coat? do u hav any experience of this?

there will be many more questions but my mind has gone blank lol

Gem

kizkiznobite

lots on here about this…do some serious research…first ask yourself why you are considering it even and go from there…it a personal decision…i dont spay or castrate except for health reasons…what i would advise is that if you do then wait for maturity….and bear in mind that spaying is not just sterilization but a full removel of all the reproductive organs….there is a post in the stickies on the female hormone cycle

Anonymous

Thanks kiz

I have read the sticky about seasons etc… interesting read. my hubby never wanted to get her spay i just wanted to see what other peoples views wer.

I also read your post about cubert…how old is he?
    any toilet training advice?

kizkiznobite

the toilet training is in the cubert thread….early on….

dont use paper or mats…you only end up teaching it twice…need to get it on cue….the going and the asking to go….take out after every meal, every nap, every play, every squeak, watch the body language…the circling…locating to a spot …looking for somewhere to go….straight out….then do weewee then good weewee when doing then reward bigtime as she starts to rise back up….cubert was 1 year old on 1st march

Anonymous

Grooming? what combs brushes etc do we need? Which are the best for this breed?

Val

Hi
    So pleased you have gone for another dog after the sad loss of Roxy.
    I picked up your PM and have come here to answer your questions grooming wise you will need a brush a soft slicker and a comb.
    Health wise I hope you have seen the parents registration papers or you can with the parents names check on line at the KC site if you want me to do it mail me the names  you need to see that the hips and elbows have been scored, the breed is prone to high hip scores and doggy elbows, they also need eye testing.
    As for crate training it can come in handy if started from a pup, you will need a large crate for a Goldie but if you have the space dogs do like a den so cover at least half, feed and sleep the pup in it and for timeouts.
    I hope the breeder has not vaccinated a pup that young, I would ask that it be left for your vet and not have it done so young.

I would also keep her intact I only ever spay for health reasons.
    If I have missed anything shout
    Val

Anonymous

Thanks Val,

The pups just turned 3 weeks yesturday and the breeder doesnt allow a visit until after 3 weeks so on saturday will be our 1st visit. we have spoken to the breeder via phone and she asked us lots of questions about work our house etc… she also has awebsite which is called haydene on there she updates pics on the pups everyweek, on there is also info on pups mother and theres also a link to the stud as the stud isnt her dog.

On saturday she says we will see all the papers. mothers name is haydene spring in love and fathers name is stanroph so what will be JW, if you could check and let me know that would be fantastic.

As regards to vaccinations i assumed the breeder did the 1st ones i was going to ask on saturday when we visit, so when will we take pup to vets for her vaccinations??
    At what age can she go out for a walk?

We have also decided not to get her spay, i just wanted to hear peoples views my hubby never wanted to get her spay after what hes read and the breeders advice.

1 last question for now do you advise us get pet insurance? if so any you could reccomend?
    we never had any with roxy and spent a fortune at the vets!! You never know do you?

Look forward to you reply
    Gem

Izzie

First vaccinations usually take place not long afer you get your pup home, then 2-3 weeks after

That is if you want her vaccinated.

You will be able to take her out anytime as long as you dont put on her on the floor .

Pup will be able to go on the floor about 10-14 days after her 2n vaccs, depending on the vets advice.

For pet insurance, if you decide to go down that route – there are loads, phone around and get a qoute, read the small print and check what they cover regarding the amount for what duration, some insurance policies covver for each illness and some for every year.

Anonymous

[quote author=Val link=topic=14346.msg268214#msg268214 date=1244566958]
    the breed is prone to high hip scores and doggy elbows, they also need eye testing.
    [/quote]

Val – your doggy elbows typo made me laugh  ;D

Val

We aim to give a chuckle here  :agree: my brain always goes one way while my fingers are going another  ;D

[quote author=widget link=topic=14346.msg268231#msg268231 date=1244624502]
    [quote author=Val link=topic=14346.msg268214#msg268214 date=1244566958]
    the breed is prone to high hip scores and doggy elbows, they also need eye testing.
    [/quote]

Val – your doggy elbows typo made me laugh  ;D
    [/quote]

Val

You will be fine with these pedigree’s the sire is eye clear hips 7.7 Elbows 0.0 they are all good the dam is eyes clear the hips are total 24 and she has not had her elbows tested.
    You get the pup vaccinated as if the breeder does one your vet may not have the same make so you will be told to start all over again thats not good for a goldie, don’t be in a rush to take her walking far better to get her out in the car and listening to all the sounds, get her used to the collar then the lead in the garden remember 5 min per month for exercise as you will be running off all the good feeding the breeder has done, pups need very little exercise just lot of training round the house and in the garden this is even more important with a breed like GR that do not have the greatesr hips.
    No jumping games no running up and downstairs this is important too.

IMO anyone with one dog should insure them I would think the pup will come insured for 6 to 8 weeks most breeders do this as a matter of course, there is loads on this site about insurance companies afraid I can’t help I have far too many dogs to insure them.

Well I look forward to pictures  :ok: enjoy  :agree: these are good breeders both the sires and the dams so have fun,
    anymore info I can supply feel free to post
    Val

[quote author=Carl&Gem link=topic=14346.msg268229#msg268229 date=1244616822]
    Thanks Val,

The pups just turned 3 weeks yesturday and the breeder doesnt allow a visit until after 3 weeks so on saturday will be our 1st visit. we have spoken to the breeder via phone and she asked us lots of questions about work our house etc… she also has awebsite which is called haydene on there she updates pics on the pups everyweek, on there is also info on pups mother and theres also a link to the stud as the stud isnt her dog.

On saturday she says we will see all the papers. mothers name is haydene spring in love and fathers name is stanroph so what will be JW, if you could check and let me know that would be fantastic.

As regards to vaccinations i assumed the breeder did the 1st ones i was going to ask on saturday when we visit, so when will we take pup to vets for her vaccinations??
    At what age can she go out for a walk?

We have also decided not to get her spay, i just wanted to hear peoples views my hubby never wanted to get her spay after what hes read and the breeders advice.

1 last question for now do you advise us get pet insurance? if so any you could reccomend?
    we never had any with roxy and spent a fortune at the vets!! You never know do you?

Look forward to you reply
    Gem
    [/quote]

Anonymous

Thanks for all your help.
    I’m sure there will be many more questions and advice needed. I will update with pictures after the weekend.
    :ok:
    Gem

Anonymous

That all sounds like excellent news! Congrats Carl & Gem!  11th July must seem like ages away  ;D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime