Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Jake’s visit from Bev

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training Jake’s visit from Bev

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    beth corbett

Me and Jake would just like to say how much we enjoyed our visit from Bev and even though we’ve got a long way to go i have already noticed a big improvement. I feel like i understand him better as before what i  thought was him getting up tight when meeting people coming in to the house was him actully just been a very big curious great dane. We have gone back to the basic’s and have already with bev’s help got the speek and sush queue in the house and garden and the heel close to the park and back (which i will admit Jake picked up and understood before me). Jake is a very fast learner and i am over the moon i can now get him to the park and back with out reallying on the head coller.
    Thank you  :happy: :happy:

kizkiznobite

you welcome….

he a big button pusher…in more than one sense…but yep…he not daft…he will work for what he wants…i wouldnt be suprised if you have a bit of a set back when he thinks ok then thats enough think i will go back to being totally spoilt  😉

one important lesson for all…..
    if you are putting the bark on cue then work the off cue at the same time…..jake was cued to speak using a clicker /reward by his holiday sitter….but the sessions were not extended …..so he moved it all on off his own back and whenever he wanted rewarding for anything at all or was demanding anything he was woofwoofwoofwooof…since the bark was put on cue the behaviour of barking had gotten really bad and was increasing….so we had to do a repair….he just at the point now where he has stopped asking so is being clicked and reward for being quiet…and also getting the shushing on cue…

well done for working so hard so quickly beth…glad you made it to the park with no halti and pulling and and….
    🙂

;D fantastic – and thanks for sharing with us how its going

.dodger.

that’s brilliant news Beth, i’m so pleased it’s going well :-* Can’t wait to hear more of how he does ;D

beth corbett

We have been working on the leave today in the house which has gone really well i am really impressed at how quick he understands and work’s things out (and to think people used to tell me great danes are thick ). Infact he is so clever he has worked out that when he barks at people going passed the window i will give him a treat which is not what was supposed to happen (I was trying to distract him away from the window). So im going to need a little help with that. He also traid giving me a paw when i was ignoring him today i had my arm’s crossed and my back turned so he punched me in the back i still ignored him and he did go away in the finish but he no’s what he is doing  :laugh:

Val

Great Danes thick  :nono: :nono: :nono: I worked mine in OB she was also part of a display team.
    Val

Izzie

[quote author=beth corbett link=topic=14401.msg268991#msg268991 date=1246024144]
    Infact he is so clever he has worked out that when he barks at people going passed the window i will give him a treat which is not what was supposed to happen (I was trying to distract him away from the window). So im going to need a little help with that. [/quote]

Are you doing the pack management of ‘thank you, its ok’ that Bev explained to you to do?

beth corbett

:agree:I used to get SO sick of people telling me “why bother taking him to training he’s a dane” well this is my second great dane and they have both been very clever however Jake is really keen as soon as i pick up my clicker he is ready and eager i just wish i  had known Bev from the beginning cause i have spent 3 years trying to teach him the rong things. I always wanted to do other things with Jake but i could never find any clubs around my area and i kind of just got stuck in to the routine of going week after week to the training class which we enjoyed but i think its time to move on .You never know the progress we are making we might be able to look in to someting in the future. We traid dog dancing once and he seemed to really enjoy it.

beth corbett

Hi Izzie i am trying and he comes away from the window with me which i then distract him with a game or treat. But he seems to be barking more and then coming to see were his treat is

kizkiznobite

i bet you dawdling  🙂  …you naturally stop and wait for him to move and stop when he stops or appears in your face….like you kept stopping when he stopped on the walking?….think of how i demo’ed it…fast on the move…up to window …look,  thanks, touch side of cheek… all ok ,,,,this way…fast movement…. i went right into your kitchen remember before i treated him….sit down and ignore,,,no game…dont turn it into a game….no treat at window…no lure…remember what i said about having some treats in pots scattered about …..one behaviour one treat….

when he doing that better and when you got the shush on cue you can cue the shush if he barks/demands another treat….i will then show you how we diminish the foood treats…but at the moment use them as i said…1 behaviour = 1 mark/click/acknowledment = 1 reward….no big fuss made of it…the message is ok fine done get on forget it

beth corbett

Iv been working on the leaves in the garden today which went well :happy: we have got to the point were i can put the 3 treats out which he will leave (he also has his head up looking at me rather then staring at the treats) i then can flick the treat at him and say “yours” which he then eats but he leaves the others. We also got to my Grandma’s houses today with very little pulling.

kizkiznobite

wayhey….to granmas  ;D ;D  brill…..well done both  ;D ;D

to test grandmas…but not until you get there about 5 times with no nonsense…have her standing on the doorstep/gate as you go up the road  😉

beth corbett

Jake is doing fantastic i am really impressed with how much more responsive he is when out on walks. Had him to the park today and was doing some speak, shush and leave it’s when a group of terrier’s across the park from us  started barking at him which useally would set him off jumping and growling but when i felt him tense up we practiced are leave it que and he calmed down and walked lovely by my side all the way home. I was so impressed. Laura came over with Mandy for a visit yesterday and we had him walking lovely up and down the garden past two of Jakes doggey friends. Laura also helped show Mandy the heel close as she will be dog sitting for me when we go on holiday tomorrow. Thanks Laura your a good teacher :educated:.

kizkiznobite

brilliant….well done….both of you…and thanks laura  🙂

.dodger.

not a problem, he was brilliant :yes: He’s doing really well at the heel close although i think bringing Molly dog out was a little to far for him at that stage as all he wanted to do was play with her 🙂 He did really well with Jodie dog though and he was listening very well. I’ll make sure i keep Mandy in check while you are away, might have to tie her left hand behind her back, stop her double holding the lead. (granted that is one of the hardest things to get used to :yes:)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime