Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Pip – Border Collie/WSD : 9mths (OK with dogs, cats, children)

Home Archive Forums Dogs Rescue and re-homing Pip – Border Collie/WSD : 9mths (OK with dogs, cats, children)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Hi,

This is Pip !

[img width=468 height=354]http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs122.snc3/16945_250145697564_631622564_4418300_5005827_n.jpg[/img]

He is a slight little man of 9mths, his parents were both working sheepdogs on a farm and he was bought to work sheep.  He failed at this but I feel it was the owners lack of understanding and not his lack of ability.

For the right lady owner I feel he would train up as a useful little sheepdog, I feel he would benefit from one or two existing steady sheepdogs who are used to pairing up to show him the ropes with distance work, he has also got the intellegence to do even the most complex close up tasks and absolutely will not go in and bite stock.  It is essential that you have a patient soft approach to training or this dog will go to ground and you wont get him back.  This means any dog you train him off must either work with a whistle already or to spoken commands (absolutely no shouting).  He could live in or out and is very clean (he is housetrained).

He would also go well as an agility dog, he is currently being fostered living as part of the family with 4 other dogs, a cat and 3 young children (ages 2 upwards).  Again, to a female handler and the above applies – if you are someone who speaks loudly or shouts during training he’s not for you.  He needs a soft kind approach and he’ll reward you hugely as he’s incredibly intellegent and loving !  He would work for praise – he loves to please so much !!

Either way, he needs someone who is willing to put time into him as he has lived out for the last 7mths not really doing anything except failing at being a sheepdog because his owner didnt understand how Pip worked.  He’d not been on a lead until a week ago but is progressing well already on a harness, he is clean in the house already, he will do basic commands like sit, down, off and is just learning that toys are fun to play with.  He needs someone who can build up his confidence in himself – he is absolutely lightening fast – he can outrun my lurcher, is slight, nippy, can turn on a 6d and has a great recall.

Pip will take a looooooong time to get used to and trust men again (he is fine with kids, fine with grandad age men but proper terrified of young adult – middle age men) you will just have to let him come to you and it will take a great deal of time.  This is due to the treatment Pip received as a puppy.

If you would like more information please e-mail me on clairewarden@ntlworld.com in the first instance including details of the type of home you have to offer Pip.  I will be doing all homechecks personally and I will be giving you the third degree as I dearly love Pip and would keep him myself but realistically I cannot do him justice !

Claire.

p.s. feel free to swOOOOOOOn !!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime