Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Barking, How do I stop them?

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training Barking, How do I stop them?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Gwensway

Hi

This might sound a bit basic but I have four shelties and would like to stop them barking every time they hear a noise or see a movement.

The structure of the group is Mother aged 10, her son age 7, a niece aged 3 and her daughter aged 12 weeks, the puppy is rapidly learning to bark with the rest, triggers for barking can be someone walking by on the road, seen through cracks in the fence panels, neighbours heard in the garden, birds flying low overhead, neighbours rabbit in it’s hutch, etc. My neighbours are very good but I would like to stop this behaviour.

I have tried a clicker which resulted in the dogs sitting by me all the time waiting for the treat, so no toilets outside. I have tried the ‘Pet Corrector’ which worked at first but is now ignored. I have also shouted at them for ‘Quiet’ but this does not always work, A now have to keep them in most of the time if people are around.

I would welcome any ideas.
    Gwen

Val

Hi Gwen
    Like all collies they have rally good hearing, I will be poo’ed on by the so called trainers, but I recommend a few pebbles in a drinks can  ;D you must not speak they must not see it but if they bark give the can a quick shake.
    I have found they stop barking to listen to where the noise came from which they do not like LOL then if they start again give it another shake don’t you go looking at them just act like nothing has happened.

My daughter has MS they can be barky little dogs she has a path running at the back of her house and they used to bark at everything and anything that passed told her to try the can silly lass had it on the window ledge and hubby had a tin bin out in the garden under this ledge dogs barks she shook the can and dropped it straight into the bin LOL that sure stopped them.
    Val

Gwensway

Hi Val

Thank You, I will give it a try and let you know how it goes, I would like to take control before Cariad, the pup gets as bad.

Gwen

justpetdogs

:what:

…and like all collies, they are very sound sensitive and often find sudden loud noises rather scary!

…and Shelties were bred to bark: it’s part of their normal herding behaviour repertoire!

…and the OP has already attempted two forms of noise-based punishment without effect!

Gwensway, you need to teach your dogs a ‘quiet’ cue – just yelling ‘quiet’ at them won’t work since they don’t speak English!

There are many ways to teach a quiet cue but, since you’ve already been using a clicker (although it’s not clear what for), why not use it again for this?  I’d start with the puppy since she hasn’t had quite so much practice at shouting yet and, if possible, at a time when you have only the puppy in the room.

Marion

Gwensway

Marion

:help:

Thank you for your reply but could you go through how I should approach the clicker method as I tried it with the older ones when they were out in the garden and being quiet I clicked and rewarded as it said in the book, the result was they sat by me and waited for the next click and treat, this was repeated until they had eaten all the treats, not the result I was wanting as I want them to play and exercise whilst in the garden, we have a large garden and a number of not very friendly dogs here so we avoid the nearby country park, Danny is not very happy to meet these dogs although he is the perfect gentleman in show situations.

Gwen

*Lassie*

Tam is gobby ::) Have got an off switch but not 100%
    Teach bark on command
    then teach quiet
    On/Off :ok:

Mudgie

teach quiet then bark …………… so much easier  ;D

Gracie

sure bev kizkiznobite has done step by step clicker training bark and quite on here?! will have a look when got more time 🙂

*Lassie*

[quote author=Mudgie link=topic=15227.msg275758#msg275758 date=1276967897]
    teach quiet then bark …………… so much easier  ;D
    [/quote]

If the dog is gobby easier to trap bark than quiet, when they stop barking click and reward 😉

Gwensway

Hi Lassie

I will try that, perhaps I can combine that with the can and pebbles, what do you think? I think that my little pack are rapidly training me! Shelties have too many brains  ;D !!

Gwen

Mudgie

stick with one or other – dont combine – if you can master the clicker then you can teach them anything.  😉

Val

If you go the clicker route then you have to work one dog at a time.
    Personally I have found beardies to bright for the clicker and as you said in an earlier post you got them all following you around for a click and treat
    Val

justpetdogs

I wouldn’t go for teaching ‘bark’ either since the dogs are already well-practised at barking and it is one of their preferred behaviours…I’d just teach ‘quiet’.  There are loads of ways to teach ‘quiet’ with the clicker…this is just one way:

Start indoors with one dog, clicker in hand, treats in a pot/bag within easy reach but not on your person, relax on the sofa with a book or magazine you can pretend to read.  Create a noise to make the dog bark (knocking the table or wall often works) but do not react: say nothing, do nothing, carry on reading your book.

Just wait…and wait…and wait…until eventually the barking ceases.  Wait for three seconds (count in your head “one banana, two banana, three banana”) then click, grab a treat from the table and give it to the dog.

If your dog barks at any point while you’re counting, re-set your count to zero and start again – you want three seconds of silence before clicking.

Give your dog a few minutes to settle then repeat the exercise.  With several repetitions, you should find that your dog quietens sooner.  When your dog is only giving a few barks before shutting up, you can add a ‘quiet’ cue but pick a new word that you haven’t used before (since your dogs probably think that ‘QUIET!’ means “BARK!”.

Work through one dog at a time (four combinations) , then in pairs (six combinations), then threes (four combinations), then all four (one combination).

Marion

P.S.  The use of positive punishers (e.g. rattle cans) is contrary to the philosophy and mechanics of clicker training.

justpetdogs

[quote author=Val link=topic=15227.msg275790#msg275790 date=1277117628]…you got them all following you around for a click and treat[/quote]

So they must have been reinforced for that behaviour.

Marion

Val

No they are just brighter that the owner and more than up to taking on trainers.

You can stick the treats on top of the wardrobe if you like but the clicker has to be in your pocket or in your hand they can either see it or smell it or even sense it.

Clickers have there place but I am not a fan have been showing and working dogs all my life which is awhile as I am the wrong side of sixty.

I can tell you what will happen while Gwen is getting herself sorted to work with one dog the others will want to be with her and they will start barking they are a family pack, I bet apart from the odd day at a show if they have ever been apart so that is stress all ready, one not wanting to listen to a clicker cos she wants to be with her pack and the others all getting upset because they are shut away.
    There are many ways of stressing a dog  sometimes a bit of short sharp  positive works wonders
    Val

[quote author=justpetdogs link=topic=15227.msg275792#msg275792 date=1277119118]
    [quote author=Val link=topic=15227.msg275790#msg275790 date=1277117628]…you got them all following you around for a click and treat[/quote]

So they must have been reinforced for that behaviour.

Marion
    [/quote]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime