Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

I’m starting a dog grooming course

Home Archive Forums General Category Introductions I’m starting a dog grooming course

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Poppy Peach

8) I’m really excited I’ starting a dog grooming course and can’t wait.  I’m living in Cornwall and it was really hard to find a course that was City and Guilds accredited but it was worth the search. I have a Westie called Poppy and she doesn’t know it yet but she will be my model. If anyone can offer any tips on training and setting up a business please let me know

*Nat*

Hello and welcome  🙂 We have a couple of groomers on here who run their own business, good luck with the course  🙂

Izzie

Hi and Welcome

Suz and Val are the ladies to speak too, best of luck with the course 🙂

Val

Hallo and Welcome
    The advice I would offer is do not buy cheap not that good equipment will make you a better groomer LOL but the better the quality the longer life it will have.
    Learn to handle scissors properly and learn to stand properly as grooming is VERY hard on your back and if you are not taught to handle scissors properly it can lead not only to a poor finish on the dog but will leave you with tendon trouble in your hand.

I live on the south coast as well Swanage Dorset take your course pass your exams and don’t sell yourself cheap just to get business, if you are good the clients will come if you keep a high standard they will stay.
    It is always worth doing an animal behaviour course just so you can learn to read dogs
    Good Luck
    Val

I agree with Val – one thing to NEVER do is undersell yourself, and DONT listen to customers who say oh but so and so can do it for £20 – customers lie haha ( i know shocking or what!) mind some groomers ARE that cheap – but you just end up working twice as hard to make any money!

Im just about to close down my shop to have my baby, and planning to go back mobile a couple days a week once shes here  ;D

oh and try watt-a-dog for a good dog grooming forum  🙂

xtine

I agree – never undersell yourself but also be realistic.. I popped into our local dog shop that has a salon attached to get some Naturediet for Fritz.. on the wall was a list of services and prices.. £65 to clip a Fritz (standard schnauzer)  😮 seriously!! I don’t spend that on my own haircut!!!!

[quote author=xtine link=topic=15297.msg276197#msg276197 date=1282258689]
    I agree – never undersell yourself but also be realistic.. I popped into our local dog shop that has a salon attached to get some Naturediet for Fritz.. on the wall was a list of services and prices.. £65 to clip a Fritz (standard schnauzer)  😮 seriously!! I don’t spend that on my own haircut!!!!
    [/quote]

Christine meant to say am putting my prices up hahahaha  :canadian:  😀  😀

xtine

:vomit:  :butt:

*Nat*

Bl**dy ell!!!!  😮 I have never used a groomer so would have no idea how much it would cost…. out of interest Suz, how much does a Fritz cost if you don’t mind me asking?  ;D

Christine gets a discount cos shes my friend  ;D but for most dogs like Fritz – £40 up depending on when they last came and how well brushed they are!

Just thought I would say hello as I am a dog groomer in Hampshire and looking for others to chat to.  You will love your course I’m sure and if you have any questions these people seems to know their stuff but if I can help please do ask.

Clare 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime