Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

how do you stop a dog tearing off wallpaper and chewing door frames?

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training how do you stop a dog tearing off wallpaper and chewing door frames?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    mugatea
    Participant

one of dogs i walk chews door frames and pulls the wallpaper off the walls whn the owner is at work and before I collect him.  I advised her to put oil of clove on areas he would go to and she does that and I think it helps a bit and also advised her about getting a kong with pate and freezing overnight to keep him occupied till I arrive.  She put up new wallpaper and painted it but he’s started tearing it off and I’m out of ideas.  Maybe a cage or something would help, but I dont know if she’d be keen – he’s never had one.

so any tips?

Jamie

Val

What breed ?

mugatea
    Participant

Thanks Val,

‘Jay’ is a small springer spaniel.  Here is a pic………

[img width=468 height=334]http://www.bdws.co.uk/images/gfdsggfsd.jpg[/img]

Izzie

:what: :what: :what: Thats NOT a springer spaniel!

Its cocker spaniel – shw type

mugatea
    Participant

yes….well, I have questioned it to myself and he is small, but I’m no expert so who am I to argue.

J

Izzie

Springers only come in black and white or Liver and white or v v v rarely solid black or solid white
    One of my ESS
    [img width=351 height=468]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/Izzie72/Photo0746.jpg[/img]
    Working type

black and white ESS working type
    [img width=468 height=351]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/Izzie72/SANY0115.jpg[/img]

http://www.thecockerspanielclub.co.uk/aboutpage.htm
    Show cockers

mugatea
    Participant

lol, i was looking at your sig pic and thought jay looked too different.  oh well, i wonder if i should tell the owner. lol

back to the point, izzie u got any tips?

Izzie

depends :

how long between owner leaving and you arriving?

Is he walked before owner goes to work?

how long has owner had him?

Does he do it when she goes out without him at weekends? or is it just during the week? Because it could be seperation anxiety or just pure boredom

They could try getting an old cardboard box, balling up newspapers and hiding treats in it, leaves a big mess.

Piggy ears to chew on, stuffed kongs.

mugatea
    Participant

owner leaves around 7-ish and I arrive at 11.  Previous dog walker arrived a 9 and he tore up the joint then.

he is walked before in morning before I get there.

he is 1 and 1/2 years old.  owner had him since pup.

I’ve suggested frozen kongs, dont know if they last long enough cause he still does it.  I dunno if I’d be happy giving pig ears when no one is around.  I’m anxious by nature, so thats just me.

I’ll suggest cardboard box.

Izzie

then they need to deal with it as SA, if he been doing it since he was a pup.

Val

So they leave at seven you get there at eleven what happens to the rest of the day?
    All Izzies idea’s are good ones this could by now be a habit I would suggest a large cage, having said that I do wish people would look at the breed BEFORE they buy, cockers and yes it’s a cocker are people dogs they need company and lots of exercise these dogs are bred to work 14-16 hours aday not to sit and look at walls in a house
    Val

mugatea
    Participant

cheers for the advice.

Val, once I take him back he’s on own till owner gets back.  But he’s fine thru that time.

Val

Then he needs more exercise before he is left in the morning  :ok: if he’s tired he won’t eat the wall
    Val

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime