Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

What do you think???

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs What do you think???

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    *Nat*

Doberman Protects baby

I posted this video on FB and its started a bit of a debate with a friend  ::) I personally don’t see any harm… the Dobe is being protective but not at all aggressive towards the other dog! I think the other dog knows its place, just trying it on  😉

kizkiznobite

ok…dont do facebook…so dont know what has been said

but…and you can post this on nat

that is a timebomb waiting to happen

and it not just the dogs…is it ever  ::)

ok…the dobe is protective for sure…and is clearly the pack manager…the other dog is curious…feels left out…wants to interact etc…the babe is not at risk…but that other dog sure is…the dobe is being a good pack manager…tolerant…how many times do i have to tell you to FO for FS…the human is re-enforcing the dobe to the point of no return…..badbadbad

at some point that dobe is going to reach saturation point…and when that happens that babe will be in the area….

human needs to do well done fred you looking after babe ok thats good but i am now in charge and i say there is no problem so let bert say hello to babe…thats a good boy …now greet nice everyone or you are all out…

that a huge risk she taking …huge….

dont know the dogs…dont know the temperaments of either…not seen much of the other dog but…HUGE risk there… mother needs to get a grip

with me? …she letting a dog take total control and not putting herself in the ultimate command of both…not a dobe prob…not a baby risk problem from the dobe…

dog to dog to human to dog problem

worse kind…timebomb

*Nat*

Ok yeah get what you’re saying! The argument got more onto the subject of so called dangerous breeds with kids etc etc!!! Kinda moved away from the video itself!

kizkiznobite

thats to be expected…black and tan syndrome…yeah…
    copy it on…i dont mind…

mother is the problem not the dobe  :yes:

Anonymous

Interesting thread idea.  And I don’t do Facebook either (tho for some reason got today’s piccies). Could not get previous vid of Skye.

Curious…wonder if dobe guards when the 2 dogs in background come along…what behavior has dobe seen from other dog towards babe in past.  No way to know if this random YouTube vid. Am going to see if there’s other vids.

BTW not saying behavior is acceptable.  Not relaxed enuf for my taste, would make me apprehensive. IMO

Frags

Can only agree with bev – i would be seriously worried what would happen should the dog reach that point of no return – if baby is caught slap bang in the middle!!

Aeryn is not off limits to any of my dogs – unless i say so, id be terribly worried if dex reacted like that dobe everytime manny went near, though as i will be bringing a pup into the house at some point next year i guess its something i should keep an eye on for the future.

kizkiznobite

the dogs are not the problem frags…watch again…and listen to the mother…she reinforcing his protective behaviour…she telling him he doing good…she telling him that is what she wanrts…the other dog is getting no cues from her…none at all…she leaving it to the dobe…the other dog ..because he not being cued just keeps repeating his need/want…he is listening to the dobe…atm…but at some point because she is reinforcing the dobe…that dobe is going to up the anti…it doesnt matter what he has seen already…all that matters is his reinforcment…the other dog at the moment can get close…it will move on…at some point the other dog only has to to go to get up or whatever…it could be any dog that is doing that…not a black and tan …lucy would have done that around dylan if that leeway was given…i had a big soppy daft red setter when nic was a babe…he was like that dobe…he would have done all of that had i not done we aint having that…protect from strangers but…..
    the mother is the problem…

Anonymous

OK, understand mom is doing major reinforcing, can easily see that.  And realize baby in possible future danger zone. And understand danger is that there can be dog fight w/baby in middle of it. Understand can be any breed doing guarding.  Understand mom should teach dobe not to guard. Is this what you are saying? If not, tell me.

Ok, now… am not as experienced as others on board. One of several reasons I’m here is to learn from members w/more experience.  Another reason is to wonder about doggie subjects. Even sometimes express opinion when I have one.  My “wonder” thought this time is “why does dobe or any dog originally start to guard baby?”  Can understand bone, but why baby?  Does he consider baby a “resource”, or what?  In other words, why he guarding family member from his pack mates?  Is it he doesn’t trust pack mates? Does he want babe all to himself?  Or what?  Just wondering what makes a dog do that.  Just curious. Have no babes, no nieces or nephews. None of my 3 dogs in my lifetime ever had opportunity to do this. So seems curious behavior to me. Maybe not that unusual after all. 
    But still want to know why dogs would do this.  Remember, “why, why, why”?  Me, too.  My motto since birth. Partly why here & haven’t left, like so many newbies.  Need smily face for “why”.

—Frags

kizkiznobite

ah…ok with you hun…sorry…thats a big answer and no time now…will come back to it tomorrow  🙂

Anonymous

OK, tomorrow then… 🙂 :canadian:

—Frags

P.S. Fraggle & Brady don’t seem to tell on each other.  When they want something, they know how to tell me & I follow them to find out…usually want out.  When Fraggle leads me to food bowl, I tell him “not now” & leave kitchen cuz I don’t want him deciding when he gets food–that’s my decision.  Sometimes still asks, tho.  As far as ratting each other out, don’t seem to do that…wonder what that supposed to mean.  Honestly didn’t know some dogs do this so much.  Fraggle does come get me when someone at the door & I in other room, don’t know if that’s “warning” or not, he not barking or growling. 

kizkiznobite

haha…oh yeah they sure tell on each other…it funny…ami will tell me when percy being an arse she will even tell me if he going to wee in house…cubert tells on everyone….percy tells mo if cube getting more than he is…when liv is here she tells on cubert…hence my funny posts he did no she did …it what i see/observe and try to put into human speak  ;D yep yep keeping a pack is fun 🙂

when a babe or a pup arrives in the house the pack manager (should) kick in in order to appease the human PM….if the human PM gets it right s/he recognises that this tiny thing is important to the human….the other dogs in the pack…if they well managed…will follow the lead of both the human PM and the dog PM…but the human needs to assert the final wanted behaviours….a good pack manager is a blessing…izz will highlight this i am sure as she saw this with ami and livia ( circumstances meant that livia came to us when real tiny when izz went on one of her courses and it has continued and you can see it in the cubert thread when ami is teaching wee cubert to offer appeasment )  a good pack manager is not aggressive is not bolshy for the sake of being bolshy…they are managers which is why i talk lingo like pack managers and not boss dog and i never use words like dominance and submission…there is only appeasment and appraisal and management etc etc…….they cannot afford to be aggressive…aggression means fight risk…ami is not aggressive but she sure is a tough manager…i raise my pack managers…i buy female pups that will one day be a pack manager…the girls make the best PM in the home…they the ones that breed on and keep the pack going….the other dogs are the soldiers…but…they need to follow orders….a baby is not a resource in his/herself…it the need to appease with/and respect the human…who should be the real PM…you are doing this…you said so in your post…want food mum…ermm no not time yet…brill….many folks would do ok ok here you go…dog wins everytime…
    ok…

ask away  :happy:

wags

It’s a ticking timebomb

I.saw it.on.your Facebook and thought.Omg that’s scarry

Sorry.only net is on phone so posts brief and to the point

Anonymous

Don’t you love posting on tiny, miniature screen?  Have small fingers & still keep touching wrong thing, everything on screen jammed in next to each other, typing with 1 finger. :surrender:

Santa, please, please…laptop! 

Frags  (Excuse plz…little off topic)

*Lassie*

[quote author=Fragusa link=topic=16167.msg282476#msg282476 date=1322526676]
    Don’t you love posting on tiny, miniature screen?  Have small fingers & still keep touching wrong thing, everything on screen jammed in next to each other, typing with 1 finger. :surrender:

Santa, please, please…laptop! 

Frags  (Excuse plz…little off topic)
    [/quote]

;D ;D ;D
    I type with one finger on a PC :embarrass:

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime