Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Night-time incontinence

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Night-time incontinence

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    parsonsmum

Doug again!
    The last 3 weeks or so Doug has been peeing in the night, apparently obliviously.
    He sleeps on my bed  :whistle:…..yes I know it’s a no no!…..and I’m finding wet patches. Not every night just once maybe twice a week.
    He’s going to the vet next week, but any pointers as to why this is happening? and what should I ask the vet to check for?

Could it possibly be related to the recent bowel problem he had?……this has only been happening since he was prodded and poked to remove the bowel obstruction.
    He has on very rare occasions woken me at night to go outside, but this time it’s as if he doesn’t realise he’s peeing. I have also noticed he’s licking himself now and again.

He’s fit and healthy in every other way……eating well, the other end is getting back to normal, and he’s lost a little weight since I altered his feeding times and cut out bones.

I did think he was drinking a bit more than he normally does, but at the end of the day the water bowl is not more empty than normal……I’m watching him more so noticing every time he drinks……paranoid now!

Mudgie

What age is Doug?

He may have a urinal tract infection so isnt getting enough notice. 

My dog is often in my bed – by invitation (and sometimes when I am out!!)

Let vet know before you take him that you will be bringing a urine sample for testing and why.

parsonsmum

Thanks. I’ll ring the vet to inform him. 🙂
    Doug is 9.

Val

More than likely a urinal tract infection but could be crystals.
    Take a sample Good Luck
    Val

Mudgie

Age wise Val when could this start being a problem.  Or is dependant on dog?  and general health?

Val

Depends on the dog Mudgie, should not be a problem for Noch pooch as he has always been a natural baby and a healthy one apart from the odd bash.
    Doug has also had all the bowel problems which maybe a link
    Val

parsonsmum

Thanks Val. Can you give me the implications of ”crystals” please and how, if he does have them, could it be connected to the bowel blockage?

Dougs been ‘dry’ the last 3 nights now, so should I still take him to the vets or see how he goes for a few days?

Mudgie

would still get him tested – it might flare again – prevention better than cure

Val

The bowel problems would only be connected to an inflamed bladder, Crystals are nothing to do with it they can make a dog pee without knowing it also it can make dogs try to pee and then can’t pass anything
    Val

[quote author=parsonsmum link=topic=16268.msg283726#msg283726 date=1326065975]
    Thanks Val. Can you give me the implications of ”crystals” please and how, if he does have them, could it be connected to the bowel blockage?

Dougs been ‘dry’ the last 3 nights now, so should I still take him to the vets or see how he goes for a few days?
    [/quote]

kizkiznobite

hope this sorted now parsonmum…can you update?

parsonsmum

I  can’t say it’s been ‘sorted’ yet…….I haven’t taken Doug to the vet as funds are in dire straights till end of month 🙁
    The good news is that there have been no more wet patches anywhere.
    I am still concerned though and if he has any more episodes of incontinence I will be at the vets…….money or not!

kizkiznobite

ok…how is the bowel movements now and is he drinking more….sounds like he was leaking…if you go to the vets get that prostate checked out  😉
    but agree with val that it could be sturvite crystals coomon in boys and terriers a bit prone often due to diet and is common in terriers usually due to diet
    what are you feeding him now?

parsonsmum

Bowel movements are O.K. ……throughout the day he’s doing smaller amounts and less often than before his problem, and on a walk he just goes the once now, not the 3-4 times he did previously. I’m assuming that’s because the bones have been taken out of his diet. :-\
    He’s NOT drinking more…..same as it’s always been.
    I’ve changed to feeding him twice a day and eliminated bones from his diet for the time being. I want to make sure his bowel has healed inside before I try bones again.

a.m. lamb breast, minced chicken or beef, small amount of blanched offal, then a bonio. I also add vitE and selenium.

p.m. small amount of tripe or mince with sardine in oil, veg and oats. A couple of prawns thrown in too.
    He’s looking  leaner and fitter now he’s not getting bones……he did need to lose a bit of weight!

As regards his peeing, the incontinence/leaking has stopped…..Last Thursday night was the last episode. When he pees, it’s a good strong jet, no straining to ‘go’, and it seems to be a normal colour, although I haven’t actually taken a sample from him for close inspection.

I’m still wondering if maybe this leaking thing, is down to the prodding and poking he had with the bowel obstruction :-\ That along with the pressure from the blockage that must have been pressing on his bladder?

kizkiznobite

yep…it could have been…his tubing could have been bruised and also a bit of infection…or he could have passed a crystal already…if it starts again get a sample in to vet for a test….try and get the ph of the urine down a bit…i use cranberry juice in the water or potassium citrate….good knews re the pooing though…glad thats sorted  🙂

parsonsmum

Yes I’ll defo take him to the vet if it recurs.

Kiz, does his diet seem O.K. to you? How long should I leave it till I offer him bones? I did try him with a piece of chicken wing and he refused it….as he always has done in the past. It’s lamb ribs he loves. ::)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime