Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Old age

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Old age

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    keaton_uk

Hi
    Sorry unsure where to post this or if there has been another post i had a look n couldnt see anything.
    It’s been awhile since i came on here,  Skye is nearly 12 but of late has been struggaling to get a grip and stand on her paws, took her to the vets to have a check up and has been told has early onset arthritis.
    The problem is we have capret thru out most of the house except kitchen, hallway and her fav spot the bathroom floor. the vet did mention she would struggle to get up on her back legs after laying for a while but i was wondering if also getting her some socks?shoes with grips would help her out at all???

Gracie

dont have any suggestions – would putting carpet or mat down in bathroom to help give her grip would she just lie away from mat?

keaton_uk

We have tried that she kicks it out the way, she likes the cold floor, i found some anti grip socks to try on her see how she goes

Izzie

dogs sweat through their paws, so having socks on her will cause her feet to be open to infections.

You could try a paw wax.

Is she on any supplements?

plus socks will stop her being able to get a grip with her nails – make sure he nails are trimme dup properly – if they are too long that can hinder any grip she might be able to get, if she was mine id be blocking her acess to areas with no carpet unless i was there to help her up – i know she likes the cool floor, try a towel thats been in the freezer for long enough to make it cool ( dont freeze it!!) ad put that on the carpet if shes feeling hot – just make sure its cool not frozen.

You really need to keep her off the slippery floors or put carpet/ mats down – if she slips badly when trying to get up she could really injure herself.

been there done it with our old collie, hed suffered numerous ‘strokes’ add to that general wobbly old age and we actually ended up carpeting the hallway so that he stopped slipping over – plus some long runner mats in the kitchen so he could get out to the back door easily.

keaton_uk

Hi
    Thanks for the reply, we do sht the bathroom do but Blu opens it, looking into getting runners as well. the vet trimmed her nails for her about a week ago.

Vrelim

Look into canine massage and how that can help with old age and arthritis, might help her.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime