Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Val, Suz: How to wash a Maltese at home???

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Val, Suz: How to wash a Maltese at home???

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Diesel73

(Openend a different topic for this cause i searched the board but it never seemed to come up. So i thought i would make it easier for others who are interested to find it.)

Girls, this is going to be my first white dog  :yes: , always done black dogs with thhhhhhick undercoats (2of my boys were notorious for that undercoat  :canadian: )  :yes: , never used dogconditioner befor cause i never had a dog that needed that (i think..) Never had a dog that could ‘change colour’ because he messed his hair up either as black dogs stay kind of black and dont turn from white to scruffygrey/black/brown lol.
    And i never ever had a single coated dog. They felt like when i touch my daughters hair, soooo soft.

Asked the breeder how she grooms but i’m a little lost in lalaland  :whistle: ….
    She baths her showdogs every week and even befor and after show to remove productleftovers that she uses to make them showready. Those that are not up for show she baths every 1-2 weeks…. She uses white shampoo and white conditioner and a truckload of other oils/sprays/and other icantrememberstuff….

We would like to keep our new familymember white  :whistle: and i got a feeling that is not going to be easy lol.
    Now, i never bathed my boys much. 1-2x a year maximum. Someyears not even once. But this breed don’t have shephair. This breed got silky soft hair and the breeder siad you have to wash it regularly to keep the hair and skin soft and white. Specially if we want to take it out whenever we can.

But what is regularly??? So…..

1-Is it ok to bath a Maltese 1x a week to keep him crispy white? (a lot of people in this house would be happy if the answer is yes cause daughter and wife luuuuuurve bathing dogs)
    2-what shampoo is best, one specially for white hair or one for long hair? (we cant find one for white AND long hair, seems to be one or the other.)
    3-we got shampoo specially for puppies. I always used puppy shampoo on the other boys if i had to wash them cause i always thought that would be the softest on a dog’s skin but with this Maltese pup… Better to use whiteshampoo while it is still so young too? Or use the puppy shampoo until he’s adult?
    4-is it ok to wash a pup every week?
    5-does it need a coat in winter when it’s very cold and we go for a long walk? (and i don’t mean the hair…)
    6-conditioner… Human or dogstuff? And again, what is better, for long hair or for white hair?
    7-please feed me any more advice you can think of  :-* .

Btw, i always dilute the shampoo first. I dilute it a LOT. Does that make shampoo less ‘harmfull’ for a dog’s skin or is the whole ‘must wash dogs as less as possible cause it damages their skin’ and old theory that doesn’t go anymore?

(Oh.My.God…. How did i get myself into this??? I went from workingdogs that WORK and are sometimes stinky but hey i stink too if i worked hard, straight to Pamperingpooch who’s ‘job’ is to just be a dog. i’m lost bwahahahaha.)

Izzie

Too much washing is going to strip the oils from the coat.

livia is only washed before shows, and usually after she has had a good run in mud  :whistle:

I use whal whitening shampoo for her, diluted and thats it.

Ahh see i disagree – they have TOTALLY different coats to both spaniels and your sheps – they dont have a double coat with hair to shed and remove the dirt-  you have to do it for them – id be bathing every other week if not weekly – your gonna have to learn to tie that topknot up too diesel 😉

If you want to keep the pup in show type coat then weekly bathing will be a must to keep it white and in good condition – your need decent brushes too and a good comb ( ask your breeder) as for shampoos id take your breeders adivce they will know the best ones to keep the coat just right – my boys get washed weekly – i refuse to do it any less they would be disgusting if i didnt and i dont care what anyone says brushing the dirt out of those type of coats just isnt good enough.
    Oh and NEVER ever brush that coat when dirty of wet from a walk – you wash the coat and brush as you dry – anything else just breaks the coat off and broken coats tangle! Same as dirty coats – i never brush my boys except when they have just been bathed or the next day at a show, they dont get matted despite not seeing a brush inbetween baths.
    still cant believe your getting a maltese hahaha!!!

Diesel73

[quote author=Izzie link=topic=16442.msg284463#msg284463 date=1339012398]
    Too much washing is going to strip the oils from the coat.

livia is only washed before shows, and usually after she has had a good run in mud  :whistle:

I use whal whitening shampoo for her, diluted and thats it.
    [/quote]
    See, that’s what i always thought too  🙂 . I never showed so i only washed the boys if they stank. And i mean really stinkstink. Not if they just smelled worse like a wetdog. Than i just let them dry, brush them really well and hosed them down under the shower and *presto* we was back to clean, shiney and normal dogscent. Even the worst mudglobs i could remove like that. Even birdpoo had a tendency just just ‘slide’ off the hair when it was dried up and crunched a little, and than brushed out with a slickerbrush.
    If i brushed them the day after again even the stink from birdshait is gone.

Suz, she said she uses a slickerbrush and metal combs with wide and smaller spaces and a small fleecomb for the face like moustache and beard. I got slickerbrushes  :embarrass: but in XL-size so i might have to get a smaller one hahaha. But she said only to use those after we removed any tangling. She also has a brush with metal pins but no plastic tops at the end as that would make the hair break but i haven’t seen that brush yet so i don’t know what she means yet.

You know Suz,… I still can’t believe we are getting a Maltese either bwahahaha. We always had black dogs and now even a black cat. Since we got black blankets in the sofa we used to joke about it. We went like ‘next dog/cat is going to be a white one cause we would see it better and not have to feel with our hands first where we want to sit’…. Never thought it would come in minisize though bwahahahaha.

By the way…. A topwhot???

Izzie

[quote author=SuzAndTheDiva link=topic=16442.msg284464#msg284464 date=1339016519]
    Ahh see i disagree – they have TOTALLY different coats to both spaniels and your sheps – they dont have a double coat with hair to shed and remove the dirt-  you have to do it for them – id be bathing every other week if not weekly – your gonna have to learn to tie that topknot up too diesel 😉
    [/quote]

See this is why you is the groomer!  😛 ;D

[quote author=Izzie link=topic=16442.msg284468#msg284468 date=1339069316]
    [quote author=SuzAndTheDiva link=topic=16442.msg284464#msg284464 date=1339016519]
    [/quote]

See this is why you is the groomer!  😛 ;D

[/quote]

LOL 😀 credit to you though iz least livs looks clean whenever ive seen her unlike the piss stained examples ive seen at some shows!! x

Yep Diesel top knot – they have the hair on their head banded up – normally with a blue bow if they showing but tell your lovely wife and little girl they can use all sorts of pretty bows tell them to google to see what they can find haha there are some beautiful bows out there 😉

Diesel73

I mentioned the bows…. Turns out wife already handmade 50+ bows for his hair. Single and twinbows and some of them are with glitters, rhinestones and in blue, red, purple and….. Pink!  :scared:

They got thes every tiny elastic bands, right? Did’t try it but i don’t even think i can get my thumb inthere. Will be wife’s job to tie his hair up lol.

hehe why am i not suprised – he will always have to have a pretty bow in 😀

Val

LOL you should of brought a Pekingese  :agree: I would do what Sue says as for grooming gear I think the breeder is talking about a pin brush IMO the best are made by Christies I use them on my girls they are good on a beardie as their coat can break very easily.
    Malts are not hard to keep as long as they are kept clean, care will have to be taken with their eyes as tears can stain the coat.
    I know a breeder that keeps her dogs eyes clean by using a lipstick shaped stage makeup in white, as it’s got a grease base the tears roll over it.

Diesel73

Make upthingies is wife’s department, will pass your tip on, Val  😉 .

Breeder said to keep a jar of Vaseline at hand. She uses it to stick the hair in the eyecorners away from the eyes.
    Vaseline can’t do anything wrong, right???

She said tearing can get out of control when they teeth the first time and when they change teeth again.
    I bought a bottle of uhm… Eyegoostickystuffremover. She said it good to remove the goo but its not a miraclething that will relove the stains itself.

[quote author=SuzAndTheDiva link=topic=16442.msg284495#msg284495 date=1339533806]
    hehe why am i not suprised – he will always have to have a pretty bow in 😀
    [/quote]
    Even my daughter jumped on the ‘mustmake1000bows-train’.  ::) I think we got over 60-70 bows now.
    If my son starts making bows too, than the next dog is going to be a Great Dane  :whistle: .

Val, good Peke veryvery hard to find here. Good breeders have loooooooooong puppylists. For my sanity, this time now that i am completely dogless…  i can’t wait over a year for my next pupboy. The last few weeks i’ve been driving my whole family mental  :ugly: . Since monday i been saying the same thing over and over everyday when my alarmclock goes off, and this morning when it went off even befor i made a sound sunshine already said ‘yes yes I KNOOOOOOW, today could be the day he is going to be born’.

Life is not easy with a dogless Dieseldude lol  :tease: .

Aww i cant imagine not having even one dog around diesel it must be driving you crazy!

Izzie

apple cideer vinegar in water helps Livs, plus I dab corn flour when its really wet, as it dries it up.

Trying out a new one by yumega that is meant to help with mites too!

Diesel73

Izz, how do you use the apple cider vinager?
    Yes Suz…. it feels very very strange, weird wnd empty. … i have not gone for a walk since and i am greatful for the rain as i avoid the garden whenever i can. It’s almost 40 years of dogmemorie that’s ther…. i even brought down my lifestock to an absolute minimum to spend as less hours outside than i have to.

Izzie

mine get a tablespoon in their water, so for your minipup prob a teaspoon should suffice.

The other thing I found was brill was eyemunity pads from happy tails spa

http://happytailsspa-blog.com/2010/02/03/clinical-trial-shows-that-eyemunity-can-help-dogs-with-allergies/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime