Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

cueing to location…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    kizkiznobite

Cueing to Location – Or teaching the dog that ‘I am managing this and I will be in your space and you will do what I ask!’

Ahem, Beeeeeeeeev

Can you tell me what this means please (in Jayne language (easy/simple)):

quote :

until you get 10 behaviours

Does it mean do it 10 times???

I’ve been busy printing and highlighting all morning !!  Tee hee  😉

Anonymous

hi,

i think so yes 🙂

in the “sit” case it would mean that you can visually cue a sit – click – treat – move to side – click – treat and start over again 10 times without shuffling, standing, pawing or anything else that isnt a sit and keep your bum there till i say 🙂

claire x

p.s. i never charged wills to clicker i just put it in and he seemed to know ??  (only coz no-one told me to do it !!)

Hmm I’m not sure about the clicker thing!?!?  Wouldn’t I need it in my hand all of the time all day and night?  Is it easy to pick up? easy for me I mean LOL

Anonymous

yep and yep

buy clicker and attach it to springy clip thing which clips to your jeans etc …

basically you click to mark the behaviour you want ie: as soon as bum hits floor for a sit and this “bridges” the gap between doing the behaviour and the reward (you will also need super trendy bum bag with treats in 😉 )

claire x

Gracie

you say 15 hours of training for an older dog over a week, how long could the sessions be?

I don’t really know Gracie but I reckon it would be divided between the 7 days and I would image you’d have breaks inbetween.  Don’t know if it’s correct to do this but I’m gonna go for half hour sessions with Murphy.  Listen to me as if I know what I’m talking about  ::) LOL

Claire – what do I do if I’m upstairs and my OH is downstairs with Smurph? Would he have to learn it as well?

Anonymous

ideally OH will buy into it too but once cue is reliable – and i mean reliable !!  you dont need 2 reward every time u ask

Sorry to keep asking Claire – will I have to use a clicker for ever then or just until he’s fully trained and then when he’s being trained for something else??

Anonymous

for ever and ever ….

Anonymous

sorry – that was too sweet to resist !

no not forever 🙂  with william he will do his decent cues visually only but Bev ought to answer this as i want to make sure its right 4u x

shes out 2day x

quote :

shes out 2day x

I know, I keep checking to see who’s on line to see if she’s there, you watch she’ll ‘hide’ herself now so I can’t see when she’s on LOL  😀

And Claire – good job I didn’t read the ‘for ever and ever’ first or I would have gone  😮  😮 LOL

kizkiznobite

as a dogs first introduction to clicker training asuming the clicker is charged and the rules are in place then 10 minutes sessions are enough – about 3 or 4 a day – make the sessions obvious ie they have a start and an end – with a here we go and thats it then all done and treat box free shaping objects put away – once the dog understands that the click means something good is going to follow then for everyday behaviours gotten outside of the training session you can click your fingers or your tongue and the reward can be praise. as the dog starts to learn then you can build up to 30 minutes but not before otherwise frustration and boredom will kick in – if that happens then stop and re start later – if the behaviour you are working on breaks down or starts to go weak then do something the dog knows and finds easy and always always end on a good note – so always finish we a postitive.

Bev, do you have anything on free shaping then so I can understand it.  Sorry to be a pain in the butt, I know you’re busy  😉

Gracie
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime