Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

female dogs hormonal cycle ©

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Normal Hormonal Cycle in Female Dogs

In female dogs, biannually, during the nine days of pro oestrus, the pituitary gland at the base of the brain produces a follicle stimulating hormone which triggers the oestrogen production and causes eggs that are stored in the ovaries to mature. When these are released at ovulation which commences around day nine of pro oestrus, and continues for up to for five days, the vacated sites produce progesterone, which is the hormonal requirement of pregnancy.  The production of eggs at oestrus acts as a stimulus for the bitch to accept a dog for mating but this activity occurs in the body whether or not a mating has taken place.  The met oestrus in the biannual cycle prepares her for the tasks of nurturing the fertilised eggs and then the growing foetus, the whelping, and the milk production required once the puppies are born.

If no mating has taken place, then progesterone production gradually ceases so that by the twentieth day of met oestrus the hormone levels are returning to normal and by the commencement of an oestrus, which is the resting period, all reproductive and sexual activity has stopped for a further seventy to seventy-five days when pro oestrus recommences.

*click on image for larger view

© Kizkiznobite

[old attachment deleted by admin]

Anonymous

Hi all quick question, Does the bitch bleed for first 9 days, then stop in middle then start again till end (sorry if this is a dense question, never gone through this before. Always had males!!!) when is she most fertile and do I have to keep her in for the whole month???
    She started yesterday, should I be doing anything or giving her anything and will her behaviour change??!! 🙂

Anonymous

Hi Lisa

This is a hard one to answer as I have seen bitches mated on day 7 and another on day 23 the normal is for a bitch to bleed and as the days go on the bleeding gets less as the vulva swells, bitches are mated anything from day 10 onwards different bitches are ready at different times.
    I have mated bitches that I own on day 10 12 14 and 17 so not much help really.

I have no problem exercising my girls as I have more than a few acres to do it in I tend to keep them on a lead when they are ready as they are all tarts.
    Val

[quote author=lisasnugglepups link=topic=3156.msg49021#msg49021 date=1150890192]
    Hi all quick question, Does the bitch bleed for first 9 days, then stop in middle then start again till end (sorry if this is a dense question, never gone through this before. Always had males!!!) when is she most fertile and do I have to keep her in for the whole month???
    She started yesterday, should I be doing anything or giving her anything and will her behaviour change??!! 🙂
    [/quote]

Anonymous

LOL,
    Thanks val, I think I will just walk the other during the day and hubbie can walk Winnie late at night down the lane when nobody about.! ;D

Gracie

just to add, pic included to show which part swells, the part in the red box, as i didnt realise it was this bit, i was looking underneath…..
    edited to say you have to open the pic to see the box (red prob wasnt the best colour)

[old attachment deleted by admin]

kizkiznobite

thanks gracie – well defined ;D ;D poor lass having her bits on show for all to see ;D

Anonymous

ooohhh my….Have had a to cover Dex’s eyes 😮 😀

kizkiznobite

after arriving home last night had to cover falkors nose ::)

toppy

Milly is now 26 weeks old, and shes started licking herself (u know where!  😉 ) so much more than usual, is this something to do with her nearing to her first season time??  xx

Anonymous

Bit young but not impossible it could be her season stick a tissue there and see
    Val

toppy

:-\ no nothing on the tissue, just alot of slobber from milly, lovely!! so guess it aint that then! x

Anonymous

Well check daily for a while she may still be on her way in

toppy

🙂  thanks Val. x

toppy

Well, got up this morning and milly had drops of blood on her tail when she got out of her bed! checked her and wiped with a tissue and yes, shes started her seasons!  ::)
    Shes been swollen for the last few days aswell!! shes 29 weeks ???  :-\

kizkiznobite

🙂 she growing up – bless

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime