Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Pekingese

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dog Breeds Pekingese

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Pekingese are a very ancient Chinese breed they were court dogs in the Imperial palace as long ago as the Tang Dynasty of the eighth century the theft of one was punishable by death which is ironic as the first ones to reach England were stolen from the Imperial palace.
    In 1860, when Allied troops occupied Peking, five dogs were found in the Summer Palace,  Admiral Lord John Hay and another naval officer each took two. The fifth was taken by General Dunne, who later presented her to Queen Victoria, who christened her “Looty.”
    Looty’s portrait still hangs in Windsor Castle to this day
    The two little Pekes who found their home with the Duchess of Richmond were given the prefix “Goodwood” and were the foundation of the breed in England.
    In 1896 Mrs. Douglas Murray made an appearance with two fine dogs her husband, who had business interests in China, had succeeded, with much patience and palm crossing to obtaining them.
    These two were later famous throughout the Pekingese world as “Ah Cum” and “Mimosa.”
    Knowing nothing of any other kennels, Mrs. Murray was surprised one day to be chased down the street by Lady Algernon Gordon-Lennox who, in passing, had seen her with her two Pekes. These two ladies later joined forces, and to them jointly goes the honour of producing the first English Champion, “Ch. Goodwood Lo.” The next Champion was “Ch. Goodwood Chum,” and these two, were a great influence on the breed we have today
    In 1898 a standard of points was drawn up, and in 1904 the Pekingese Club of England was founded.
    About this time the Alderbourne Kennel was started by Mrs Ashton-Cross with a combination of Goodwood-Murray-Manchu and the Broadoak-Goodwin-Pekin-Prince blood lines.
    It was destined to be one of the greatest English kennels and put the stamp of the Alderbourne name in all the best pedigrees, the first time I ever bred a peke I used an Alderbourne dog and was informed by the formidable Mrs Aston-Cross that she was the Rolls Royce of Pekingese she was right she was.
    I have lived with Pekes around me all my life they are a fearless and very loyal dogs there are so many stories about pekes and loads of things that live on from there past they love to carry material around and will always pick up cloth if one has it they all join in carrying it around never a mark is made on it this comes down from there royal beginning I am sure as they were the constant companions of the Emperor, and as he made his way round the palace many of the pekes led the way announcing his arrival  usually four dogs two too announce his arrival holding their heads high and two carrying in their mouths the Emperor’s train.
    I could never imagine living without them they are not a breed for the novice but they are not the lap dogs that All Creatures Great and Small made them out to be, mine go out with the beardies love nothing better than getting on the beach and into the sea they are great mini agility dogs and will fight to the death for their owner they never see themselves as a small dog they are very big dogs in small bodies.

toppy

great read Val, always wondered where they had come from and what they were originally bred for.  🙂
    What about grooming??  They look like they constantly need brushing etc…

*Nat*

Interesting read Val – my mum had a couple of Pekes when she was younger, one was called Suki if I remember rightly  🙂

Anonymous

Every day or so if they have the correct coat they are not bad for a longhaired breed

[quote author=toppy link=topic=7539.msg133830#msg133830 date=1174680629]
    great read Val, always wondered where they had come from and what they were originally bred for.  🙂
    What about grooming??  They look like they constantly need brushing etc…
    [/quote]

kizkiznobite

i read somewhere the other day – though lord knows where – i can’t remember at the moment  ::) that one emperor actually married a peke

off to think  ::)

kizkiznobite

i remembered  ;D
    it was sent to me following research into dogs in history  ;D but i havnt checked out that it is true yet  ;D

Attachments:

Anonymous

Really interesting!

I looked after two pekes when I did pet fostering (when lived in Edinburgh) – when the told me the dogs were pekes I was a bit worried (thought they might be snappy lap dogs) but was so wrong – they were loevly dogs – played with balls and toys – really fun and friendly – used to take them to the stables with me and they loved it – had them for quite a few months in the end.  The only problem was they got tired easily and sat down saying they too tired  ::)  bless them – so I used to have to go on short walks  ;D  (now were they really too tired or just testing me?!)

Val – you didn’t mention the snoring…..  or was that just the two I looked after  😀

Anonymous

LOL All the Brachycephalic breeds snore it’s a sound I could not live without depends on the time of year my pekes go miles in the winter but prefer to swim in the summer they are not fans of too much sun which can be a pain trying to keep a peke in show condition so we do early morning and late evenings in the summer plus the sea that keeps them well muscled and toned
    Val

Anonymous

I looked after the pekes throughout the summer – never had them in winter – might explain the sitting down when tired – were probably too hot.  Then again – we were in scotland – how hot can it have been  ;D

What health problems do they get – seem to remember one of the two I looked after had eye problems, is that common?  Also guess they might be prone to back problems with their long backs and little legs and maybe breathing problems?  Or am I completely wrong?

Anonymous

If they are well breed they have very few problems they should have wide nostrels if they are narrow that causes breathing problems, they should also be short backed the bitches can be a little longer than the dogs they are also the only breed where the bitch is larger than the dog.
    The KC on advice from the breed clubs changed the Standard of the eyes so they have less problem with them
    Val

I have spent many hours surfing the net for pics of Pekes. I have come across some of the Alderbourne Peke she had some wonderful Pekes. My Favorite was her Humming Bee. I am wondering did she ever breed her, and who was her sire and dam.  Lead me not into tmeptation if I see a reincarnation of Humming Bee.
    Scarlette

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime