Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

dog and bitch together

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs dog and bitch together

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    .dodger.

Not really sure where to put this but i was reading a topic on another forum about how someone thinks there young bitch GSD could have mated with her newest male rescue GSD. Apparently she was out at the time and her son heard crying from outside, he looked out and saw the dog mounting the bitch, they didn’t tie but contact was made. The woman said that the bitch has never had a season before, there was no bleeding, discharge, swelling to indicate she was coming into season.

She went to her vet and the vet said the bitch could have had a blind season and to get her spayed to stop any puppies incase she did get pregnant from the encounter. She agreed but the next appoint for a spay they had was 7 weeks time 😮 The vet told her to sit and wait and see what happens….. :confused:

The main point of the story is how do you all keep an entire dog and bitch together? What happens if the bitch has a blind season? How do you stop any unwanted matings?? We’ve only ever keep spayed bitches with Benji (who’s done) and dodger who’s still entire.

Once dodger is better, behavior wise in the next 2-3 years i am thinking of getting a female Leonberger to join him…. i want to show her so she won’t be done and when she comes into season dodger can stay at my parents but just thinking way ahead has anyone ever been in a situation where a bitch has had a blind season and been mated by accident? what did you do? How can you prevent it? Sorry if these are daft questions but never owned an entire female before ???

*jody*

Eventually I want to get a girl sheltie to show, so this has been going through my mind for a long time.  In fact from day 1 I got Jake used to being around my mums cat and her house, so Jake can stay there, Dante will complain about anything if there is something to complain about and there are places he can go i.e. MILs and OH’s brothers.  All else fails I have someone that is happy to take the girl in during the ‘peak time’ who I trust.

I have to be extra careful as I would like a sable girl and gentically Jake cant go near her… the two wouldnt be in the same house during peak time to avoid any accidents.

Justine&Rafe

As far as I recall, you can also give the bitch an abortive injection in the few days after she has been “caught” – bit like the morning after pill.  But these are expensive, and clearly it’s better to prevent the incident in the first place…

And that’s where my knowledge ends.  But, no, it isn’t just a choice between spaying and puppies.  Altho if the pregnancy has progressed, then it may be down to that.

Bev, how do you deal with blind seasons etc with Cubert and Ami?

Anonymous

We will be getting a bitch puppy at some point – I think we will get her spayed – but not for the first couple of seasons (and if that goes ok, maybe we won’t need to spay her?). We plan to send Loki away for the key times – but I guess our problem will be that we are not expereinced and spotting the signs of a bitch being in season might not be that easy. However – we will have Loki who am sure will tell us when the season starts, even if is not obvious to us… So we can separate them from then?

Is all academic as have no puppy at the mo.  ::)

Lucyr

We have 2 entire dogs and 5 bitches – only 2 of the bitches are also un spayed.

We’ve never had any problems keeping them seperate from each other and I wouldn’t dream of sending my boy or my mums boy anywhere else for 3 weeks while the bitch was in season.

The only inconvenience if you can call it that, is that my mum’s male GSD sings at the top of his voice for a few days.  My male Rottie still hasn’t got a clue and doesn’t really bother the girls when they are in season – he sniffs them, I tell him to leave and he does.

You just have to be vigilent and keep them apart and not let any incidents occur.

Hi,

just answering kinda on bev’s behalf …

from what i know, ami doesnt actually have “normal” seasons, she does bleed but is possibly  not fertile and does do blinds which bev thinks could sometimes be fertile others not.  she is used to being “serviced” by falkor who is done and will stand for cubes if she feels its the “right time” otherwise she’ll tell him to piss off.  it is very distressing for cubes at times as she “yes” “no” “yes” … alot of the time at the moment and he is at “getting there” stage with moving from pup to man pup.

i think if you get something as complex as this going on you might well consider speying unless you really are there all the time they are together and know them very well indeed to watch for other signs / behviours …

otherwise, i think some ppl do seperate the dogs in their own homes, others either dont have the space or its too distressing on the dogs so send them to friends/family, some people put the boys into kennels while bitches are on heat.  i think in general its about knowing your dogs individually and how they react to each other to avoid this …. oh and some ppl use those “season nappy” things to prevent matings but i cant really see them being effective against a determined boyo !!

you can get injections to stop seasons but what i know about these isnt good so i am not sure about long term use.  i think if you have an accident you need to be prepared to step up and spey the bitch no matter how good a showdog she might be.  I was furious when someone i know kept a cross-bred litter from their 2 pedigree dogs and didnt bother with resusitation for any that needed help and gave the rest away on the quiet so no-one would know. 

Claire x

Val

Have to reply to this the injections you are talking about are extemely bad for bitches they can lead on to a pyro in fact most bitches I know that have had these injections for holidays etc have ended up being spayed.
    As for keeping entire dogs and bitches I am not a fan it puts the dog under a lot of stress some have been know to starve themselves for the whole time the bitch is in season, some can become extremely vocal, have known owners that have had to have lads deballed to keep the neighbours happy.
    Val

Anonymous

[quote author=Val link=topic=14172.msg266481#msg266481 date=1241019908]
    As for keeping entire dogs and bitches I am not a fan it puts the dog under a lot of stress some have been know to starve themselves for the whole time the bitch is in season, some can become extremely vocal, have known owners that have had to have lads deballed to keep the neighbours happy.
    Val
    [/quote]

Out of interest – would you say was better to neuter the dog or spay the bitch – in this situation? We plan on getting a bitch puppy – but am interested in which one should stay entire?

hi,

it would depend on situation and breed to some extent for me.

as you already have a boy i would be inclined to chop him and then wait however long your supposed to wait (cant remember sorry) then get the bitch puppy and keep her entire.

reasons – bitch op is more complex and can lead to annoying side effects like dribbling wee, these side effects are more likely the younger you spey which means hanging about till past season 1 atleast which could be anywhere between about 6 and 18 months from what i’ve personally known about thats a long time to be constantly looking at your dogs bum !!

also – i would do your boy in preference to say a female rough, sheltie, beardie (there are more) because of the coat changes with speying will really affect look and manageability (val will know more).

claire x

Diesel73
    quote :

Have to reply to this the injections you are talking about are extemely bad for bitches they can lead on to a pyro in fact most bitches I know that have had these injections for holidays etc have ended up being spayed.

Yup, that why my sondra had the op too. They no good.

Val

The male every time it’s a much easier operation for a male than a female plus like Claire has said girls get the waterwork problems and if you just read this board you can see on a small number of bitches how many have had to be treated for it
    Val

[quote author=widget link=topic=14172.msg266482#msg266482 date=1241020367]
    [quote author=Val link=topic=14172.msg266481#msg266481 date=1241019908]
    Val
    [/quote]

Out of interest – would you say was better to neuter the dog or spay the bitch – in this situation? We plan on getting a bitch puppy – but am interested in which one should stay entire?
    [/quote]

Justine&Rafe

Oooh, was I wrong about the injection?  I didn’t think it was to prevent them coming into season, I thought it was to terminate the pregnancy?

You guys know far more about this than I do!

Yep, boyo op just a slice, pull, snip and sew – girlies is big abdominal surgery.  My mate spent over 2 hours doing a bitch spay recently, complicated by the fact that the bitch was hugely overweight, so she was wading through layers of fat trying to avoid big blood vessels and, of course, urinary tracts.  Poor lass had to be kept in overnight but thank doG was ok, weeing, and sent home the following day.

Anonymous

[quote author=Val link=topic=14172.msg266524#msg266524 date=1241038918]
    The male every time it’s a much easier operation for a male than a female plus like Claire has said girls get the waterwork problems and if you just read this board you can see on a small number of bitches how many have had to be treated for it
    Val
    [/quote]

That’s interesting because I thought that we would get the bitch spayed for these reasons:
    1) There seem to be more health benefits to spaying a bitch than neutering a dog (although obviously would be better to do neither)
    2) We would cope better with an entire dog and spayed bitch given the huge number of entire males in our area
    3) can’t imagine getting Loki neutered  :'(

I do realise the surgery is much greater for the bitch… but both ops carry the risk of the GA… Plus other advise I have had (from someone on this board) in the past recommended getting the bitch done  ???

Claire it will be a black lab  🙂

.dodger.

thanks for all the comments it certainly is food for thought :yes:

Just asking about a blind season can someone explain exactly what it is? Do they still swell but no bleeding? Are the still interested in males as much as they would be in a normal season? Are boys less/more/same interested in a bitch when she is in a blind season? Just general information as i’ve never had an entire bitch before.

As for the lack of control over weeing when spayed it is exactly what has happened to Lucy and Tila. Apparently it happened for quite a while after Lucy was done and she still has occasions now. About three months after Tila’s op she couldn’t go a day without leaving a puddle behind, it happened when she barks, stood up, lay down, was playing ect she now lives of medication to stop it.

Lucyr

I would always go with getting the bitch spayed if you have no intention on breeding or showing.  Yes it is a bigger op but then you cut out any risk of get pyometra.  We had a bitch once with this and she was lucky to survive.  I also know of 3 other people who have not had their bitches spayed for them to go on and get pyo all were over the age of 10 and I don’t think all survived surgery because of their ages.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime