Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Did you know…? (about Turkeys)

Home Archive Forums General Category General Discussion Did you know…? (about Turkeys)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Diesel73

Am bored  ::) . Let me bore you with some useless information  :tease: ….

Did you know the breed of turkeys i breed is; ‘Ronquieres turkey’?

And did you know……..

That the original turkey is an ancient american animal? The first time turkeys were mentioned is only found in central american tribes at the time of the great conquests. Several old mexican indiantribes held turkeys as pets. Fernando Cortes (1485-1547) who conquested mexico found turkeyfarms with the aztec and maya indians. With them the turkeys were fully domesticated. Cortez took some tame turkeys back with him to europe. From spain the turkeys traveled to italy, engeland, france, belgium and the netherlands. Those that were left in Ronquières (a place near Brussel) were breed on big scale by locals. The Ronquières turkeybreed that was breed as good as only in belgium ànd are direct decendents from this first imports of turkeys from mexico.

Ronquières turkey have been belgianbreed for many centuries since the 15th century, until the first and second worldwar. When the breed seemed to be extinct. Almost everybody thought all the turkeys were either eaten or stolen by the Germans.
    Yet 2 flemish brothers managed to breed after the wars again and saved the breed. The Ronquières turkey is the ONLY turkey that comes in different colours. And it is also the ONLY turkey who has a multicolour bird. This ‘multicolour’ or ‘tri-colour’ variaty is called ‘hermelijn’. (like my Josh a Ronquières hermelijn, see pic)
    [img width=468 height=351]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c346/Diesel73/birds/joske2.jpg[/img]

Ronquières turkeys are now up to today still breed in Belgium as they were centuries ago by the aztec and maya’s. Alldus they are wild turkeys, still breed like nature made them. Not overly breed only for the meat with legs groing in an o-shape cause their bones can’t carry the weight, but slimmer and less heavy. They are selectively breed to the original bird as it was. Hence these turkeys can FLY  :yes: . They were always and still are WILD turkeys. They can be domesticated better than any other poultrybird, yet the ‘wild’ you can taste. They taste better, the meat is good, dence and has many fibre.
    It is not a heavy turkey, and the meatproduction is not of enormes quantaties but the meat is of outstanding quality. Males weigh about 10-12 kilos, females about 5 to 6. Ronquières excell every other turkey breed when it comes to vitality  and fertility. Breedingresults are very high compared to any other turkeybreed. The hens become broody very easily and take excellent care of their youngens. With adapted babyturkeyfood these little ones grow up very easily and very strong.

For the past few years, due to Belgian export, you can find our Ronquièresturkeys in the netherlands, france and…. engeland  😉 . 

xtine

Didn’t know any of that Diesel  😀  ;D
    For an ugly bird, yours sure are ‘pretty’  ;D  :ok:

Diesel73

Hahaha  😀 , well thank you Christine  :-* hahaha.

There is a lot of stuff and background of all the animals we eat everyday, but don’t know about. Biobreed is harder and more expensive but it does pay of.
    Next time you eat a really good piece of meat of any kind of animal….  think a second of the breeder who you’ll never know but who took a lot of time, caring and effort to get it to your plate. Quality you càn taste very well  😉 .

Oh, and my boys say;
    Fritzydude! Don’t mind how ugly it is, they taste grrrreat! Fresh dead, skinned turkey, who been fed with lots of mais tastes divine. Why you think we love our work?  >:D

xtine

he needs no convincing…. he’s drooling over that pic  😀
    My mum’s uncle eddie used to be a turkey farmer up in northumberland… shall ask mum if she knows what kind  :ok:

*Nat*

That’s quite a stunning looking bird  😀

*Lassie*

It is not a heavy turkey, and the meatproduction is not of enormes quantaties but the meat is of outstanding quality. Males weigh about 10-12 kilos, females about 5 to 6.

Wish I knew who sold them over here, that’s a better size bird :yes: who wants to be eating the Christmas bird for 6 months  :nono: Most they sell are too big and tasteless.
    Handsome beast Diesel, do you show them as well?

Bilclarie

Never seen those in France, we buy 6 white turkeys every year 2 for us Christmas and Easter and the other 4 the dogs get on occation as a treat in with there dinner, largest we have reared has been a 40lb turkey a couple of years ago it was like a bloody ostrich 😮 😮

Mo and the Gang

Diesel73

[quote author=xtine link=topic=14282.msg267405#msg267405 date=1243369173]
    he needs no convincing…. he’s drooling over that pic  😀
    My mum’s uncle eddie used to be a turkey farmer up in northumberland… shall ask mum if she knows what kind  :ok:
    [/quote]
    You know now? or forgot  😀

quote :

Wish I knew who sold them over here, that’s a better size bird  who wants to be eating the Christmas bird for 6 months  Most they sell are too big and tasteless.
    Handsome beast Diesel, do you show them as well?

These (specially the females) you can roast at once. Fit in most ordinary ovens  😉 . They are exported to the UK aswell these days. But i haven’t a clue where in the Uk. And yes Lassie, some i show too.

quote :

Never seen those in France,

Well, they are around in France aswell. But not on a large scale.
    Yes hahaha, some do look like ostriches  😀 . They can’t fly not either. Too heavy. Wings can’t cary them.

kizkiznobite

roast josh with cranberry sause sounds much nice than roast turkey  ;D

i knew re turkey history but not the rest….very interesting…

glad you skin them before feeding to the dogs…so many people dont and turkey skin very bad for doggies..

Diesel73
    quote :

roast josh with cranberry sause sounds much nice than roast turkey 

Oh, nonononono  :nono: , not Josh. He my prizebird and makes good amount of good quality little ones  ;D . Why roast 1 when that he can supply you with a 100  😉 .
    Besides, Josh too old. He an overyearling. 7 month old are the best  :yes: . 

kizkiznobite

;D ;D stud turkey

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime