Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Labrador colours!

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dog Breeds Labrador colours!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Elise

Hi all,

I have been looking at websites for labrador puppies for sale, for future reference, and i wondered if there was any body that could tell me if there is a difference between them when it comes to the colour of the dog ie golden, black and chocolate.

Do there temprements vairey depending on the colour?

Also i have noticed that a few times on this bored some people have said to stay away from chocolate labradors, why is this? and how come they seem to be more expensive than the others colours?  :-\

Thanks  ;D

They shouldnt be more expensive  ::)  This is why people say to stay away from chocs, when a breeder is offering puppies depending on price by colour or sex, this is because they’ve either bred for colour  (not health, temprement and type)  or they offer bitches higher because they know people can breed from them  >:(

A well bred chocolate isn’t bad, my first lab was chocolate from Stormley, she was the nicest natured you’d ever know, but greedy!  They can be hyper and there is reports of them being more aggressive.  If you buy from a reputable breeder, they wont be breeding any dog to any dog, they’ll know the parents and generations back in their minds.  I have a black bitch now, because blacks are my favourite!  They seem to be a bit more switched on, most yellows i’ve known to be a little bit dumb for want of a better word!  🙂

kizkiznobite

huge huge dif between colours – have posted re this before – someone will you the link – am in a bit of a rush

depends what drives you want – what you want the dog to do/for etc

Anonymous

Hi,

they seem also to come in orange and red too

Claire x

Brainless

There are only 3 coat colours in Labradors, the original Black, Yellow and Liver (some call it chocolate).

The colours of Yellows can vary a lot in shade, as can the Livers, but Liver should be a really dark colour not that horrible washed out colour I see a lot.

For some reason the Liver colour when called chocolate has become fashionable so even more people are producing pups of this colour for profit than already did with Yellows and blacks.

The Labrador is the most exploited breed around with over 46 thousand registered with the kennel club, and I would hazard only a tiny proportion of these bred with work or breed standards in mind, let alone health tested parents and proven track records in the field or show ring.

kizkiznobite

yep that true brainless in all respects but

the ‘market’ is breeding the dilutes etc – i put up a pic on here re a litter – one of each – will look for it later unless someone can find it

my concern is that these breeders are aiming at the pet market – and yep that means no health testing no breed research but boy they look cute

there is a big dif in temperament between the colours and a choc to choc lab mating  ::) please anyone reading this – dont go there

Anonymous

Bev – the boy you referred to as ‘orange’ – is he a vvvvvvvv dk yellow then??

Brainless … what do you make of these then 🙂 

I can only assume the gene which switched on the hailstone colouring was bred out by not breeding rr dogs or culling puppies with the gene.  I suppose it is possible that some dogs still carry this in their genotype … anyway Labs dont need genetic engineering to add to their woes !!!!

Claire x

travis

Don’t like Chocolates,the one from around the corner from me is now muzzled whilst out on walks,as he is so dog aggresive,I dread to think how many times he has had a go at Travis,I thought it was just Travis but I have heard he is aggressive to any dog.
    Travis’s breeder breeds Labs as well as Curlies but she only breeds Black 90% go to working homes and the other 10% go to pet or show homes,she said someone asked her to help with training a Choc to the gun,she said never again,she said they have a memory like a sieve,

kizkiznobite

aww now you taking me down memory lane  😀

they hailstorms from the solent  😀

used to be allowed now extinct as a colour

Anonymous

their legs are to die for !!!

🙂

once seen – never forgotten !! 

kizkiznobite

there was also a ‘snowflake’ the splodges were bigger  🙂

Brainless

[quote author=rooooooooby link=topic=9654.msg178750#msg178750 date=1192290866]

Brainless … what do you make of these then 🙂 

I can only assume the gene which switched on the hailstone colouring was bred out by not breeding rr dogs or culling puppies with the gene.  I suppose it is possible that some dogs still carry this in their genotype … anyway Labs dont need genetic engineering to add to their woes !!!!

Claire x

[/quote]

I have seen a white splotched black lab bitch specks and ragged patches.  Looke like a burns victim, but was born that way.

From what I ahve read random white markings in self coloured dogs are soemthing going wrong with the stage in pregnancy when the colour is dispersed,a dn often it doesn’t reach the extremities and cauyse the common bits of white on chests and feet, but occasioanlly it goes haywire and you get these randomised markings.

Not sure if using oen for breeding will increase the chance fo them appearing again, or if it is a fluke.

My youngest had white feet almost to the pastern and I will be interested to see if thsi appears in ehr offsprign or if it is a one off.  Normaly pups in my breed can be born with the odd white toes and small amounts of white on chest.

Anonymous

yes but its not “desired” is it 😉

from what I know these were actually bred for a while by one breeder and the ticking type arrangement (from what i know) is different to white patches (feet / chest …)

Claire x

p.s. lady down the road has a “fawn” (liver/choc) Labrador with 4 white feet she paid almost £1000 as it was sold as a “silver labrador” … yet to break the news but I did some digging and it comes from choc  choc parents with choc going back down lines 🙁

Brainless

[quote author=rooooooooby link=topic=9654.msg178787#msg178787 date=1192297300]
    yes but its not “desired” is it 😉

Claire x

[/quote]

Nope white markings are undesireable in my breed, small amounts on feet blend in, and a little on chest is not penalised.

I would be fascinated about the genetics of the patches and or the spotting.

Anonymous

Hi,

I would too – I love genetics, sadly I cannot help here as I have kept my research mainly to Border Collie Coat Colours.

Claire x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime