Author Topic: Leonbergers  (Read 3002 times)

Monochroma

Leonbergers
« on: May 06, 2009, 08:00:51 PM »
I've been looking for a new dog for a while now, ever since Mickey died to be honest, but I've never really had a specific interest in any breed until recently. A few weeks ago I met this absolutely lovely Leonberger (a 4yr old boy called Jacob <3) and he seemed ideal for what I was looking for. I want an active dog but not one that I have to jog to keep up with (I hike and ramble a lot) and from what I could gleam from Jacob's doting owner, the Leonberger fits this perfectly. So I was wondering if anyone else has had experence of this lovely breed, either owning or not?

*Lassie*

• I live for dogs
  • Rough collies & shelties - beauty and brains
Re: Leonbergers
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 08:12:05 PM »

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away

SuzAndTheDiva

• Global Moderator
  • I give up with naming this level!
  • The Blonde One!
    • HoneyComb Dog Grooming
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 08:58:53 PM »
They are a beautiful breed for sure. But check out what health checks they need - i know of someone who bought two unchecked, the male developed serious hd  :-\

Val

• Global Moderator
  • Dog Obsessed Level
    • Karakara Bearded Collies
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 09:16:54 PM »
Be aware this is a giant breed that has both hip and elbow problems IMO I would not call them a great breed for walking and hiking they suffer from the heat in summer and have to be cared for like other giant breeds
Val

Do not resent growing old.
Many are denied the privilege
If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion

Sweetypye

• Dog Obsessed Level
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 03:11:48 PM »
Ditto above, they are a cross between the St Bernard and Newfoundland so have all their issues too.

.dodger.

• Dodger - Forever In my Heart
  • I live for dogs
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 05:07:02 PM »
I'm glad you started this thread as i am thinking of getting a Leo in the next couple of years too :yes:

They are a gorgeous dog but as above you have to be careful with hip and elbow's :)