Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

3 dogs and only me!

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training 3 dogs and only me!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    babs1

hi all,

i have 3 large mix breed rescue dogs who are so well behaved around the house until the leads come out and its walk time – then all hell breaks loose! they get so excited, running back and forward, squealing (with joy!) jumping over each other – its a nightmare. i have tried waiting until they are calm before putting leads on but they seem to play off each other and i cant get them all calm at the same time. also i would like to start walking them separately to work on training and loose leash walking but i’m not sure the best way to get one out the door at a time. when i do try to take them out on their own the other 2 go mad.
    any advice wold be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Val

Sounds like they are getting the walk whatever they are doing.
    I would start with moving the leads around in the house then take no notice of the dogs until they are calm, at the moment you are taking them out and the lead is the trigger so take the leads to the kitchen bathroom but don’t put them on the dog until you have calm.
    You can always do some training in the house two dogs in one room and the one you are working with in another.
    Have a look on the board there are loads of training stuff on here.
    Question did you get these dogs together or is one setting this behaviour off or are they all untrained?
    Val

babs1

hey val, thanks for your reply.

i’ve had 2 of the dogs for a few years and things were ok and i could get them to calm down to get the leads on. i got the third one a year ago, and since then they all seem more hyper. the third 1 is a pointer type dog very energetic and excited all the time. he’s the one i need to do the most work with as the other too are good on their own but seem to get caught up in his excitement when they are all together. i realise with what you said that i’ve been reinforcing their wrong behaviour by taking them out no matter what! i’ve been looking through the board but couldnt see any advice for 3 dogs but i have taken on board lots of training tips! my garden has 2 parts so i could take one dog to one part to work with, but the problem i then have is the other 2 get very anxious and aggitated, jumping at the gate and barking. should i ignore this then until it is their turn?

thanks again for any advice, i’ve been a bit wary to start any new training in case i am reinforcing wrong behaviour!

Val

You say gate they would have to be out of sight sounds like your pointer type lad is kicking this off.
    Whatever you find on the board for one dog is the same for three maybe you should try some snoozies with the three of them but one at a time of course to start with
    Val

babs1

yeah i think it is him thats causing it! i’ve never used a clicker before but after reading up on it on here i went and got one so started charging it (is that what you say?? lol) last night with them one at a time in the house, leaving the other 2 in the garden. once i know its charged i’m going to start with snoozies. i think the pointer will enjoy it, he’s very keen to learn!
    thanks again for your help!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime