Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

another newbie

Home Archive Forums General Category Introductions another newbie

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

no not at all, the assessment involves 3 parts. written, class taking and an interview/oral assessment. they do assess people on skill, knowlage and competance. if not enough is shown, they will not pass you. they also make sure trainers use kind, fair and effective methods which i believe is very important. they also check a trainer is able to demonstrate more than one way to teach each exercise and also assesses them on their people skills, again very important. we are also required to show we can deal with unexpected or difficult situations and be aware on how to prevent them. they don’t just accept anyone and everyone.

Anonymous

they don’t just accept anyone and everyone.

But that’s not what this says…..
    “Membership in the Association is open to all who pay annual dues and includes individuals with a wide range of experience, knowledge, and skill.”

It says that it’s open to all, with a wide range of experience – that could be minimal??????
    It doesn’t even say a basic level of skill!  It doesn’t say that you have to pass anything to be a member, so good on you for doing something.  🙂

It would appear to be another umbarella organisation which takes money, puts on a few seminars etc, that members can attend if they want to but there’s no obligation.  Such a shame.  :-\

Anonymous

All members of the APDT have been assessed according to a strict code of practice. you do have to pass something (the assessment) to become a member. and i’m really pleased that i am part of the assossiation now  ;D was set up by john fisher, one of the best and most respected dog trainers around 🙂

Anonymous

I’m pleased that you are happy.  🙂

I’ve got a few years on you at nearly 60 and having worked with dogs for most of my life, I wouldn’t be.  :-\

“Membership in the APDT does not necessarily ensure all members employ similar training methods, nor does the Association set standards of skill or competence. “

Sorry but this is dreadful!

Oh wait, maybe i change my view after this

[quote author=Rough link=topic=12145.msg233835#msg233835 date=1217612871]
    “Membership in the APDT does not necessarily ensure all members employ similar training methods, nor does the Association set standards of skill or competence. “

Sorry but this is dreadful!
    [/quote]

Right again Bev!  😉

Anonymous

Foxy, it’s certainly not the public perception that they broadcast and it would appear, not the members’ perception either!  :-\ :'(

Anonymous

ok….. if you have never taken part or been invoved with the association then i don’t know how you can be so sure of how they work. but thats obviously your opinion so thats fine.  from my experience and fellow trainers and behaviourists i worked with and have watched, being in the a.p.d.t is only a posiItve thing. they want kind fair and effective training classes for dogs and owners, none of the old school harsh forceful methods. how thats a bad thing, i dont know!

Hello and welcome  🙂

Bev even I dont get bitten on the bum by my doggy customers  😮 now i know why i groom not train  😉

Anonymous

What is posted on their website is not what you are saying.  Have a read.  🙂  I’ve copied and pasted – not made it up!  ::)

my experience and fellow trainers and behaviourists i worked with and have watched, being in the a.p.d.t is only a posiItve thing.

Of course they will say that.  It brings them in a nice steady flow of work because people like me who worked with dogs for a living, would recommend ADPT trainers because we thought that they had been trained to a set standard.  This proves otherwise.  :-\

Any parlour dog who’s owner had a problem, I would always tell them to find an ADPT behaviourist until I read their website!

wasting your breath Rough poster has left  ::)

Anonymous

Perhaps she thought that she would get some business from here??  Fat chance!  ::)

😉 nope!!

kizkiznobite

i have always had the greatest respect for John fisher..he is missed enormously by many many people and the dog world lost a good dog man the day he died…his aim was to create an organisation that had pre-determined goals and standards …the ideals and ethos of what was set up in the beginning compared to what is now are in MHO miles apart….

ooo surprising views on the A.P.DT.

Anonymous

what suprises you ?

i’ve seen APDT trainers stand by and watch training discs (METAL DISCS – 3 or 4 on a keyring) thrown AT a dog in a public training class because it was being a typical untrained lab and trying its best to “hoover up” treat smells from other ppl’s dropped treats !

i have watched almost all the APDT trainers in my area (with exception of the lady on here who is in northants) and some in surrounding counties and i STILL chose to spend (in comparison) a much SMALLER sum of money on years of experience from kiz.

John Fischer *WAS* great but thats just it, he is no longer here to guide the organisation to which he put his name.  I really wish those he left behind would get his name taken off the organisation – all it serves to do is mislead people who havent even lived yet they can be dog trainers because they passed an exam, and public see it as a guarentee of quality.

I know for a FACT atleast one APDT trainer uses anti-bark collars on her own dogs because she is too lazy to train them not to bark !!

Claire.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime