Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Best diet for your dog??

Home Archive Forums General Category General Discussion Best diet for your dog??

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Honey doesnt get raw whole fish anymore – not after she killed it over my bedroom carpet  😮 I dont care how much better it tastes after a few days – she has it outta can  😛

Diesel73
    quote :

diesel….proteins have no taste of their own so to speak and fish is one of the foods where the proteins are degraded by fermentation of the amino acids…it is this process that produces the taste (and the high smell  )…..cubert does the same….he hides fish where it is warm….once stuck a sardine under the tele console  we thought ami was coming into heat    recently he hid one in falkors bed…i was having neurotic moments for 2 days thinking it was falkors urea i could smell 

:vomit: …… Funny dogs. Diesel ate my siamese fightfish straight from the tank while it was swimming but his already dead lunch has to stink of death. Maybe if i throw a makreel in the fishtank  ::) ……….. hahaha  😀

kizkiznobite

😀 that was prey drive in action  ;D

*Nat*

I can’t ever imagine Piper not eating  😮 She a pig  ::) Would eat and eat if I let her, permanantly scrounging she is  :yes: I know people who leave food down all the time for their dogs and they help themselves when they like – could never do this, she’d eat and eat and eat…..  ::) Mind you they do feed dry balls in a bag so……  :whistle:

xtine

Will take a pic of it… think it’s something I planted years ago, badly  :embarrass: and never flowrs.. nd now it’s everywhere in the back garden..

He likes the new shoots from it…

will take a pic now  :ok:

xtine

[img width=468 height=313]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l113/fritzbitz_2006/DSC_0006.jpg[/img]

There’s one.. is growing as a weed behind Richard’s bike

xtine

[img width=313 height=468]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l113/fritzbitz_2006/DSC_0004.jpg[/img]

[img width=313 height=468]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l113/fritzbitz_2006/DSC_0005.jpg[/img]

Well my lot eat everything…….complete (working), raw meaty bones, fish, vegetables, kitchen scraps, including pizza and ice-cream!  :yes:
    And aswell as being happy, they are duel purpose dogs that do reasonably well  😉

Diesel73
    quote :

kitchen scraps, including pizza and ice-cream!  :yes:

… Calzone’s, kebabs with extra garlic sauce… all goes down in seconds  😛 .

melinda

I’ve just read this with interest, I honestly had no idea that ‘balls in a bag’ were all that bad  ???

I feed my dogs one of the supposed ‘better quality’ kibbles, Simba has Oscars Ultracare hypoallergenic stuff (she has suspected IBD and gets sick/colitis on red meat proteins, pork and some other things).  Oscar was sent home from DT with a little bag of Arden Grange, which I thought was also good.

I did loads of research when Simba got poorly and the vet approved of the Oscars diet, so I thought I was being a good dog owner feeding them that.

Bev has mentioned to me that it would benefit Oscar to get him onto a raw diet, but I think that we’ll have to be phased off ‘convenience’ foods slowly… as she knows, i’m a veggie and although I will not deny my dogs meat, the idea of bits of flesh/bones around the place really does not appeal to me  :scared:

Having said that… I spoke to my dad about it and he has told me that the Pyrenean mountain dogs we had when I was a kid couldn’t stomach commercial dog food, and that he used to stock up at the knacker’s yard with things for the freezer and as he used to shoot too, he’d throw them rabbits and pheasants.  They lived to be between 12 and 14 so I guess that’s actually a grand old age for a giant breed, maybe diet did that?

Mudgie

Vets are surgeons not nutritionists.  I think in their whole training they cover about 5 hours of nutrition unless it is something they want to study further for themselves.

Think about it this way if you eat junk food all day, fizzy drinks full of sugar, convenience foods full of chemicals, additives and enumbers would you feel fit and healthy?  Dogs are scavengers and most will eat anything – you have to make the choices for them.  Choices that are best for the dog not for you. 

I tend to keep my raw meat/bones in fridge in large tupperwares or in freezer – if you leave them around the place you might have trouble finding them later  😉

melinda

Yep I get that, honest! My point of confusion is that Simba’s kibble doesn’t have any nasty additives etc in it and it only has good carb sources no filler stuff – her food is herring and potato kibbles, nowt else other than some vitamins etc in the mix and she’s never been better – she was a right mess when we got her and it took a long time to get her eating properly and not poorly.

I’m sure Bev will explain it all to me and i’m totally willing to change, I just feel very bad right now because I thought I was feeding them ‘the good stuff’  🙁

Still not sold on bits of animal all over the place though!  It’s one thing putting meat in a bowl, don’t want blood on my carpet  :vomit:

Izzie

Train them to eat their bones on a washable mat

or put them in the garden with their bones

Sweetypye

Don’t feel bad. Millions of people feed their dogs on commercial dog food without any problems.  Some people cannot feed raw for various reasons, so there is no need to go on a guilt trip because you are feeding a good commercial diet.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

I believe that raw feeding is best for my dogs, but there are some dogs/owners that cannot cope with raw; just as we cannot cope with certain foods; not because they are “poor” but because our bods do not like them.

Research and think about it, there is no need to make sudden changes until and unless you are confident and competent about raw feeding. :ok:

melinda

Thanks, that makes me feel a bit better!

We used to give my old springer marrowbones, but that was years ago before the mad cow disease scares.  Maybe I could start off by just giving Oscar the odd bone to see how he gets on and if I can stomach it.  🙂

I wouldn’t dare risk it with Simba, she would no doubt end up in the vets again ill, she’s a ‘delicate’ one!

I might start trying to give her sardines or something though, as I know she can eat fish without getting poorly.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime