Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

BEV :) need your help

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training BEV :) need your help

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

I am moving into a new place in new year and it states that in tenancy the landlord can enter the property for emergancy reasons.
    The property is above thier shop so I can understand the need for this, however Stan does standoff aginst anyone that comes into the property and being big and black he looks very scary. The only reason we have managed to get a dog walker is because he meets them before hand.

Is there any way I can ‘install’ a code work or something onto Stan so that if the landlord needs to get in then they can safly.

Of course this is only going to be used if they cant get hold of myself or my parnter

What would you recomend??

*Lassie*

Kerrie can’t your new landlord meet and greet with Stan , learn some of your cues and use them while you are with them?

I am hoping that they will be able to but they are busy and my partner is scared of them lol so not sure if he is going to speak to them about it or not. Otherwise I will try and get hold of them once we have moved in but again there is no guarentee

*Lassie*

[quote author=kerrie and stan link=topic=16186.msg282722#msg282722 date=1323115559]
    I am hoping that they will be able to but they are busy and my partner is scared of them lol so not sure if he is going to speak to them about it or not. Otherwise I will try and get hold of them once we have moved in but again there is no guarentee
    [/quote]

If they need access to your flat can’t they just phone one of you to let them in?

They can and Im hoping that they will but I am thinking just incase they can get hold of either of us, if we are at work or something

*Lassie*

[quote author=kerrie and stan link=topic=16186.msg282724#msg282724 date=1323115972]
    They can and Im hoping that they will but I am thinking just incase they can get hold of either of us, if we are at work or something
    [/quote]

Just get them to phone you at work then tell your boss you have to pop home before the dog eats your landlord >:D

hahahaha love that idea ;D not sure it would go down very well though lol

Diesel73

[quote author=kerrie and stan link=topic=16186.msg282728#msg282728 date=1323117488]
    hahahaha love that idea ;D not sure it would go down very well though lol
    [/quote]
    Than don’t tell boss details and just leave it at ‘stranger in my home’  :yes: .

Ohh i dunno – my landlords know not to enter the premises unless they have my permission – that said i came home once thinking the gas guy would be gone and he was still here in the kitchen – let both boys off their leads they came flying in and straight away came flying back out doing the whole argh mum stranger – then went and made friends lol! o the whole though im lucky i think the boys would let someone in even if there was a lot of barking first!

Sweetypye

I would not worry too much if your dog just does a “stand off”. At the end of the day it is normal tenancy agreement that a landlord can access home for EMERGENCY purposes, how likely is this?

As long as you have prewarned the landlord he can be armed with some food to throw or a toy?

I have a dog that would do a little more than a “stand off” if a stranger came in, so I had to make special arrangements in the event of……..

kizkiznobite

lord…have been asked a lot of can you do in my time…

ok…i think kerrie you need to think a bit about what you are asking here  🙂

you are asking a dog…that hasnt been trained in the bite no bite…as in the safest dog in the world is the dog with a bite on cue yes?
    to now…at his age…to learn to discriminate…between a house breaker or a landlord…mmm
    hard…and i think you need to define to us your version of stans stand of?

as in…have you tested what he does when a stranger enters your home?
    does he just mouth off? would he attack?

lots to ask of a dog to be honest….he doing his job…and now you want him to think about it? when you not there to cue him?

am with sweetypye on this….my dogs would do more than what i think you mean by a stand off….ami wont even let aunty meryl in without a battle if i am not here…and she has a cued bite…meryl can do dont be f ing stupid it me and walk past her…she known her since pup…but ami sure ‘stands off’ on her….cubert…my big daft beastie…we have inadvertantly tested this…he wouldnt let any stranger in …he would go for the jugular…esp with ami backing him up…and i wouldnt want it any other way…

i think the only thing you can do is get landlord involved and get stan to know him…and practice in out in out etc etc over and over…with you there with you not there…and test and test…but….

in an emergency?? alarms…smoke…noise…others…smoke…heat….noise…well…he will do his job…thats what we have them for….

I know Im asking a lot of Stan and I realy dont like the idea of the landlord entering the property without one of us there but there is nothing I can do.

I have tested Stan on a fake break in when I am here but he hasnt been tested with just himself at home.
    He does mouth off at strangers coming in but as you said I am here to cue him so he soon quiets.
    I honestly dont know if he would attack someone he believed to be an intruder, he has gone for people to defend myself and my partner but that was in defence of us.

I think Im going to have to talk to the landlords and tell them that until they get to now Stan then they enter at thier own risk.
    I might also leave some realy nice juicy sweets hidden by the front door aswell

Kerrie all my landlords/agents etc who are involved and who may in event of an emergency need to enter my home with the dogs there and me not know they do so at their own risk – they have all been warned that my dogs might not allow them in – in all honesty ive no idea, manny wont normally go near a stranger, dex is very friendly if a little aloof until hes sure they are ‘friends’ honey is a law unto herself, love or again go nowhere near!!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime