Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Castrate or not? (pussycat. Would really appreciate your thoughts on this one)

Home Archive Forums General Category General Discussion Castrate or not? (pussycat. Would really appreciate your thoughts on this one)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Diesel73

My catboy Oscar…. 5 months now, 6 on 21st of October… èèèèverybody tells me to get it castrated. (friends, vet, family, you name it  ::) ) And it is usually done at the age of 6 months… At first all the arguments they all gave me seemed to make sence to me… now, i am doubting.  :-\

The ‘pro’ castration arguments they all given me;
    -Oscarboy… is actually a ‘she’  :whistle: .
    -pussy ex-trem-ly difficult temperament when they are in heat (can you call it that for a pussycat  ??? )
    -pussy ALWAYS escape somehow when in heat.
    -as good as ALL female pussycats that are NOT castrated sooner or later get cancer in woom or cervix or … boobcancer (it’s called different, i know  :embarrass: , but can’t find the right words  ::) )

The ‘con’ castration arguments that are basicly only our own…;
    -I’m anti-castration (unless there is a lilfe threatning reason).
    -come on! It can’t be true right? Not almost all pussycats that aren’t castrated get cervicalcancer do they? Mother nature not thàt stupid,.. is she?? Or is there really a high risk?
    -are pussycats really that difficult during those periods or just uhm… (how i say this the nice way  :whistle: …) like human females can get?
    -Oscar not alload outside unless on a lead so no scruffy, big fat, stinky, gutter-minded macho, rambocat is EVER coming close to my little Oscargirl.
    – Fourth and final……. never thought i would get so attached to pussybeasty  ::) . Don’t want to my smallest ‘groenendaeler’ under compleet sedation and leave it at the vet’s all day if it’s not neccasary. It kind of grown on me i guess :whistle: . But he’s……. SHE’s such a sweet little beasty with a very soft character, a beautiful coat that shines like a mirror, and very active (amuzes Diesel aaaaall day during the rainy days inside the house instead of sleeping all day like all other cats seem to do). So i’m kind of weiry that castration would change her character, playfullness or coat in any way…

THIS is e-xact-ly why i have dogs instead of bitches  :death: . Wife doesn’t know what to do either, she never had any cats or pussies. (by the way here cat (kat) is male and pussy (poes) is female, does that go in English too?)

Depending on what board you are on i can name a thousand internet pages that would highly recommend castration for dogs aswell or they would garantee die of cancer. But here (on this board) we all know that’s a load of b@llshit. I’ve been doing a lot of searching online ever since we got Oscar, but i can only find ‘pro castration’ pages usually written by vets themselves, and way to many ‘wish i didn’t cause she changed so much’ written by catowners, to my liking.

Come on, give me your thoughts, i’m really stuck on this one.

ps. sorry for my chaotic post, brain is allover the place  ::) .

Right Diesel let me get this right – Oscar isnt a boy but is actually a girl???

In that case YES GET HER NEUTERED or she will be having kittens before you can even think about it!! Seriously, cats can be much harder to keep in and oh god just get her spayed seriously they can have litters very quickly after having the firts lot and lots of kittens and yeah anytime from now!!!!

*Nat*

Yes I would get her done too, cats roam and she’ll be pregnant before you know it  :yes:

Diesel73

[quote author=SuzAndTheDiva link=topic=15436.msg277337#msg277337 date=1286055498]
    Right Diesel let me get this right – Oscar isnt a boy but is actually a girl???
    [/quote]
    Yes  :embarrass: … ‘He’ is actualla a ‘she’.

We always thought we were going to get a male cat. And my son said for years he was going to name his cat ‘Oscar’. So ‘Oscar’ remained ‘Oscar’ even though it’s a girl.

But I had to pick one  ::) . And i choose the kitten that was the most affectionate. I found out it was a female BEFOR i took him home. But i wanted THAT kitten for my son.

Thought ‘it a pussycat, am dogperson, not catperson, i won’t bond with it’ (  :whistle:  :ugly: ) … but now i’m not so sure.
    Pussycat always in the house with us, constantly sticking to Diesel. If the boys are with me all day and Oscar is in the house he looks and wines till we get back in. Am…. not to keen on the idea of leaving her with the vet for a day (standard here, they keep it for a day to monitore it after  total sedation).

Last time Wodan was under (for that fang he broke) vet had a hard time waking him up. That’s still fresh in my memory, and he was a big strong boy at the time. This is a tiny little fragile girl.  :-\

You both don’t think she will change after? Like not so affectionate or problems with her coat or such?

*Lassie*

Female cats when they come into heat can – meow constantly, go off their food and escape from anywhere. If not mated can come back into season within weeks so they lose condition.

No she won’t change, Bramble is still a mad little thing, her coat is still soft and shiny and she is still very very affectionate.
    Still boss of the dogs too 😉

Val

YES GET HER NEUTERED and YES I am shouting she could be in kitten by the time she is seven months she can be mated again soon after the kittens are born.
    You know how I feel about dogs and their bits but cats are a different ball game.
    Boys will be spraying all round your house the smell is terrible and difficult to get rid of she will spend her time howling and even if you could keep her caged if she is not mated she will come right back into season
    Val

Diesel73
    quote :

YES GET HER NEUTERED and YES I am shouting she could be in kitten by the time she is seven months she can be mated again soon after the kittens are born…..Boys will be spraying all round your house the smell is terrible and difficult to get rid of she will spend her time howling and even if you could keep her caged if she is not mated she will come right back into season

why oh why didn’t i stick to dogs  ::)…. Mnwell ok  :confused: … than next month we got to miss her for a day  :-\ .

To be honest, i always thought ‘litters won’t happen to ME, as Oscar is only alload on lead outside but than again==>

quote :

You know how I feel about dogs and their bits but cats are a different ball game.

…….. than again, 1-even though it behave like a dog  ::) … it’s not and i know nothing about housetigers, and 2- it’s a GIRL. So i got nooooo idea whàt to expect when she is growing up.

quote :

No she won’t change, Bramble is still a mad little thing, her coat is still soft and shiny and she is still very very affectionate.
    Still boss of the dogs too

Thx Lass, that’s a great reassurance. It’s what i need to hear  😉 .

And Val?

quote :

and YES I am shouting

….. Sometimes i need that. and this was one of those moments. Thank you  :-* .

Diesel I can always remember when my mum and dad had our little girly cat neutered – done asap as we had her brother and obviosly we didnt want kittens  😀 All I will say is explain to the kids really well – i was only hmmm 6 at the time and even now i still remember thinking she had gone to the vets to die…… ::) dont ask me why i guess my mum didnt think id take that much notice, and i remember being terrified when she did come back home with a shaved side…..i think i worried she was going to die until her hair grew back  :embarrass: i will say she was fine for it though and bounced straight back and was the same moody cow she was before the op  😀

Val

I have always had girls be it dogs or cats never had a temperament change in any of them
    Val

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime