Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Dobermann

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dog Breeds Dobermann

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

You will get loads of replies  ;D we have a lot of dobies on this board, I have never owned one but I know a lot of breeders and meet a lot at shows I like them.
    Val

[quote author=Sal™ link=topic=7108.msg225582#msg225582 date=1214045812]
    Hi, am new to this site and i’m having a read around it when I get the chance and noticed this thread.  I love the look of dobies, its a breed I would consider but don’t really know any personally.  What are they like to live with?  Are they easy to train? (or should I say do they like to please?).  Are they a breed you would keep with smaller dogs?  Obviously they have tails left on now – how does everyone with them feel about that?  (I feel I should be glad docking isn’t allowed, but love the look without tails  :-[).  Any feedback would be appreciated.  I’m not looking to obtain another big dog yet, but in the future I most certainly will be.  I have had GSDs for many years and think its time for a change!!
    [/quote]

*Lassie*

Hi my sister has a 3 year old Dobie (full) male, he is a soft as a pudding ;D
    She lets him get away with more than I would but on the whole he is well mannered and very loving although it did take sometime to teach him recall.
    He is very good around the house, lives with a 18 month old cat brought in as a 8 week kitten who he adores and lets it walk all over him  so think they would be OK with a smaller dog ;D
    He will give a warning growl/bark if people come to the house but leaves them alone once they are invited in. He is totally devoted to his family and rarely goes to strangers.
    Jaydex, Nat and the others will be able to give you a clearer idea 😉

Anonymous

Hi, am new to this site and i’m having a read around it when I get the chance and noticed this thread.  I love the look of dobies, its a breed I would consider but don’t really know any personally.  What are they like to live with?  Are they easy to train? (or should I say do they like to please?).  Are they a breed you would keep with smaller dogs?  Obviously they have tails left on now – how does everyone with them feel about that?  (I feel I should be glad docking isn’t allowed, but love the look without tails  :-[).  Any feedback would be appreciated.  I’m not looking to obtain another big dog yet, but in the future I most certainly will be.  I have had GSDs for many years and think its time for a change!!
    [/quote]

Hi & Welcome 🙂

They are special needs dogs, needs to be loved 24/7 😉 Reasonably easy to train, they do have a stubborn streak but with firm handling can be very sociable, need to be taught from an early age who is boss, my twos best friend is a Min Pin so no probs with little dogs, dont like tails, but it wouldnt stop me owning one.
    I just met a dobe puppy today with a docked tail, 14 weeks old, they got him from Ireland, skinny little thing he was, she said they got all papers etc, dont think even with papers I would have bought a pup looking like that, but hey ho each to their own! :-X

When you do decide to one be very selective where you go, good breeders usually sell by recommendation rather than having to advertise.

*Nat*

I’ll second all thats been said  ;D I’m on my second and cant imagine having any other breed  🙂 I had our first with a JR X KCS and they got on fine so don’t think there’s any problem with small dogs! I’ve had Piper from 12 weeks and she’ll be 5 in November, I have to sons of 7 and 8 and have never had any problems with them – they love each other!

Very protective breed, loyal and loving and I can highly recommend them  🙂

Just edited to add – if you do have one then don’t expect to ever be able to go to the loo on your own again  😀

Sweetypye

Dobes are different kettle of fish to GSD.

As for being easy to train, that depends what you want them to do.

The world of obedience, working trials, schutzhund is not exactly overrun with dobermanns…………….  😉

Anonymous

[quote author=Sweetypye link=topic=7108.msg226167#msg226167 date=1214237430]

The world of obedience, working trials, schutzhund is not exactly overrun with dobermanns…………….  😉
    [/quote]

I beg to differ, I know an awful lot of people who do obedience and Schutzhund, one of the Aritaur clan has just passed his Schutzhund II.

Sweetypye

I am afraid Martin and Jay do not constitute “an awful lot of people”.

If you look at the Working Trials record in the UK and the Schutzhund record Dobermanns are conspicuous either by their absence or their failures with only one or two very rare exceptions such as John Fleets WT Chs.

There may be an “awful lot of people” participating in obedience but how successful are they?

There are only two Dobes competing in WT at the moment in the lower stakes and there has not been a Dobermann in ticket stakes for at least 10 years if not longer.

There are a couple more dobes in Schutzhund than trials but they spend a great deal of time failing or being disqualified I am afraid.

ps I forgot Chancepixies kennel but they are the exception to the rule.

Only 4 Dobes have ever achieved Schutzhund 3 in the UK.

These are just facts.

*Nat*

[/quote]

Sweetypye,  I’m probably being defensive here but when did this turn into a competition over who’s best at obedience, working trials and schutzhund  ??? The OP merely asked what Dobermanns were like as a breed, what are they like to live with etc!!

Sweetypye

I am not making a competition out of anything, I am merely responding to a post regarding whether or not dobes are easy to train, I said that it depends what you want them for, and gave the facts, not opinions, or prejudices.

the same way as I would for any breed as this poster had GSD for many years.

Are they easy to train?

And when people say they know an awful lot of people who compete in schutzhund, we obviously need to clarify what is “an awful lot of people” as the records speak for themselves surely?

All this information is in the public domain.

Anonymous

Exactly Nat!

Am not going to get involved in an argument ‘I know more people than you do’ crap am going by ALL the people I talk to on a Dobe Forum thankyou, they all seem very successful in what they do does it matter if they arent up there with the big guns, they and their dogs enjoy it thats the main thing, which proves that Dobes can do these things!

*Nat*

Yes, in general are they easy to train and yes, I think they are!! Your post came accross as very much “my breeds better than your breed”  :-\

Anyway lets not ruin this thread with arguments  🙂 Perhaps if the original OP needs advice on Schutzhund, the world of obedience or working trials they can start a new thread  🙂

Sweetypye

Your post came accross as very much “my breeds better than your breed” 

Hmm , cannot see anywhere in my post where I have referred to either of my breeds; or that they may or may not be better than any other?

Must have missed that.  😉

As I always say, people can interpret posts in all sorts of ways……………

*Nat*

Well like I said “I’m probably being defensive”  😉 but I wasn’t the only one to read it that way……….  😉

Sal™

thanks for your answers, it was a general question about everyday training/willingness to please as opposed to competition standard working trials etc.  Can you clarify the bit about dobes being a different kettle of fish to GSDs?  In what way?  Thanks again for your input, its great to be able to “ask” owners of a breed that interests you isnt it?  ;D

Anonymous

[quote author=Sal™ link=topic=7108.msg226554#msg226554 date=1214349367]
    .  Can you clarify the bit about dobes being a different kettle of fish to GSDs?  In what way?  [/quote]

This should be interesting!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime