Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

dog given up

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs dog given up

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gracie

I have a BT due in for a swim soon who is a rescue and has given up, seems depressed. Not seen the dog yet so don’t know how bad apprantly teased poss ‘bullied’ by prev owners children. Don’t even know how long been in new home for.
    Just trying to get others experiences. Am thinking not typical for a BT to give up tho not had much dealing with this breed so must have been through a lot. Obv swimming will be done at his pace and hopefully teach him its fun to get toys (I don’t think he plays with toys as prev had balls kicked at him)
    Any advice please   

Izzie

I had a foster like that, took time and patience once she learnt I wasnt there to do anything bad to her, she came out of her shell and is now brilliant so happy and has a great life with her new owners

Gracie

Any witchywoo stuff? I have in my head a sniff of yarrow? will have to dig out uni notes
    We had a cocker who was down in the dumps and got his mojo back after swimming but his mum was ermm how shall i say abit up and down ;D

Izzie

Oh thats a Val jobby that!

he might have  learned helplessness as well Cheryl

Gracie

VALLLLLL

Izz would ignore the bad reward the good also apply in this case if he has learnt helplessness a case of trying to create some good to reward and as you say patience owner building up trust. He is in tomorrow.

Gracie

Well i dont think this little dog has given up, but he has has some previous bad experiences and poor thing he cant even walk past a child without freaking out, he did well swimming and we got a little ever so slight wag of his tail  🙂

Izzie

thats good, am pleased.

He needs lots of positive experiences, then with kiddies at a distance and slowly brea the distance down until the kids can be near enough to reward him themselves, but it would need to be kids the owners can trust.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime