Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Free Shaping Snoozy

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    toppy

onlt just spotted this!  ::) sorry kiz!

Ok, i am a little confused!……………………..What exactly is free shaping? (sorry  :-[ )

kizkiznobite

it is a training method where the dogs thinks it has taught itself a behaviour – loads on here tyep freeshaping in the search box

toppy

ok will have a snoop, thanks!
    So, ill have to start at the beginning to do the snoozy?

kizkiznobite

she will have to understand how to free shape – you too  😉
    look at the other posts and come back with q’s

toppy

Well read through posts!! something cant be working upstairs because i dont get any of it, from start to finish!  ::)

kizkiznobite

put a toy on the floor – hold treat in fingers so she can see it

dont speak at all – when she looks at the toy – click and treat – keep doing this until she looks at the toy everytime – then stop clicking for looking and wait until she touches it with her nose or paw – the click and reward that lots then stop again until it just nose she is touching with – when she does it everytime for 20 times say nose as she touches with nose – keep going – eventually you will be able to say nose and she will touch an object with it

when she got this – then put a bed on the floor and do the same until she goes and lies on it – ok with me? did you watch the vid with sadie minpin?

toppy

ahh i see, yes i watched the vids, thanks Kiz!! Will start this tonight when the kids are in bed!

think i was reading too much into it!!  ::)

toppy

hmmm been doing this with milly (nose)  she is getting there, the only thing is though, when you tell her nose, she looks at you stupid for a few minutes and then lays down as though im telling her the ‘leave’ although i dont use the ‘leave’ voice tone. then after a few times of telling her nose she touches with her nose then sods off playing with the toy!!

Whats going wrong, should she be touching with her nose then sitting back? ( cos she aint doing that)  :-\

kizkiznobite

you have verbal cued too fast – tape over mouth – get it fluent before adding a cue  ;D

toppy

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=3830.msg94052#msg94052 date=1163604610]
    you have verbal cued too fast – tape over mouth – get it fluent before adding a cue  ;D
    [/quote]

ahh ok!! thanks will go again, its hard staying quiet for that long!  ;D

Anonymous

Nacho loves doing this…. skips when he sees treat box and clicker….  ;D
    makes him sooooooooooo tired…. although maybe we should rename Bluebell  – freeshaper ?  ???  ;D

toppy

hmm, have been working on this, yet again, and managed to keep  :-X (almost  ;D )

Everytime we say nose to something, she looks at us then touches the object with her nose then site back and looks at me??? better than before i guess, is this what ment to happen??

Anonymous

;D

now do it with another action.  Nacho can do touch, lick, – my fav ones.  I have a treat in hand and say touch – he touches with nose, I say lick, he licks, I say – take it – he takes it.  He is now so fluent I mix it up. 

So now try it with another object with another part of body  ??? 

toppy

ooooooooo think this gunna be hard lol! ok so, knowing milly she is going to wonder why when i start it all again that im not rewarding the nose? so obviously take it right back to the beginning? and then wait til she touches with something different??

She wont forget nose though will she?

Anonymous

Start with the nose to give her confidence.  Say nose and reward then do something else… Decide before you start what the behaviour is going to be.

She may get frustrated and bark  Nacho does.  Do close recall (back of hand – dont know if you do this one) Or even nose just to get her focussed again and lose frustration.  Most of all  :-X. be patient, in dogs time not yours…  😉  Don’t over do it or she will see it as negative and always finish on positive note….  ;D

This is fun Nacho loves it… 

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime