Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

GSD and the Kennel club

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs in the News GSD and the Kennel club

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    *Lassie*

EMBARGOED UNTIL 00.01 TUESDAY 28 JULY 2009

ALLOCATION OF CHALLENGE CERTIFICATES
    TO GERMAN SHEPHERD DOGS (ALSATIANS) IN 2012

The Kennel Club has recently completed the overall allocation of Championship Status for 2012 (published in the August issue of the Kennel Gazette) but has declined for the time being to allocate Kennel Club Challenge Certificates for that year to German Shepherd Dogs (Alsatians) until it has resolved various matters with the GSD fraternity.

The Kennel Club has been in contact with representatives from the German Shepherd Dog Clubs and Council to discuss concerns raised by judges over the conformation of the breed as frequently seen in the show ring.
    During the course of these discussions it has been stressed that the Kennel Club is aware of sensitivities within the breed, but is also acutely conscious that there is a clear need for the KC and breed clubs to work together to resolve health issues of all kinds and put an end to the practice of double handling.

The KC Breed Health and Welfare Strategy Group is particularly keen to ensure both the proper application of the Kennel Club Breed Standard – and the avoidance of exaggeration – by judges and breeders alike. The Kennel Club notes the level of valid criticism from all quarters; not only within the world of dogs, but also from the veterinary profession and from the general public. The KC is aware of similar concerns in other parts of Europe.

GSD breed representatives were asked, in the discussions that have taken place, to help enhance the reputation of this well recognised breed. There was agreement that there were problems with the hindquarters of some dogs, and that dogs with hocks touching or almost touching were most unsatisfactory. It was felt by some that the tendency for this stemmed from the length of the second thigh. Concern has also been expressed over the potential adverse effect on health both of exaggerated toplines which seem in some cases to be almost roached, and of toplines which fall away in an exaggerated manner.

Breed representatives agreed that during their training, judges must be made aware of the need for overall soundness and, in particular, strength in the hindquarters.

In addition to this, the Kennel Club and many German Shepherd Dog exhibitors have serious concerns relating to double handling of the breed, which appears to continue unabated. The Kennel Club continues to monitor breed club shows for compliance with the Regulation which prevents the attraction of the attention of dogs from outside the ring. All clubs were written to at the beginning of 2008 confirming that shows would be monitored and were provided with an advice note on how to manage double handling. It was pointed out at this time that if at a club’s show there was continued double handling which had gone unchecked then future show licences could be placed in jeopardy. Similarly any judge or exhibitor failing to comply with the Regulations will be investigated with possible resulting disciplinary action. Double handling, as well as being against Kennel Club Regulations, has serious implications for the safety of those at the ringside and also for the welfare of the dogs. The KC is determined that this practice must cease in order to preserve the reputation of dog showing and dog welfare.

The Kennel Club emphasises that discussions must continue on these matters in a satisfactory manner to ensure that acceptable plans are in place and that actions have commenced to resolve matters – including double handling – before the 2012 allocation of CCs to GSDs is confirmed.

Heard about this the other day, from my experience the GSD people are the most against any change in their breed even though they have one of the worst reps for backends etc.  If this is what it takes, so be it  🙂

Sweetypye

Ah the GSD people…………… yes they are “different” from every other social group!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :what:

What a sweeping generalisation when those who own, breed, show and/or work them come from varying disparate backgrounds, points of view etc etc etc.

Nothing like prejudice is there!? :whatever:

Well i can hardly give a percentage of how many people in GSDs breed or show or award GSDs with bad backends can i?  ::)  How else do you want me to say it?  The people breeding dogs ABC,  XYZ  are against change.  Get a grip  ::)

:whatever:  yourself!!!

Sweetypye

Your experience is therefore is of little account not having much of it, which then undermines the credibility of your views, but everyone is entitled to a view, howeve ill informed and uninformed. :whatever:

*Lassie*

I put the post up for information not to start a cat fight  :surrender:

Val

I totally agree with the KC for once, it’s about time we were looking at UK KC standard GSD’s in the ring.
    Personally I do not give a toss what is working outside the showring but inside it all needs straightening out, so there is one breed one type and judges stick to the standard.

As for double handling that should of been dealt with years ago if the rest of us can get a dog shown without all the carry on that surrounds a GSD ring why are they so different it spoils the show for other exhibitors.

Some note SP some GSD exhibitors are just a bunch of bullies I feel sorry for any breed than lands up in the next ring to them been there done that.

It’s a great shame as they are a lovely breed I have had the pleasure of living with two both police bred as for showing them never the breed is in shambles
    Val

Anonymous

Yes I agree double handling can spoil it for others at All breed shows, but at the speciality shows just for GSDs I cant see a problem, like the gun test again at the single breed show not a problem it all helps in the overall atmosphere ask any one who as been to the Sieger Shau in Germany, brilliant atmosphere and all like minded people enjoying themselves . So ban it from All breed shows but not from the GSD speciality shows.
    Re the KC they realy need to sort themselves out, as the owner of WG line dogs especialy a so called extreme type with a 0:0 hip score they need to practice what they preach, make all health test mandatory for sire and dam to enable registration of progeny. My male if stacked may appear roached to some on movement his topline his level and he is certainly not unsound behind, dogs exercised correctly from a young age with good muscle tone even if their hocks or long do not show unsoundness. But I would also like to point out unsoundness due to loose/long hocks is not a health issue but HD, Ed, epilepsy etc is.

Val

Totally agree single breed I am not there LOL but doG I have been near some rings at general champ shows in my time it’s getting more crazy every year.
    I think health checks should be mandatory in ALL breeds.

[quote author=wildmoor link=topic=14563.msg270693#msg270693 date=1248893683]
    Yes I agree double handling can spoil it for others at All breed shows, but at the speciality shows just for GSDs I cant see a problem, like the gun test again at the single breed show not a problem it all helps in the overall atmosphere ask any one who as been to the Sieger Shau in Germany, brilliant atmosphere and all like minded people enjoying themselves . So ban it from All breed shows but not from the GSD speciality shows.
    Re the KC they realy need to sort themselves out, as the owner of WG line dogs especialy a so called extreme type with a 0:0 hip score they need to practice what they preach, make all health test mandatory for sire and dam to enable registration of progeny. My male if stacked may appear roached to some on movement his topline his level and he is certainly not unsound behind, dogs exercised correctly from a young age with good muscle tone even if their hocks or long do not show unsoundness. But I would also like to point out unsoundness due to loose/long hocks is not a health issue but HD, Ed, epilepsy etc is.
    [/quote]

*Lassie*

[quote author=Val link=topic=14563.msg270694#msg270694 date=1248896033]

I think health checks should be mandatory in ALL breeds.

[/quote]

I agree  :ok:

.dodger.

yep i agree with this pam :yes:

I think another issue with the GSD that the KC should be looking to try and sort out is the two separate ‘types’ of the breed

[quote author=wildmoor link=topic=14563.msg270693#msg270693 date=1248893683]
    [/quote]

**Woofums**

[quote author=.dodger. link=topic=14563.msg270708#msg270708 date=1248900288]
    yep i agree with this pam :yes:

I think another issue with the GSD that the KC should be looking to try and sort out is the two separate ‘types’ of the breed
    [/quote]

There are more than 2 types though aren’t there.?… we have the English, Germanic,American & Middle Of The Road.
    Crufts was a farce, with 2 styles of handling in one ring.

Val

Yep girls thats what I mean one type one standard in the ring, outside the ring I am not fussed as long as they are health checked that will keep me quiet  ;D

Anonymous

I agree Val they should All be Health Screened including Elbows this scheme as been going since 1998 and only about 500 tested, with the vast majority being either WG showline or European work line maybe 1% of other types! perhaps they dont think it is necessary it took long enough to get them to hip score regular, although still quite a few English type from all fields not hip x-raying.

Val whats the pup in your Avitar, looks cute but photo too small for my eyes, age lol

Diesel73

[quote author=Val link=topic=14563.msg270722#msg270722 date=1248972611]
    Yep girls thats what I mean one type one standard in the ring, outside the ring I am not fussed as long as they are health checked that will keep me quiet  ;D
    [/quote]
    I wish there would be a little more rules for sheps in general. Very easy to find a winning showbreeder, just look at their reps. But workingdogs, GOOD workingdogs are harder to find. Always via via, from hearsay… To me is always feels like finding a needle in a haymountain until i find what i want  😛 .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime