Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

help!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone, just wondering if you could help me….
    hope this doesn’t sound cheeky but I am just in the process of starting up my own little business, been working for others and getting as much experience as i can but now I feel i am ready to work for myself.
    As i know a few of you have your own dog businesses i was just wondering if you could tell me abit about the business side of things?
    i am all insured now for my training and walking so thats fine. i have a name but not sure if i need to register it or something? if so who with. i also know i need to declare myself self employed but just not sure how to go about it all!
    any help would be great as im new to this side of things
    :help:

Izzie

You need to let the Inland Revenue know you are starting up  and keep accounts for the year. Best wya to do it is to do a spreadsheet of income and expenses for each month.

Anonymous

Get a web site running and tons of leaflets

getting my leaflets/business cards printed soon  ;D

*Lassie*

No advice but GOOD LUCK  :ok:

Get in touch with inland revenue – one call, easy they will send the rubbish you need – keep records for EVERYTHING, even if it dont seem important or necessary. and go visit an accountant, i have one do mine is so much easier do the spreadsheets she does the rest including fill in my tax return – but thats cos I dont have time to hink let alone fill it in. Even if you dont use an accountant they will normally help show you how to keep the accounts correctly.

mr site i got my webstie through – comes with a free email address too, is good about £35 a year and easy to do.

you dont need to register the business name, but do try and make sure its not to similair to anyone elses (googling will tell you if it is!)

uhm cant think of anything else, i hate the paperwork side of stuff and my mum does mine i just drop it in to accountant and remember to keep reciepts. :embarrass:

xtine

try vistaprint for business cards etc…  :yes:

oh yes and on the free deals, magnet for the car and leaflets and postcards magnets you can give away etc etc :yes:

thankyou everyone thats put me on the right track! :-*
    i was just wondering shall i contact the inland revenue straight away even though i am not earning alot as i hav’nt properly started yet or do i wait untill im up and running? sorry to sound silly ::) :-[

you have three months from start of business – dont wait just get in touch, makes no difference as to when you pay tax etc but for peace of mind is better to know its all sorted – also because of NIC, they will send letter every 3 months think it is i forget i just pay the bill when it comes in – about £30 odd every three months or so.

Anonymous

Be up front from the beginning they won’t bother you for a long time yet

[quote author=dogloverwoooo! link=topic=13185.msg253896#msg253896 date=1228423299]
    thankyou everyone thats put me on the right track! :-*
    i was just wondering shall i contact the inland revenue straight away even though i am not earning alot as i hav’nt properly started yet or do i wait untill im up and running? sorry to sound silly ::) :-[
    [/quote]

right i shall give them a call thanks you been big help  :yes:

Anonymous

ooooh !

i wanna know more 🙂

also my dog walker is always turning work away so if you’re doing walking then I could let her know (not sure if she reccommends ppl to try others but she might)

her business walking / sitting etc… has grown like a weed (in a good way lol !!!) there is tons of demand locally 🙂  you could have a look at her charges and stuff too – see where to set yourself and that kind of thing.

also the NARP guidelines are well worth a read through even if you dont join for pointers about what might work / not work etc … 🙂

infact …. i might be interested if you would like a visitor sometime between boxing day and new yr !!

as for training – there is such a need for good training classes round here its untrue !!  i would love to be able to reccommend someone local and actually be able to go to one for a change !!

claire x

claire it feels like ages since you have been on here!!

Right basicly I would like to set up a walking, sitting and training business. I already do quite a bit of walking /sitting for people (well dogs!) but not as a ‘proper business’ more like a favour even though i do get paid! A little bit here and there type of thing along side my college lessons. As far as training classes go I am very happy where I am for now so won’t be running classes by myself yet, but definatly something to think about later on, especially now i have my APDT memebrship.

However I will be offering one to ones, there may be some dogs with some issues that I will recomend someone else to take on. I am very confident with my work training and most behavioural prooblems wise but if I come across a case that I believe needs more experience I have a fantastic lady I could recomend.

Good point about NARP. I am insured for dog walking and daycare but NARP will cover housesittig i think. its all very early days but its definatly something I really want to do in the new year  ;D
    Which walker do you use claire, is it Dotty for Dogs?
    Will keep you posted  😉

[quote author=piglet link=topic=13185.msg253922#msg253922 date=1228488304]
    ooooh !

i wanna know more 🙂

also my dog walker is always turning work away so if you’re doing walking then I could let her know (not sure if she reccommends ppl to try others but she might)

her business walking / sitting etc… has grown like a weed (in a good way lol !!!) there is tons of demand locally 🙂  you could have a look at her charges and stuff too – see where to set yourself and that kind of thing.

also the NARP guidelines are well worth a read through even if you dont join for pointers about what might work / not work etc … 🙂

infact …. i might be interested if you would like a visitor sometime between boxing day and new yr !!

as for training – there is such a need for good training classes round here its untrue !!  i would love to be able to reccommend someone local and actually be able to go to one for a change !!

claire x
    [/quote]

Anonymous

Hi,

oops silly me forgetting to tell you – yep I have dotty 4 dogs walk my two, and a friend of mine has one of their other walkers over wellingborough way to walk her dog.

i saw u had got APDT well done 🙂 

Clare at dotty is really lovely and if you didnt want to be “all alone” business wise as a first step – I know she is looking for people to work for Dotty especially ppl who can offer creche/overnight.  I dont know the “ins and outs” of it but may be worth a chat ??  I know one of her other walkers is also a behaviourist / trainer – maybe someone else to have a chat with about how the business side of things works for her?

just thinking out loud so to speak 😉

Claire x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime