Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Help, food agression

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    dilly

Hi, I’m the owner of the cocker my friend Misty wrote in about yesterday.He is growling when you go near him when he is eating food or a chew.When you shout at him he will keep growling and pee pee slightly.It’s really scary the growling is really loud.I’ve been adding food to his bowl when he is eating to show him I’m not taking food away and pretending to eat his dinner before I give him it.He is fine with that but left alone he doesn’t want you in same room.He will guard his chews & not eat them but you can’t go near them. I have today orerded the book `Mine`by Jean Donaldson as advised by Bev. Any hints to keep me going until book arrives as its getting sent from US as none in this country.

Anonymous

I would hand feed him and take away the chews.
    What are you feeding him on as food also plays a big part in this
    Val

[quote author=dilly link=topic=11920.msg228114#msg228114 date=1215100754]
    Hi, I’m the owner of the cocker my friend Misty wrote in about yesterday.He is growling when you go near him when he is eating food or a chew.When you shout at him he will keep growling and pee pee slightly.It’s really scary the growling is really loud.I’ve been adding food to his bowl when he is eating to show him I’m not taking food away and pretending to eat his dinner before I give him it.He is fine with that but left alone he doesn’t want you in same room.He will guard his chews & not eat them but you can’t go near them. I have today orerded the book `Mine`by Jean Donaldson as advised by Bev. Any hints to keep me going until book arrives as its getting sent from US as none in this country.
    [/quote]

dilly

I feed him pedigree chum puppy complete. Have been giving hm a bit at a time for 3 weeks now but tonight I gave him it all at once and he growled and wet himself while he was eating because I stayed in kitchen

Diesel73

Ditch Pedigree, almost nothing is worse. Except for Frolic perhaps  ::) .

wags

what you need to do is send him to me  😉

Anonymous

I have forgotten how old he is let me know could you.
    The food as Diesel says is rubbish, when I say feed him by hand I mean just that one ball at a time, start with that for a couple of meals feed it on the flat of your hand then move on to shutting your hand with the food in it saying Mine, ask him to sit or down then give him the ball then feed a few balls always one at a time then do the Mine again.
    It’s a much better way for him to learn you are in charge of food.
    This is worrying in a pup I would like to know what colour he is and whats his breeding, he almost sounds like a puppy farmers pup that has had to fight for envery mouthful of food
    Val

[quote author=dilly link=topic=11920.msg228131#msg228131 date=1215108907]
    I feed him pedigree chum puppy complete. Have been giving hm a bit at a time for 3 weeks now but tonight I gave him it all at once and he growled and wet himself while he was eating because I stayed in kitchen
    [/quote]

Diesel73
    quote :

This is worrying in a pup I would like to know what colour he is and whats his breeding, he almost sounds like a puppy farmers pup that has had to fight for envery mouthful of food

I find it almost frightning  :-\ . So young, so much agression when food turns up…. Heard of 1 puppy that did this too. Is a Goldenretrieverpuppy. Badly breed, bad breeder, terrible condition living the first 6 weeks of his live. But… he doing much better now. So there is very much hope  😉 .

wags

wheres the post that the ‘friend’ did

dilly

Hi, he is a 7mths blue roan cocker. My friend is Misty23. We got him off a lady breeder in Larbert. The litter was in her house and it all seemed very normal and nice. We got her through the kennel club. If we’re out walking and he picks up food I can take it out his mouth no probs, its only in the house. What should I feed him on? Don’t have a freezer, no room, so can’t feed raw meet.

Anonymous

James Wellbeloved or Burns they are better quality and don’t buy the puppy just get the adult the protien is not helping.
    So what is the Affix on his pedigree, why don’t you try feeding him in the garden only out of your hand though and by the way no chews or anything like that, it must be just you feeding him one ball at a time one for him one you want to hold on too
    I am sure Bev could explain this better than I am have the head from hell tonight
    Val

[quote author=dilly link=topic=11920.msg228160#msg228160 date=1215114005]
    Hi, he is a 7mths blue roan cocker. My friend is Misty23. We got him off a lady breeder in Larbert. The litter was in her house and it all seemed very normal and nice. We got her through the kennel club. If we’re out walking and he picks up food I can take it out his mouth no probs, its only in the house. What should I feed him on? Don’t have a freezer, no room, so can’t feed raw meet.
    [/quote]

.dodger.

[quote author=Val link=topic=11920.msg228146#msg228146 date=1215111717]
    I have forgotten how old he is let me know could you.
    The food as Diesel says is rubbish, when I say feed him by hand I mean just that one ball at a time, start with that for a couple of meals feed it on the flat of your hand then move on to shutting your hand with the food in it saying Mine, ask him to sit or down then give him the ball then feed a few balls always one at a time then do the Mine again.
    It’s a much better way for him to learn you are in charge of food.
    Val

[quote author=dilly link=topic=11920.msg228131#msg228131 date=1215108907]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

i did this with Tila and within 3 days she’s perfect – i can run my hand all around her face, bum, bowl and not a word from her. I can also say leave it and she’ll move to her matt and wait until i say okay yours.

Misty23

Hi Jackie,
    Dillan is such a friendly wee soul,  Jackie also said that she can put food on his paws and tell him to leave until she gives the command to eat, that fact that he is peeing when growling, I thought maybe he was scared of something. he is well a well trained dog

kizkiznobite

this is his baggage – something has conditioned him to behave this way – he musnt be shouted at when he does this – it will take time but can be solved with patience and good training

dilly

My husband sat and hand fed him this morning and saying `mine`.He was quite happy and calm so we will keep trying.I was wondering if he’s trying to be dominant as well. A lot of time its just me and Dylan and he can sometimes act as if he owns the place. I’m being a bit more stricter with him to see if that helps. He can give a growl sometimes if I move him out the way i.e. if someone comes to door. He can be quite boisterous. Thanks for answering me kizkiznobite, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Should I not give any chews? Bought James Wellbeloved food for him today.

Sweetypye
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime