Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

HELP!!! I’m new!

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs HELP!!! I’m new!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    hs

I have a 41/2 month bearded collie that I have groomed daily since we brought him home at 8 weeks, but now he has started to get quite aggresive  >:D when I brush him not a happy chap about it at all. Has anyone got any tips.

*Lassie*

Hi are you holding the coat near the skin as you groom? if you don’t and you catch a knot it will hurt. I have a rough collie who will air snap if you hurt her while grooming.
    Val will be on here later, she is a proper groomer and she breeds Beardies so she will be a lot more help than me. 😉
    What I would suggest is keep the sessions short – try not to pull at knots – stay calm, quiet but with a no nonsense approach, it may not be him being aggressive as such just pushing the boundaries due to hormones. 🙂   

Anonymous

Thud as I hit the floor an aggressive bearded collie never heard of such a thing  :nono: :nono:
    Right first things first whats his breeding, what are you feeding him on, and what are you grooming him with
    Val trying to get up off the floor

*Lassie*

Forgot to say Hi and welcome and we need lots of photos of him what’s his name?

Hello and welcome – do answer Vals questions shes the one to help – maybe you can explain more what you mean by ‘agressive’ i to want to know what your using to groom the dog  🙂

hs

[quote author=*Lassie* link=topic=13031.msg251198#msg251198 date=1226520701]
    Hi are you holding the coat near the skin as you groom? if you don’t and you catch a knot it will hurt. I have a rough collie who will air snap if you hurt her while grooming.
    Val will be on here later, she is a proper groomer and she breeds Beardies so she will be a lot more help than me. 😉
    What I would suggest is keep the sessions short – try not to pull at knots – stay calm, quiet but with a no nonsense approach, it may not be him being aggressive as such just pushing the boundaries due to hormones. 🙂   
    [/quote]
    Thanks for a friendly welcome his name is harley and he is a working beardie we got him as a companion for our 8 year old gsd after loseing her lifelong friend last xmas at 14. Its been that long since we had a male puppy forgot all about hormone surges.

Perhaps he is just testing boundaries as I use a soft brush as he still has puppy coat.

what sort of soft brush –  if its too soft it wont brush him………

hs

I always try to do it when he is calm but latley he has started to snap and struggle as soon as I start. I tried a paddle type which breeder recommended but that was worse.

where are you grooming him – on the floor sofa table?? not sure what you mean by paddle type -you need a good pin brush and a comb – Val can recommend more on that side of things.

hs

I brush him in the utility on a bench I am using a small pin brush,

Anonymous

Working beardie says it all, you will have your work cut out to make a working beardie a family pet

hs

Thanks that was really helpful, I will take it on board

ok and when he snaps struggles what do you do – how long are you brishing him for?

Whos his breeder  🙂

hs

I try to keep sessions no more than ten mins I tell him no when he snaps and try to carry on I do this every day so I thought he would be getting used to it by now

and your rewarding him when hes good – hes not knotty at all is her – does anyone else brush him?

So where did he come from?  any photos?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime