Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

HELP!!! I’m new!

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs HELP!!! I’m new!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    hs

He gets a treat after every session , no one else grooms him and we got him from a breeder near wisbech.

what about when hes being good DURING the grooming session?

hs

He gets lots of praise he has been brilliant with everything else quick to housetrain, loved puppy club we just have this issue with grooming.

ok – can you get someone to video you grooming him – keep it normal and do whatever you normally do – is only way I think that we can help , we need to ‘see’ the problem.  🙂

Hi and welcome  🙂

kizkiznobite

hi and welcome

you are not conditioning him to being groomed..you are treating when done…so he is working to avoid the session…he is working to end it for the treat and you are praising the anxiety during the session….back up the criteria…right back…have you got the stand on cue?…i suggest you teach the stand and get it fluent and then get him on the grooming bench and cue the stand and reward and then off and then back on with no brushing…when you have conditioned him to the bench this way…add the brush…one brush stroke one treat…then 2 and a treat and build it up…have a word for the cue to brush…so lets say ‘pretty’ so ‘pretty’ brush stroke then ‘good pretty’ and reward and repeat and repeat…nice light voice almost a whisper…this is no longer about training this is now re-mod. of the learnt behaviour…and telling him no…being firm etc..is a punishment…turn it around…ignore the bad reward the good and get the cues in

Anonymous

On a practical level, get 2 large hooks put in the wall about your grooming table – one about 12″ above his shoulder and the other at the same height, 24″ apart.  When you lift him onto the table, use his lead to tie him to the hook above his shoulder.  Use another lead to attach to the other hook, take it under his tummy and tie it back on to the same hook.  This way he is restrained and you have 2 hands to groom with.  You cannot hold him still, brush and hold the skin with one hand.  🙂

With 2 hands you have a better chance of grooming efficiently and without hurting him.

travis

Hello and welcome 🙂

*Nat*

Hi and welcome  🙂

.dodger.

hi and welcome from me and dodger 🙂

i’d love to see some pic’s of your older shepherd if you have any :yes:

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime