Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

How to become a dog trainer

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training How to become a dog trainer

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    kizkiznobite

hi and welcome from me and the clumsey’s  🙂

LurcherGirl

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=965.msg105838#msg105838 date=1166616663]
    hi and welcome from me and the clumsey’s  🙂
    [/quote]

Hi, sorry for not introducing myself…  ;D

Jax

Hi,
    Are the ADTB courses any good? Do they give various methods of training, or just one? If just one, what method is it? (clicker, positive/negative reinforcement etc etc) I’m asking because I’d love to do an online training course. Thanks, Jax

Jax

Anyone care to comment? Pleeeasssee?  ;D Jax

Anonymous

If your going to do an online one that will just be the start and you can use that to maybe get on a course in uni. Gracie and Donna are both doing a 4 year long degree course at uni I think maybe they can let you know more, I am going to be starting an online one just for a inside view while i am at home but something always pops up  ::) 🙂

Anonymous
    kizkiznobite

they are only good if there is active practical guided training with dogs with a trainer for trainer

non directed learning is fine but the practical is a must too

kizkiznobite

and… i am mentoring both gracie and donna….interesting the different questions and the different ‘i am stuck’ points  ;D quite fascinating really  🙂

it’s ok marion – guiding not telling  🙂

Jax

As I live in Saudi for most of the year I can only do online  🙁 and would like to know if anyone knows the best ones to do. Is Jenni Watson’s course(s) ok? Jax

kizkiznobite

the problem is that working with dogs – as in training and remodifying needs practical application while your own skills are devolping and it is unfair to do this with client dogs or mate’s dogs that have problems etc in case more damage is done – it does not work either by using your own dogs as these are a known quantity – any course that does not require case studies or offers practical training for trainer options is too weak and many trainer/behaviourists are out there that have done these types of courses – i know – i often pick up the results – there just has to be practical and this is where the membership bodies fall down – yeah you can learn on line how to train in a cue as a generic but when you meet that first dog that wants to take a chunk out of your backside then what – what you do in that moment at that time and in that space and at that criteria can result in a solution or a one way trip to the vets

sorry if this sounds heavy but i feel very strongly about these courses

Anonymous

I would definatly agree with kiz, if you want to learn how to become a dog trainer than you need to have the learning of the practical part. It is all well and good mentally learning what to do but that is nothing when you are faced with putting it into practice ::) you need to learn both at the same time on a course that teaches everything, online courses can not do this, it is unfair on the future dogs that these ‘trainers’ are faced with. 🙁 You wouldnt do an online course on how become a mechanic and not go under the hood to have a look around and learn from a experienced mecahnic would you. 😉

In my case I ama stay at home mum who home educates my three kids so why do they have all the fun 😀 i will only do this online course as a learning insight before i decide (and get the time) to venture into the proper world of learning how to become a trainer 🙂

Many people on this board have had the pleasure of kiz’s help and expertise some have the added bonus of getting activities to work through but that does not mean we know everything about training and can then become a trainer.  🙂

Jax

Yes but surely its better than nothing? I have no other choice. I don’t really want to become a trainer, (i.e. get paid for it) but I have a great deal of experience training dogs in the past and wondered if Jenni’s course would give me another view to dog training. At the moment I teach a basic obedience class – because there’s me, or there’s no-one. I just wondered if anyone had any ideas, good or bad, about Jennies course. Hope thats ok.  🙂 Jax

Anonymous

It may be worth contacting colleges to see if you can do a “correspondence” course with the practical assessments being carried out by video or something.

If you don’t ask – the colleges would maybe know of alternatives also.  ;D

Good luck.

kizkiznobite

with your basic classes that you do now – what operant methods do you use? and how do you assess the puppies that are turning classical to operant?

i can offer you guides and science of learning info and training record procedures etc and will do so willingly but you do need the dogs to apply it all to

Anonymous

if there is no one else for these others to learn from then why not be the best you can be and learn it all 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime