Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

How to become a dog trainer

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training How to become a dog trainer

Viewing 5 posts - 106 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    Nakisha

I’m afraid I haven’t read this whole thread, so please excuse me if I’m saying things that have already been said. 🙂  :-[

I found that reading books of different trainers is very helpful to educate yourself. You can read what they have to say, discover all their different idea’s. AND grab some books about wolves! Their behaviour is very interesting and lots of it are seen between our dogs too. But remember; there are differences…

I saw Fisher already mentioned here. I recommend him a lot! Also; try Stanely Coren! It’s very interesting as well.
    I recommend reading the books of Jan Fennell most of all. I found her idea’s very intriguing.

The advantage of reading books of different trainers, is that you’ll get familiar with many different thoughts and idea’s. It’s the challenge to form your own opinion after reading it all… What method felt good? What methods DIDN’t you approve of? And why?
    Try a method that appeals to you and feels good, but if you do, really go for it and don’t stop halfway. Does it work? How does the dog respond, and is that the way you had thought it would respond?
    Does the method work, or does it fail? Can you say why?

Becoming an experienced trainer will mean practise. And of course, sometimes, you WILL fail. It’s all part of the learning curve… and even though it’s hard… it’s the only way.

If you manage to get your hands on an old book on dog training, you’ll find it to be completely different from the latest insights. Things changed a lot in quite a short period of time. About fifty years ago, dogtraining was based on a pat on the head if the dog was good, and a kick under his tail if he was bad. (Forgive my very blunt expressing…)
    We have learned so much more about dogs now, and there are still lots of things to learn!!

Mudgie

Going to disagree with some of your stuff here.  John Fisher is top – totally agree but unless you are looking at evolution and the differences between wolves and dogs I would steer clear of wolf stuff.  Dogs are not wolves and should not be treated as a wolf  – we evolved from apes but we dont go swinging about trees and I would like to think we have came on significantly from there  :yes: 

There was a significant increase in the training books in the 1980s and 1990s blaming behavioural problems on a dog’s dominant nature.  Many of the training methods used in these books are borne of comparisons between captive wolves and the behaviour of domestic dogs.  If you want to encourage the misconception that dogs should be treated as wolves then why stop at Jan Fennell – intriguing is not a word I would use, go with Ceasar Milans stuff or watch Dog Borstal – that way you can totally mess up your own head along with your dogs.   

Just my opinion but based scientific facts – not everything you read in books, intriguing or entertaining as it may be, is fact.

phila67

If you can find one near you, BAGSD (British Association Of German Shepherd Dogs) run training clubs throughout the country. You also get the opportunity to go on to train as a handler through the BAGSD.

As you have probably guessed its just Shepherds.
    You can find your nearest club here: http://www.bagsd.net/BAGSD%20Branch.html

bowls

Four years ago I set up training classes for obedience lessons. Initially I started by training my own dogs to GCDS gold level and assisting in puppy training at a dog club in my area – after 2 years of assisting  I opened a training club which now offers Obedience, flyball, agility, tracking and many other types of training. We also offer all levels of the Kennel club GCDS. When I have been on courses I have met other would be trainers, unfortunately they have not been in close proximity to where I live otherwise it would be possible to help out in our club. So my advice would be help out in a reputable club in your area and go on from there. Hope that helps

waller540

I don’t think its something just anyone can learn. I think you need a natural flare with dogs and lots and lots of experience. Then, take a course.

Viewing 5 posts - 106 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime