Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

how to deal with seperation anxiety

Home Archive Forums Sticky subjects Those questions that keep on getting asked how to deal with seperation anxiety

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 155 total)
  • Author
    kizkiznobite

you need to get ready to go out making all the signals (self cues) very obvious – like pack up a bag – picking up the keys – making it look as if you are very intent and focused on getting ready

then you move on this routine to involve him/her – ‘right then boyo/girlie am off – see you later’ calm but no fuss or touching him/her – leave dog with a toy and a buster cube etc – slam the door – walk down the road 2 minutes and then come back as if you had forgotten something – in to house – totally ignore – no greeting – no voice – dog does not exist – then go back out again – then come back after 4 minutes – repeat and repeat until you can get 15 minutes – with me/ what this does is teaches them you are coming back – after you have it to 15 minutes – do your coming in routine – still no fuss etc – empty the bag – put the keys away – make a cuppa – then sit down and speak to him/her – daft voice time – will then what you been up to me been busy sort of chat – dont over do the fuss – pick up a magazine etc

eventually s/he will get the idea that it is ok to be left – and leaving means something good is going to happen cos s/he gets a buster cube etc and you are coming back

it might help to begin with if you leave a radio or tv on low – turn down an answer machine/phone signal so s/he doesnt get startled and can’t hear your voice

xtine

Great thread which I’m sure lots will find useful!

Can i check something?

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=5690.msg93129#msg93129 date=1163423702]
    – ‘right then boyo/girlie am off – see you later’ calm but no fuss or touching him/her – leave dog with a toy and a buster cube etc – slam the door – walk down the road 2 minutes and then come back as if you had forgotten something – in to house – totally ignore – no greeting – no voice – dog does not exist – then go back out again – then come back after 4 minutes – repeat and repeat until you can get 15 minutes

[/quote]

You leave the house for 2 mins, then come back… ignore…. then after a few mins go back out or later the same day? I think what I’m trying to ask is do you keep leaving the house like a mad woman over and over in the same ‘session’ until you managed 15 mins or would you build up to the 15 mins over a few days? All in one go or spread it out…  ???

kizkiznobite

you leave the house like a mad woman – over a period of 2 to 3 days until you can leave for 15 minutes 🙂

toppy

Thats great Kiz, thanks!

xtine

Great Kiz… I got the mad woman bit down to a fine art!

xtine

Ok….another question….

What if
    a) he barks when you leave and when you come back……?
    b) you hear him barking on your return….?

(Or is that the same thing?)

Do you still go in or wait for quiet??

kizkiznobite

how long does it take him to go quiet when you leave

xtine

He’s quiet when we leave.. we always leave him occupied..

I was asking as it is something i never got my head round in the very early days… It is easy to get it completely wrong and give the wrong signals…

Now he’s quiet when we leave and when we get back (what happens in between we have no idea!)

kizkiznobite

;D ;D well – as he is at that age…….. ;D he prob can’t wait for you to go out of the house

xtine

LOL you are probably right there!!

Cheeky little monkey that he is!

Back to the question tho… what should we have done if we’d got back to him barking?

kizkiznobite

it would depend on lots of things

if it was a greeting bark he heard the car/you etc

if it was a threat at door bark – he heard noise and didnt recognise it was you

if it was a stress bark and it had obv been going on some time – prob since being left

really depends

xtine

In our case it would have been the stress type.
    Now we get the greeting bark.. once he hears the key in the lock

schnozzles

Wayhey!! I’ve got a whole week off at the end of the month (in between jobs) so I can spend a couple of days doing this with Mollie 😀 At the minute she just legs it over the fence to the nice neighbours (we have a large cat/small dog flap), which neither of us mind particularly, but it’d be nice for her to feel happy and secure at home.

Gracie

ive never left gracie, would it be fair/ easier to do it now we in a new house?

and if we mostly go out in the car, should i got out in the car for 2 mins etc, or mix and match car and walking, as i can go out house to garage with no barking as soon as i start car she goes mad, with a you’ve forgotten me kinda thing.
    i can leave her closed behind doors and in the car no probs too, so she doesnt have a sepration issue, she just needs to get used to being in the house alone.

kizkiznobite

yep – go for it – all new – make the cues obvious – as in the keys rattling – picking up bag talking to your self etc etc but dont look at her – just a bye then – see you later attitiude – she will cope  🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 155 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime