Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

how to deal with seperation anxiety

Home Archive Forums Sticky subjects Those questions that keep on getting asked how to deal with seperation anxiety

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 155 total)
  • Author
    MeggieP

Ok – I’m with you!

So as she loves the crate at night and goes into it and settles even if Door is open I will leave the crate at that and no more! is that ok? At night time it is the only time she actually leaves our sides and takes herself upstairs on her own and settles down.

Kitchen is now going to become save haven for when she is to be left on her own – with bed toys etc!! I will start slowly but surely tonight and let you know how it goes!!

THANKS A MILLION!!

kizkiznobite

u welcome  🙂 good luck

MeggieP

Update on last night!!

Ok so I went home and boyf and Meg were in the garden – we took her for a walk gave her tea, fresh water – all toys – bed and kongs were in the kitchen. We started all the cues and left the room shut the door and sat on the front door step for two minutes – we walked back in like we had forgotten something and then after a minute picked up the keys shut the door again and went out for another two.

She howled the whole time!!! sticking with it though!!!

kizkiznobite

are you leaving a radio or tv on – and remember to turn down the answer machine if it has your voice on it

kizkiznobite

what are you filling the kongs with – and is it the tough one?

MeggieP

We leave radio 4 on so there are constantly people talking and unplug the phone even though it’s not my voice.

We pup her favorite biscuit treats in the kong – and the kong paste stuff that was reccomended by puppy school trainer.

The vet reccomended ostrich chews – Very random I thought but these seem to keep her occupied.

The thing is that whilst we were in the kitchen she was really occupied with the kong and chews as soon as the door goes the howling starts!! I’m sure she will get used to it!

It;s puppy training tonight!!! re-call is going well just hard to get her to pay attention whilst so many other dogs are around! 

kizkiznobite

loads on here re kong fillings – loads and loads – dump the paste it full of crap  ;D freeze them – they last longer – make them more interesting and hard to work at – also get a buster cube  ;D

Gracie

and dont just give the kong/buster cube when you go out! is that right bev??
    coz that was what i did, and my dog will eat kong while im there but but not touch when im not there, and would then happily munch when i returned!

kizkiznobite

yep gracie – you dont want it associated with just going out but with go chill time too  🙂

MeggieP

Hiya,

So she’s still barking when we leave the room but last night we videoed it all! We went to do food shop and she was happy playing in the kitchen – I brought out her favorite chew and watched her play happily with it for a couple of mins – pressed record and left the room!

Came back twenty mins later and all was quiet! she wasn’t panting when we came back in and didn’t jump up either!

We watched the video back and for the first 10 mins she barked on and off but not constantly – she wimpered a little bit but inb etween was playing with her chew – after 10 mins all went quiet and in I walked with food shopping! Quite re-assuring to see that she does calm down even though she barks at first!

Lisa33

What a good idea!! At least you can get a chance to see how they are really behaving when your out!! ;D

MeggieP

Lisa – it was just so funny – obviously not when she was wimpering cos we have had real problems with leaving her but it gave me piece of mind to know that she was not distressed the whole time when she was barking she was still going for her chew and wagging her tail!

Still having problemns though because this morning I left her in the kitchen with the babygate so I could open blinds in lounge and because she couldn’t get to me she kept barking!

Lisa33

Oh no!! 

It sounds like your making progress though 😉  I have been going through a similar thing with new pup Blu, I was crating him when going out but my other two roam free, he would cry and howl for ages.  felt guilty he was in there and they wern’t.  So chanced it the other day and left him with just Emmy in the kitchen, sat outside the front door and didn’t hear a murmer!! ::)  He likes to be with his new sister ;D  At least he settles with her ;D

MeggieP

We are seriously considering getting another one – she is brilliant when her little friend comes to play or we’re are around but as soon as she is on her own it’s a nightmare. The problem is my boyfriend works outside and she will be going with him so she won’t be on her own a lot but there will be times that we will need to go out without her!

I think she will get better as yesterday she didn’t scratch the door or chew the chairs or soil the house!

Meg will only go in her crate at night time – she’s so funny cos as soon as she goies out for her night time walk she takes herself upsatires and climbs in on her own! but if we attempt to lure her in during the day she’s wont do it which is why we have made kitchen her new den!!

Mudgie

Train the first one then introduce the second or believe me you will have double trouble.  ;D

Dogs will talk to each other before listening to you if cues are not firmly in place.  😉  Believe me I know.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 155 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime