Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

how to deal with seperation anxiety

Home Archive Forums Sticky subjects Those questions that keep on getting asked how to deal with seperation anxiety

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 155 total)
  • Author
    kizkiznobite

how long are you leaving him for? that is very soon to leave a wee pup just out of the nest

labattsbaby

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=5690.msg154114#msg154114 date=1183120392]
    how long are you leaving him for? that is very soon to leave a wee pup just out of the nest
    [/quote]

couple of minutes to check the mail and back, that sort of thing

kizkiznobite

oh right – thought you meant for a couple of hours or so  🙂

just dont re-enforce anything – ignore him – pick up keys out the door come back put on kettle then say hi but no fuss then sit down and pic up a mag then after a couple of seconds if he not being manic have a play

he needs to learn that you are coming back and there is no need for nonsense about it  🙂

they are noisey dogs though  😉 i swear to doG that gina could shatter a glass with a squeals  😀

labattsbaby

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=5690.msg154122#msg154122 date=1183121491]
    oh right – thought you meant for a couple of hours or so  🙂

just dont re-enforce anything – ignore him – pick up keys out the door come back put on kettle then say hi but no fuss then sit down and pic up a mag then after a couple of seconds if he not being manic have a play

he needs to learn that you are coming back and there is no need for nonsense about it  🙂

they are noisey dogs though  😉 i swear to doG that gina could shatter a glass with a squeals  😀
    [/quote]

Kiz, do you also have a Pom? 😮 Sure, I will do this from day one, or even just go out walk down the staris abd back up a few flight so he does nto get used to the elevator sound and then come back and I will do it on and off. But what when I have to go to the doc and that takes a good couple hours? :-\ And this will happen during his puppy stage :'(

kizkiznobite

no i have a client with two  🙂

Gracie

ok we have worked from never leaving gracie in the house to being able to leave her for around 2 1/2 hours. ideally we would like to leave her for around 4 hours, so my question is now we have 2 1/2 will she be ok for 4? as long as suffiently fed walked watered etc, or should we build it up 3, 31/2 then 4??

kizkiznobite

dogs don’t have the same concept of time as we do so i would think you now all ok – well done – this was a big issue for you  🙂

Gracie

sure was from the day we got her till about 6 months ago she hadnt been left in house more than 5 mins ::) (and shes almost 2)

she doesnt eat when we go out, if i put her tea down just before a leave she will eat that but buster cubes kongs she will not touch till one of us comes back, she ‘shouts’ at us when we come in well moans really, it almost like shes saying ‘where have you been thank good you are back’ etc, but she isnt stressed overly panting so we dont think she has spent the whole time barking, and often she comes running down the stairs as we walk in so she was clearly asleep, so the not eating is a sign of stress isnt it? but nothing to worry about early days still  🙂

kizkiznobite

thats fine – no worries – even my lot that dont and never have suffered from sep anxiety eat what is left – the save it till we come home  🙂

Well done  :-*

Emelie

good post, my 10 week malamute is howlign when i go out room, is this a matter of tiem? he is in kitchen with baby gate on but has door open into garden and can see me in lounge ( through sliding doors), hes not howlign all the time just once/2/3 every 10 mins or so, only when he remembers we arent in same room as him, dont wnat to be with him all the time!

he has radio on……….. any other tips….

also for night time, as he was goign for a hour last ngith, is it just ngiht, then leave?? thats what i did last ngith???

You need to be going out of the room and extend it each time.  You only go back in the room or back in sight when he’s quiet not when he’s howling  😉

Did you read the first bit on page 5 by Bev?

Emelie

yep read it all, been going back in when hes led down and been like for a few mins, and saying well done ernie………

last ngith wa slots better, still howling a little bit but only doing when he remembers……….

kizkiznobite

no – dont say well done – ignore  🙂

*jody*

Hiya, I have been on here a long time ago, but never posted, so kinda a newbie!

I have a 11 month old British Inuit and we have put up with his SA for 9 months.  We thought we’d cracked it with a DAP diffuser and flower essences, but it has returned with a vengence.

I have tried absolutely everything, spoken to 3 behaviourists and nothing is working.  I ignore him for 15 mins before I leave and 15-30 mins when I get home (however long it takes for him to calm down)

He is desensitised to most of my leaving cues, but there is only so many times you can tell a 2 and 3 year old to put their shoes and coats on repeatadly without going anywhere 😀

He starts to yelp, whine, yawn and quiver when I leave.  Basically gets his knickers in a real twist, his greetings are over the top and not normal greetings.

This is what I came home today, I cried my eyes out, I cant take it anymore!

[img width=351 height=468]http://pic60.picturetrail.com/VOL1723/8342838/15558242/288054888.jpg[/img]

It is only focussed on the door I leave from, no-where else in the kitchen.  This is stairgate number 3 and set of wood round the doorframes number 2.  The first stairgate was a metal one and he took several baby teeth out.  He also scratched and digs at the wood until his claws bleed occassionally.  There is usually a dustpan full of splintered wood when I get home.

Any advice please???????  The vets have suggested he may need a brain scan to determine if he has an actual health/brain issue.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 155 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime