Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

how to deal with seperation anxiety

Home Archive Forums Sticky subjects Those questions that keep on getting asked how to deal with seperation anxiety

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 155 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

oooo dear 😮  Kiz will be on later she’ll be able to help you, be prepared for 20 questions though 😉  got any picutres of the ‘home wrecker’ ;D

Mudgie

Okay just to pre-empt what Bev will ask.

What you feeding him  ;D
    What is his breeding lines?
    What is his daily routine?  Walks food etc
    What do you do as you leave – she will want hunners of details – what you say – what you do – what pooch is doing.
    Do you leave him with a kong, toys etc – anything?
    How long you away for at a time?
    Has anything happened for it to “return with a venegance?”
    How many were in his litter.  What age was he when you got him? 
    Are you leaving when you are putting on shoes and coats etc as leaving cues?
    I got 3 weimaraners and I cracked it with my Nacho – any other pooch should be a skoosh  ;D

travis

Am sure Kiz will be able to help you 🙂

*jody*

Yep, here he is!

[img width=468 height=351]http://pic60.picturetrail.com/VOL1723/8342838/15558242/283680588.jpg[/img]

Playing tug of war with Amber, our 2 year old rescue alaskan malamute. (who is fine with being left)

kizkiznobite

have you contacted me before ? earlier in the year ?

ok – as well as the q’s already asked

when did it start and what did you do say the first time

how did you teach him about being left to begin with – from day 1

where is amber left – are they left together

.dodger.

they are both beautiful dogs!  :-*

Anonymous

lovely dogs, hope you get it sorted :-*

*jody*

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=5690.msg186832#msg186832 date=1194887358]
    have you contacted me before ? earlier in the year ?

ok – as well as the q’s already asked

when did it start and what did you do say the first time

how did you teach him about being left to begin with – from day 1

where is amber left – are they left together
    [/quote]

Hiya, I think we may of spoken a long time ago!  Its started from Day 1.  We were told by the vet to persist with the crate, but personally I think it did more damage than good as we could not train him to feel it was a safe nice place to be.  From  day 1, we have never made a big fuss of leaving him or when we got home.  In fact nearly every day since having him I havent got time to cuddle him when I get home cos I usually have some sort of mess to clean up.  We got amber as a last resort, and she has made some difference, he no longer smears his poo across the floor and wee everywhere, and cry everytime my foot went on the botton step of the stairs.

We have never comforted or re-inforced his erratic behaviour, I dont even give him eye contact and bite my lip to tell him to pull himself together.

They are left together, and amber is most definately boss out of the two of them.  She is very calm and quite about being left, we hoped she may be a calm influence on him and to a degree she has been.

kizkiznobite

ok – whats the longest he gets left

what are you feeding him and how does that fit in with the daily routine of ex. etc

*jody*

The longest is 5 hrs.  He is fed twice a day on Autarky as he gets bad wind and the runs off anything else.  We feed RAW when we can but with to such big dogs it can get expensive.

He has two meals as he eats so fast (he’s very gutsy) Im scared if I give him just one he’ll end up with bloat.

kizkiznobite

raw is real cheap if you get to know your butchers

i feed 5 big dogs for around 30p per dog per day

so how does the feeding fit in with the exercise routines and has he been left 5 hours from day one?

*jody*

Unfortunately no butchers here at all!  Been there, I can only get it from supermarkets, or landywoods but I dont have the freezer space, we will probably go back full time when we get a chest freezer for the shed.

They are fed in the mornings after a few games and tricks which I do whilst the kids are eating their breakfast and then the same in the evenings at dinner time.  The kids feed both of them.

kizkiznobite

excerise? work simulatation? they very active dogs bred to work

*jody*

1 hr very fast walking a day (I cover 2-3 miles if not more) bearing in mind he’s still a puppy.  Once he reaches 18 months I will use a springer on a bike with him.  I have actually also ordered an X-back harness and gangline to use with Amber as she is fully grown in combination with the bike and hope to do this with Dante too.  They both wear backpacks but again, due to development and age with Dante his isnt loaded at the moment, just a couple of nappy sacks and treats so he gets used to wearing one.  Amber carrys six cans of soup.

I aim for 4 x 10 mins training, tricks and mental stimulation games such as plant pot game etc a day.

*jody*

I am going to try to video him on Thursday (the next I have to leave him) if thats any help.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 155 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime