Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Introducing Jake the Sheltie

Home Archive Forums General Category Puppy talk Introducing Jake the Sheltie

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 140 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

What can I tell ya he’s a pastoral  ::) he’s possibly worked out already you come and go you come back to feed him so why give up a good kip to whine  ;D
    I bet the worse problem he gives you will be his gob and when to shut it
    Where does Dante sleep?
    Val

[quote author=danhappy link=topic=11834.msg226239#msg226239 date=1214245429]
    Yep, I have loads of cardboard too from my packaging for portraits  😀

I can tell a difference, for example he’s asleep on the front room floor right now (thats the only thing he doesnt go in his crate to sleep, which is why I think its harder at night), but back to the point, he’s quite happy for us to mill in and out of the room, whereas Dante would follow us or want to and whine when stopped by the gate.  If I got up now and went in the kitchen and shut the gate he wouldnt blink an eye.

[quote author=Val link=topic=11834.msg226221#msg226221 date=1214244415]
    Thats the way to go  ;D could you weave a peice of cardboard through the baby gate so he cannot see you, that is possible the mistake you made before as the fact is you are never out of sight just out the door.
    A dog that gets used to it’s own company is a dog that you can leave easier
    Val
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

*Lassie*

I bet the worse problem he gives you will be his gob and when to shut it

Afraid they are known for that :-[

*jody*

Yep, anticipated that  ;D  But then Dante can be very vocal himself so kinda used to it LOL

He’s very quick on the housetraining too, I think watching Dante is helping him know where to go 🙂

In answer to your question Val 🙂  Dante sleeps on the bedroom floor – had to once recieved council complaint all that time ago.

Anonymous

Bet Jake would sleep there too without the cage give it a few more days

[quote author=danhappy link=topic=11834.msg226256#msg226256 date=1214247085]
    Yep, anticipated that  ;D  But then Dante can be very vocal himself so kinda used to it LOL

He’s very quick on the housetraining too, I think watching Dante is helping him know where to go 🙂

In answer to your question Val 🙂  Dante sleeps on the bedroom floor – had to once recieved council complaint all that time ago.
    [/quote]

*jody*

Im mainly using the cage at night to help him get used to it as I would have to have Jake seperate when they are left due to their size difference, and also didnt want him chewing the place to pieces  😀

He’d sleep on the floor at night now if I let him  ::)

Anonymous

Size is not a problem if they are buddies they are buddies Rough and I both have big and small together he is not going to eat the house until he starts teething and if you give him stuff to teeth on he won’t eat the house  ;D it’s a brain thing he’s got them his buddy ……………………….. 😉

[quote author=danhappy link=topic=11834.msg226312#msg226312 date=1214253335]
    Im mainly using the cage at night to help him get used to it as I would have to have Jake seperate when they are left due to their size difference, and also didnt want him chewing the place to pieces  😀

He’d sleep on the floor at night now if I let him  ::)
    [/quote]

*jody*

Oh I know, just paranoid I suppose, Im also worried if I give Jake something to chew, Dante might nick it and then he wont have anything, if I give Dante something he just parades around and will still nick anything (we are working on this and he is getting better, ever seen a grown dog with a tiny puppy kong poking out the end of his mouth  :D)

From that, nights going really well.  Monday night settled down very quickly, slept 8 hrs straight no accidents, in crate with the door shut.  Only 2 accident in the house yesterday, both our faults for not paying attention.

Last night, 6½ hrs through, whined a little more than night before but again soon settled down.

Next thing I am trying to plan.  Next Wednesday/Thursday I have to do the school run without really anyone to watch them.  Im gone 20 mins max, is it too early to leave him that long?  How can I work towards it?

He eats in his crate, last evening he went in to sleep of his own accord with door open, quite happy for me to leave room / go upstairs and doesnt blink an eye etc so whats the best approach?  I will try to see if my neighbour can cover some of it but I dont think she can cover all 4 periods (2 runs per day)

Anonymous

Just leave them they will be find make sure he’s had a pee as I am sure you would just get ya coat say tat ar and go bet he will be asleep when you get back
    Val

*jody*

Should I remove all toys just in case?  Dante is still learning to shre, although he does wave his tug rope around for a game  😀

Anonymous

No don’t change anything just get your coat and go

[quote author=danhappy link=topic=11834.msg226632#msg226632 date=1214405055]
    Should I remove all toys just in case?  Dante is still learning to shre, although he does wave his tug rope around for a game  😀
    [/quote]

GSPmad

as someone who created a most amazing case of separation anxiety in a dog (that is me btw), i would say, do just the same as you would if you were going out of room to another bit of house.  🙂 i always made FAAR too much of an issue.  ::)

toys i suppose you need to supervise with if there is a risk of dante shredding them and eating bits.  >:D but in that case maybe better not giving them in morning till you’re back from school run.  🙂 just some random thoughts probably of no use whatsoever….

GSPmad

and how does val manage to say in one line what i was trying to say in 5 paragraphs?  ::)

Anonymous

::) ::) ::) sore groomers hands  ;D missing me mate at the moment  🙁

[quote author=GSPmad link=topic=11834.msg226640#msg226640 date=1214406144]
    and how does val manage to say in one line what i was trying to say in 5 paragraphs?  ::)
    [/quote]

:-* Val you get my email? You can just answer the tiny bit at the end and rest your hands  :-*  :-*

And from someone whos dog coudltn give a damn if I flew to the moon………………Val right just say bye and go – I do to Honey and it been known for her not to move from one spot while im out  😀

Anonymous

Have replied  :-*

[quote author=SuzAndTheDiva link=topic=11834.msg226722#msg226722 date=1214423899]
    :-* Val you get my email? You can just answer the tiny bit at the end and rest your hands  :-*  :-*

And from someone whos dog coudltn give a damn if I flew to the moon………………Val right just say bye and go – I do to Honey and it been known for her not to move from one spot while im out  😀
    [/quote]

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 140 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime