Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Labradoodle, Schnoodle, Cockapoo, Spoodle, Yorkiepoo

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Labradoodle, Schnoodle, Cockapoo, Spoodle, Yorkiepoo

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 427 total)
  • Author
    Brainless

[quote author=x-Haz-x link=topic=214.msg77011#msg77011 date=1159554378]
    OK I need urgent advice. A “friend” of mine is planning to get a Labradoodle as she likes the look of it!  ::)  😮 I’ve given her a website address of someone who sold a pup to Graham Norton, they look ok. How can I put her onto a different breed please?  >:(

Thanks  🙂
    [/quote]

If it isn’t too late get her info on Curly coated Retrievers, Irish water Spaniels, Lagotta Romagnola or Spanish Water dogs.  Quite the range of sizes ans amount of curl she could want, and all are Gundogs that will breed true to type.

Of course she could have one of the 3 poodle breeds and have the hair cut in any style she wanted including leaving the head whiskery.

Anonymous

what about australian labradoodles ?

Brainless

[quote author=rooooooooby link=topic=214.msg181956#msg181956 date=1193050508]
    what about australian labradoodles ?
    [/quote]

Seems they are getting health issues ans are having to  introduce outside blood again.

You cannot develop a breed that is healthy unless you have a very wide gene base to start with.  this means thousands of extra dogs bred just to get those worthy of being bred on from, and this pattern being repeated over and over.

This has been the whole problem with our established breeds that either gene pools were small, or because of war, lack of interest there have been times when there were few being bred causing genetic bottlenecks.

The breeders of established breeds are working hard with the aid of DNA research to eradicate the problems unwittingly fixed in their breeds.

Why would anyone want to do this all over again.

there is absolutely no need at all there are enough breeds already out there to suit every taste.

Labradoodles seem to be trying to reinvent the wheel, when there are already at least four breeds that come to mind with these traits.

Morally I can see no justification for inventing new breeds especially as largely the utilitarian uses for dogs are dying out, and their main role is as a companion animal, and there are enough breeds and the overflow from poor pedigree, and haphazard production of crossbreeds in need of homes.

The Steynmere boxer experiment is rather different.  The excess pups produced were not in large numbers, as they didn’t need to be with only one gen being wanted to introduce into a quite wide gene pool.

Once the gene is established in the first crosses the rest of the breeding relies on selecting the for the trait and then backcrossing into a pretty wide gene pool.  The intention was to introduce a trait into the breed not create a new one.

The same has happened with introductions of outside blood into many breeds, sadly sometimes with unforeseen negative results introducing a problem previously unknown in the breed when hoping to eradicate another.

Anonymous

i agree – see no reason to “invent” pointless xbreeds either really …

kizkiznobite

[quote author=Brainless link=topic=214.msg181965#msg181965 date=1193051244]

The breeders of established breeds are working hard with the aid of DNA research to eradicate the problems unwittingly fixed in their breeds.

[/quote]

tell me about it – clumbers have been brought back from the brink a few times – it only takes a couple of litters to mess things up again  🙁

Mini St Bernard  ::) what a load of rubbish – they look nothing like st bernard. Just badly bred ugly and out of proportion puppies  >:(

quote :

Of course she could have one of the 3 poodle breeds and have the hair cut in any style she wanted including leaving the head whiskery

😮 noooo we dont do whiskery poodles!!!  😉

Anonymous

With you there Suz  ::) every dog that leaves here is my next advert  ;D so we don’t do whiskery poodles either

[quote author=SuzAndTheDiva link=topic=214.msg182026#msg182026 date=1193074789]
    Mini St Bernard  ::) what a load of rubbish – they look nothing like st bernard. Just badly bred ugly and out of proportion puppies  >:(

quote :

Of course she could have one of the 3 poodle breeds and have the hair cut in any style she wanted including leaving the head whiskery

[/quote]

lol most whiskery my poodles get is a moustache – thats it, and a tidy moustache at that  ;D

says she who has 5 poodles in the next two days and all have clean faces  ;D

Anonymous

I do a couple that have tidy moustaches but never whiskery heads, oh dear that would be a no no

[quote author=SuzAndTheDiva link=topic=214.msg182071#msg182071 date=1193082166]
    lol most whiskery my poodles get is a moustache – thats it, and a tidy moustache at that  ;D

says she who has 5 poodles in the next two days and all have clean faces  ;D
    [/quote]

Brainless

[/quote]

Whiskery doesn’t appeal to me either, but the scruff bag look is what seems to be the appeal of the crosses.

Anonymous

that is sooooooo true brainless !!!

[quote author=Brainless link=topic=214.msg182100#msg182100 date=1193098317]

[/quote]

Whiskery doesn’t appeal to me either, but the scruff bag look is what seems to be the appeal of the crosses.
    [/quote]

Certainly is BUT – a true non shedding labradoodle has a coat like a poodle – trying to make one of those look ‘scruffy’ can be nigh on impossible – believe me I know ive tried. Then if they do have the scruffy look they shed and often are no good because the people bought them hoping they didnt shed  ::)

Anonymous

and therein lies another problem … “HOPE” that they wont shed isnt really much good if ur allergic and they do !

Brainless

Yep they could just have gone straight for a poodle and kept a unfussy trim, or a nice sporty Bedlington etc.

Anonymous

oooh yeah now ur talking 🙂

beddies are gaaaarjus (why do they have the odd bit on their head – anyone know)

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 427 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime