Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

leash training to save looking through old posts

Home Archive Forums Sticky subjects Those questions that keep on getting asked leash training to save looking through old posts

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    toppy

oh i never thought of it like that!! i just thought it was because they are eager to get out  ???

kizkiznobite

they are going hunting – they want to manage the hunt

cjane

So, is it important then that you as pack manager, also manage the hunt? 

CJ

kizkiznobite

mm ok – there is no also about it – the pack manager manages the hunt

imagine – a pack of dogs going hunting – some drive the prey some wait for the driven prey – thats how collies became herders  🙂

a rogue not listening to pack manager type dog runs it at the wrong moment – ergo no food
    when you take your dogs out – they are going hunting – if your dog is ‘rogue’ then you have the same effect – so by managing the ‘hunt’ you are in control of what happens in it – we just sub the natural stuff

this is why  go on soooo much about management along side training the cues – if you are not managing then your dog does not have to follow a cue – he will take choice everytime

try and get to some collie trials or just a working sheep farmer out with his dog pack – where there are young up and coming dogs working as a brace/part of team – and watch the way the pack managing dog dog controls the younger one/s – look for the ‘look’ and the neck snaps and the cut off running and grab roll on to back  🙂

Anonymous

Both Buster and Honey good on lead – specially when leaving the house – my mums bad back means Buster musnt drag her out the house – he sits nicely at door – for lead on – when we open door he will go sit just outside front door and not move until door is shut and we are ready – dont even have to be holding the lead he knows  ;D

Good luck Balmy you will get there  :-*

Anonymous

oo thats good nat noticed you said in the post the other day about piper wears a head collar. Bet she likes the lead and collar better 😉

*Nat*

Yeah she does Leighann – not pawing at it to try and get it off!!!  ::)

Although it is quite a good headcollar as they go – Dogmatic leather one. doesnt cut accross their eyes like some do!  🙂

cjane

Very interesting what your saying Kiz.  I went to watch some sheep dog trials that were held locally.  It was great watching the dogs work, but just individually, in a competition.  Took some great pics.

I did notice the handlers can be quite firm with the dogs and I’m thinking we’re being a bit too soft with Tai.  He has started to refuse to do stuff- not coming on first recall, I want to go this way (on lead) and sits down, I dont want to go out.  And (back to thread) pulling on the leash.  OH keeps threatening to buy a Halti (head collar) but I’m not keen.  Keep telling him it’s because we’re not in control 100% of the time, and a headcollar wont address that.

CJ

Anonymous

It is only a management aid so as soon as it is off you are back to square one.

Best that you manage him better  ;D  Is he at the “teenage” stage – being stubborn and arguing  ::)

cjane

Yes, that’s what I thought.  Not addressing the problem.

Think he’s a bit young for the ‘teenage’ stage, only 7 months, but it could be starting.  Lots more to come I suspect, Oh the joys of having a dog!

CJ

Gracie

i havnt been hammering home the training as much as i could have, but have kept on top of the management,and the different in gracie, is HUGE, and i think it is because of the managment.
    the other day off lead,a bike went past i thought …., as she has chased bikes before, but a stayby cue, (i know it should have been a leave it) – but i could see her looking at me and looking after the bike wanting to chase, but i guess due to the management training she didnt!!

kizkiznobite

what distance have you on stay by cue ?

Gracie

same distance as you taght about the lengh of the front room  :-[ (sorry dont know know how far that is?

kizkiznobite

ok – good – really weel done it – not easy that one – satrt to extend it with a ‘wait up’ – from the outer edge to about half the distance again  ;D

Gracie

WHAT???

sorry dont know if i know what you mean?

so can let her go further now, and have a ‘wait up’ cue for the new longer distance
    and the wait up, is that a stop and looking waiting for next cue?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime