Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Limber Tail

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Limber Tail

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    *Nat*

Anyone know much about Limber tail??? My friends 9month old Lab appears to have it  :-\ She’s just come out of kennels for 2 weeks and has dropped a lot of weight and now the tail problem, she’s taking her to the vets tomorrow to get her looked at  :-\

Val

This topic has been on the board before can’t remember the dog  ;D
    It’s something gundogs get if they have been swimming in water that is too cold it affects the muscles in the tail it can be caused by injury as well.
    Sounds like the pup had a bad time in kennels the vet will examine to see if it’s limber tail or another injury 
    Val

Izzy had it once.  It was bent from about the third joint from the base.  She had it about two days when during the night she lept on my bed squealing and shaking.  I think she’d rolled on it in her sleep, it was obviously really painful.  She slept wrapped around my head  ::) and the next morning it was totally better.  I didn’t take her to the vets, she was fine afterwards.

*Nat*

Sky’s tail looks odd today  :-\ Looks like limber tail to me….. she’s turning round and licking it so its obviously annoying her! Whats best thing to do? See how it goes or get her to the vet?  She’s a bit quiet in herself but not too bad  :-\

She’s not been in water…. bit of a chicken when it comes to that  ::)

Val

Get the vet to check in case it’s a break whatever limber tail or break it is painful
    Poor Sky XX
    Val

*Nat*

Ok thanks Val, will see how it is tomorrow! She’s laying on the sofa with a hot water bottle at mo  🙂

She can move her tail, not as much as normal but there is movement there  :-\ It was fine when I came home lunch time, so I can’t imagine she’s broken it,  not just being in the kitchen for a couple of hours this afternoon  :-\

vernahll5

This is also called cold water tail. Your vet will most probably put your dog on some anti-inflammatory medicine and she should be alright.

donaldgreen

The cause of limber tail is not known although it is thought to be associated with hard workouts , heavy hunting, and swimming or bathing in water that is too cold or too warm.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime