Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

oppinions wanted

Home Archive Forums General Category General Discussion oppinions wanted

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Gracie

mmm that chow mien looks yummy, ditto what the others said re cottge pie, needs more and needs veg. Also i would say if you do do a salad, do a salad, not all seperate bits  🙂 (just my opinion tho)  🙂

Izzie

Chow mein looks very tempting!

have to agree, with the cottage pie you want to have veg with it over salad, possibly put the cottage pie into a small dish too?  :-\

you building up a portfolio of diff stuff? Ie pub grub type meals, gourmet meals, etc?

*Nick*

Personally i wouldn’t use the chow mein, no matter how good it tastes it always looks like throw-up…..the only thing I would recommend would be to place the sprouts etc on a bed of hard chow mein noodles..will give it some texture and take some of the mushiness away from the look
    -a patterned plate would help here, $0.25 each in Chinatown

-For the pie plate…use romaine lettuce instead of Iceberg, full pieces from the heart, will give the plate some length…what’s in the lettuce?
    -don’y use slices of tomato, try it with wedges and see how that looks to you…use less ripe tomatoes for the wedges so they don’t spill their guts..or you could use a whole tomato, core it,cut it almost all the way through in wedges then spread it slightly and put a piece of parsley or mint in the middle
    -overall get the salad ingredients closer together…combine them somehow…only deconstruct food when it is meant to be eaten separately and in a specific order
    – the pie looks tasty but try and get a proper formed slice with only some of the filling spilling out

-the fruit salad, needs far less ‘sauce’..looks more like fruit soup, leave the strawberry whole and use a much smaller one…don’t swirl the cream(?) instead place dabs haphazardly on the salad…and don’t use a floral patterned plate for this, the salad is all the colour you need

remember, this is your portfolio, the food can taste like shit it don’t matter..it has to look good and that’s all

**Woofums**

From a photographic point of view, I’d suggest using plates to suit the meals (all one colour).
    Food photographs well on black ones.
    If you don’t have one buy a nice white cloth (charity shop heavy weight cotton bed sheets work well) Drape behind as well as underneath the plate.
    Focus on the food…crop out all extra cloth from the background.
    Each dish should be taken from the same angle.

wow 😮 ;D thanks guys they are all very good points and i will use them next time.
    i will be cooking these foods again so next time i will try your surgestions and see what you all think ;D ;D

Anonymous

Kerrie
    Have you got any catering qualifications  ???

no i havent but im trying to get into a chef job so i can do an in job training

Anonymous

:-\ I would think you would be better doing a college course to get some qualifications where you live it’s like here you have only seasonal work or the best restaurants and hotels that keep all year staff and they only look for qualifications or someone to train up that all ready has some paper CV.
    I know a bit about this as I was married to a top chef for 14 yrs  😉
    Val

[quote author=kerrie and stan link=topic=12033.msg230931#msg230931 date=1216397605]
    no i havent but im trying to get into a chef job so i can do an in job training
    [/quote]

true the problem is i dont have the money to go to college

Anonymous

Well my suggestion would be to take a day job any job (I see there are a lot of retail jobs on the island) and study for what you want in the evenings lets face it you live in the land of catering  😉
    Then you can follow your dream as others on this board can tell you  :-*you won’t get what you want without the paper qualifications
    Sorry
    Val

[quote author=kerrie and stan link=topic=12033.msg230950#msg230950 date=1216403846]
    [/quote]

yep well i will keep you upp to date of how it goes 😀

**Woofums**

Are there no evening classes available ?
    You’ll need the hygiene certificate & there are other courses related to catering available.

GSPmad

not read any other views yet so…

pudding looks good.  :-*

chow mein – not really something you can make look very spectacular – how about something like birds nest with seafood in it (and then i can come and eat it  ;D ) – think with the presentation it about colour and garnishes and things isn’t it.  :-\

salad – just thought maybe the veg looked a bit thickly sliced – they tend to do wafer thin cucumber and those tomatos cut in strange shapes and stuff don’t they?  :-\

my mum’s cousin is a chef – but don’t really see that much of him – don’t think i’ve seen him since i took dorain down to london 5yrs or so ago – so probably won’t be able to track him down to ask.  😀

any help? (obviously the last bit wasn’t, it was just a rambling  😀 ).

GSPmad

[quote author=*Nat* link=topic=12033.msg230862#msg230862 date=1216325799]
    No bigger portions is better  😀

[/quote]

use big plate to set things out on sometimes works well?  ???

GSPmad

[quote author=kerrie and stan link=topic=12033.msg230950#msg230950 date=1216403846]
    [/quote]

have you tried the learn direct link i put up? i have known before them offer free courses in certain things of their choice – distance learning – might be worth contacting them and asking – and or asking your local council re bursaries\grants etc, and the job centre – that’s what they’re supposed to be there to do, help people find work and the training they need for it.  😉

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime